Uk - select package upgrade information

Hi Everyone, just back off the Independance I.O.S. for your information - RCCL have gone back on there assurance to charge $11.80(inc grats) to upgrade from the included select drinks package to the new package! They insist on charging $15(inc grats) per day now! I challenged the Bar managers who contacted the shore based team but they insisted that this was the rate and would not stand by their assurance of last year. So please be aware of this. I don`t know if this is a world wide rate which is being applied or not, but they did indicate that for the UK sailings upgrade the cost would be $11.80 until the select package bookings ran out. Hope you have better luck than I did. I will try to write a review in a few days. Bon Voyage to imminent cruisers!

This is why I suggested to another poster to have something in writing with regard to the $10 per day upgrade offer. Royal has a way of "accidentally forgetting" verbal offers. It's happened to us before.

Seems a bit of a cheek to have to pay anything to "upgrade" your drinks package when they no longer provide the one that you'd bought in the first place.

I would be writing to Royal UK office customer services. If it was widely reported on here that multiple people were told of the $11.80 price, then I would use that as ammunition.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise though, all the same?

Could you confirm if they had the increased bar prices in place, including the pre-loaded gratuities, and also whether the maximum drink price had been appropriately increased if so? Thanks!

Seems a bit of a cheek to have to pay anything to "upgrade" your drinks package when they no longer provide the one that you'd bought in the first place.

I would be writing to Royal UK office customer services. If it was widely reported on here that multiple people were told of the $11.80 price, then I would use that as ammunition.

Could you confirm if they had the increased bar prices in place, including the pre-loaded gratuities, and also whether the maximum drink price had been appropriately increased if so? Thanks!

You don't have to pay to upgrade. They will still honour the select package on board.

Drink price limits vary between ships and are $12 or $13 depending on the ship and do cover most drinks.

Thanks for the update. Can you tell me how much the deluxe drinks package is to buy on board?

Sorry dont know the new price ,but i`m sure someone else will provide the info soon.

Thanks for the update. Can you tell me how much the deluxe drinks package is to buy on board?

Sorry dont have that info to hand,but i`m sure someone will respond with it soon.

This is why I suggested to another poster to have something in writing with regard to the $10 per day upgrade offer. Royal has a way of "accidentally forgetting" verbal offers. It's happened to us before.

Your absolutely right.I wish I had copied the written responses from this board.

You don't have to pay to upgrade. They will still honour the select package on board.

Drink price limits vary between ships and are $12 or $13 depending on the ship and do cover most drinks.

Your right of course,but if you like cocktails and the better wines and spirits you will need to upgrade. Most beer and the cheaper wines are included in the Select package. We found most cocktails to be in the $11 to $14 range. They are now displaying the final price inc gratuities on the bar lists.

I don`t think that the prices have increased significantly overall but they now display the final cost inc the gratuities and yes we had a great cruise. Still a fantastic ship although looking a little tired in some of the well used areas. I`m sure you will have a great cruise!

I got an email from them last September with a .pdf attachment that said the following:

Dear ANDREW

Your booking reference: xxxxxxx

We wanted to give you an update on your Select Beverage Package for your upcoming cruise.

We have recently refined our beverage package offerings, and no longer offer this specific package.

No need to worry! We will still honour your Select Beverage Package while you’re onboard. You’ll

enjoy the same selection of complimentary beverages you were promised at time of purchase:

• Beers

• Wines by the glass

• Non-alcoholic cocktails

• Juices

• Fountain soda with free Coca-Cola® souvenir cup

You also have the option to upgrade once onboard to the new Deluxe Package for an additional $10 per day + gratuity + VAT where applicable*. Just visit one of the beverage sales stations located throughout the ship or simply ask your friendly bar staff.

I intend to take a copy of this with me to Miami in November! I personally don't intend to upgrade, but my partner will want to I suspect. I also want this as proof that we actually have the select package in the first place !

