What Should I Expect On My Celebrity Cruise vs Princess?

CruiseFever

So far, we've sailed twice on Celebrity and four times on Princess. We'll book another cruise on both. They've all been wonderful. But our next cruise will be Christmas on HAL's Maasdam. It will be our first time on HAL. I think as long as you go into your cruise expecting to have a good time, you will. If you want something, ask for it. Your waiter, cabin steward, or whoever will know if it's a possibility. And don't fret if you find out something can't be done.

On our first cruise (on NCL), a couple at our table had been on Princess before. They both complained about things Princess did that NCL did not do. We did not notice anything really lacking. We were having a great time. They did manage to arrange with the maitre d' for our table to have dessert souffles on the last night. That's one of the things they talked about the whole cruise--how wonderful the dessert souffles had been on Princess. We managed fine on our two Celebrity cruises without dessert souffles.

We just returned from a 9 night cruise on the Century. The itinerary was great and the staff was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. With that said, and after spending much time on the Celebrity board we expected for much of the experience to be a "cut above" the non premium lines of Princesss, Carnival and RCI. In our opinion the food in both the buffet and dining rooms were not as good as we have experienced on our other cruises. The presentation was sorely lacking in the dining room along with rather small portions. The prime rib was the thinnest cut I have ever seen on a cruise ship. We will address some other items in a review shortly.

flashdog 1........Regarding black smoke, Century puts out it's fair share and the odor is very distinctive at times on higher aft decks.

I guess it is amazing that people can have such a different opinion on the same cruise. We talked to a couple that was on their 5th Celebrity cruise and they felt that the food on the Century was the best that they had had so far so go figure......................:)

Hi Chris,

I remember a suggesting to you a couple of years ago that you try another cruiseline. You were adament against sailing with anyone BUT CCL. :(

I said something like, "Variety is the spice of life"....Your comment was something to the fact that "I love my wife and wouldn't try another, why would I cruise with anyone else?" Not those words but something very close.

Well it seems you have finally tried others. WOW were you surprised to find out that some are as good? Different, and in some areas even better? :)

I also have answered some of your questions about the travel business, which I see your now in. Good luck with your new career. I have sold my store front travel agency and like you, moved to FL. Been off the boards for awhile. With moving and health issues, just wasn't important. Now that I can see again, and other issues are in check, the house built, and us moved in... had some time on my hands,so decided to check in.

Enjoy your cruise on the Century. She is a great ship, with a wonderful crew. One of favorite Celebrity ships.

OH...Just read your review of the Empress of the Seas. The Empress of the Seas was refurbished and renamed. She was still a RCCL ship when she was called the Nordic Empress. She didn't just 'join their fleet'. The name was changed to fit their 'theme'. Glad you enjoyed her. Have sailed her several time to Bermuda and always enjoyed our cruise. Cabins are just a little bit 'tight'. I remember the first time we saw her, what a sight so Grand.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Century, but do try a week in the future. It's hard to get the full experience in such a short time.

Happy Sails:D

Zebster

Zebster-

I wondered what happened to you. I'm glad to hear everything is ok.

Two nights is surely not very long but it fits in a really crazy schedule and should be long enough to shoot photos of every square inch of the ship and get a basic review from.

Funny, when I lived in the midwest I stayed far away from short cruises; it just wasn't worth the time traveling to and from whereever the ship was (not much cruise traffic in Kansas) . Now that I can easily drive to several ports those short cruises don't look so bad anymore!

Kind of a big turnaround here. Back then I was indeed in love with Carnival and was working in the travel biz part time. Now I can't sail enough different lines fast enough and all I do is travel stuff.

One of the (I hate to say) surprises here has been how very helpful the Celebrity and Royal Caribbean board members have been. These people really know their product!

Archived