Uk - select package upgrade information

My Ta phoned Royal this morning and I asked her to ask how much it would cost to upgrade on board and the man said between $10 and $12 dollars.

Well, that's correct because it would be $10 plus 18%, or $11.80.

It's puzzling how there are different answers... $10 plus grat plus either 20% UK vat or 21% Spanish vat....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

The VAT is only an issue if you are sailing from an EU port and your cruise doesn't make a stop in a non EU country. The most common non EU ports that are included in cruises are Gibraltar, The Canary Islands, Montenegro, Turkey. As long as the cruise makes a stop in a non EU country all onboard prices exclude VAT for the whole of the cruise. However I've read that ex Spain departures may have VAT added on payments made within Spanish waters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SUCCESS!!!!!! RCCL have responded very quickly to my complaint and have set in motion the refund of excess payments!

Many thanks to them for acknowledging a mistake and Many Many more thanks to the members of this board for advice and the relevant documentation which allowed a condensed and precise submission of my complaint. Hopefully future UK cruisers this summer will be charged the agreed upgrade rate. Bon Voyage and have a fabulous cruise.

Well Done to you. It shouldn't have been necessary to resort to a complaint when back home and should have been resolved onboard but very glad they resolved it for you. I wouldn't count on this changing policy though given my experience of Royal and Celebrity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope this is true but doubt it. There have been two people on facebook groups, one only this morning putting photos of fliers in cabins and cruise compasses stating the upgrade is 15 dollars a day. A have an email saying it will be 11.80 with no mention of vat being added. I think they're hoping people don't question it. Interestingly also on facebook I have seen posts from people saying goes they've been upgraded for free

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app

I emailed royal Caribbean regarding this and they basically said the upgrade price is $15 and that's it. They don't seem to care if you have an email from September promising the $11.80 price. I've just seen several posts on Facebook from people sailing or who have sailed on the independence of the seas saying they've been charged the higher amount while others have been upgraded for free. This seems very unfair. Not happy to say the least as I'm sailing on her in August and was thinking I could take my email and get upgraded for that price :/

Sent from my SM-G920F using Forums mobile app