I got an email from them last September with a .pdf attachment that said the following:

Dear ANDREW

We wanted to give you an update on your Select Beverage Package for your upcoming cruise.

We have recently refined our beverage package offerings, and no longer offer this specific package.

No need to worry! We will still honour your Select Beverage Package while you’re onboard. You’ll

enjoy the same selection of complimentary beverages you were promised at time of purchase:

• Beers

• Wines by the glass

• Juices

You also have the option to upgrade once onboard to the new Deluxe Package for an additional $10 per day + gratuity + VAT where applicable*. Just visit one of the beverage sales stations located throughout the ship or simply ask your friendly bar staff.

I intend to take a copy of this with me to Miami in November! I personally don't intend to upgrade, but my partner will want to I suspect. I also want this as proof that we actually have the select package in the first place !

I remember seeing this document or very similar before and is very useful. I would like to copy this and use it as an example in my complaint to RCCL - may I have your permission to do so,obviously i would not refer to your post specifically. Many thanks for this

Dear ANDREW

• Beers

• Wines by the glass

• Juices

I'm on the Adventure of the Seas for a 2 week B2B in September. I too have an email from RCI confirming I only need to pay $10 and will be clutching this in my hand to wave in anybody's face when I board!

I remember seeing this document or very similar before and is very useful. I would like to copy this and use it as an example in my complaint to RCCL - may I have your permission to do so,obviously i would not refer to your post specifically. Many thanks for this

Having read the email again and noticed that they have included VAT into the calculation,which still only adds up to $14.16 which it appears has been rounded up to $15. so this is the smoke and mirrors that RCCL are using . Lesson learnt with RCCL - read everything very carefully and then treat it with caution.

We looked into this for our Oasis cruise this Feb/Mar as we booked with the Select package and wanted the upgrade price confirmed. They did so in an email (which I've now deleted) but I also took this screenshot of replies to Twitter posts that Royal gave where they confirmed the upgrade price. Hope this helps.

910dc23e80dc7699e52cb5ce43c64cbf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We looked into this for our Oasis cruise this Feb/Mar as we booked with the Select package and wanted the upgrade price confirmed. They did so in an email (which I've now deleted) but I also took this screenshot of replies to Twitter posts that Royal gave where they confirmed the upgrade price. Hope this helps.

910dc23e80dc7699e52cb5ce43c64cbf.jpg

Thanks for this. It appears from the emails that people have received that RCCL can justify a cost of $14.16 which they have chosen to round up to $15 per day. I know I should pursue this as a matter of principle but I do not have the drive to chase the 84 cents per day or $14 for my cruise. I thank one and all for the information provided and advise all future cruisers to go prepared.

Thanks for this. It appears from the emails that people have received that RCCL can justify a cost of $14.16 which they have chosen to round up to $15 per day. I know I should pursue this as a matter of principle but I do not have the drive to chase the 84 cents per day or $14 for my cruise. I thank one and all for the information provided and advise all future cruisers to go prepared.

I thought they had increased the upgrade cost by $3.20 per day?

I thought they had increased the upgrade cost by $3.20 per day?

The emails i have seen suggest that they charge VAT on the $11.80(grats inc) in the UK, which returns a figure of $14.16

The emails i have seen suggest that they charge VAT on the $11.80(grats inc) in the UK, which returns a figure of $14.16

just off harmony and was charged the $11.80 to upgrade to DX. could still have the select pkge as given. They did not charge my seapass until out at sea so didnt pay the port tax. If add on land in UK then vat will be charged so wait till on ship to upgrade.

just off harmony and was charged the $11.80 to upgrade to DX. could still have the select pkge as given. They did not charge my seapass until out at sea so didnt pay the port tax. If add on land in UK then vat will be charged so wait till on ship to upgrade.

Thanks for this, With the harmony not sailing out of the UK, British VAT would not be applied perhaps?. We upgraded on the ship but must admit we were still docked? we have upgraded on previous cruises whilst in dock with no vat added. So folks wait until your out of the 12 mile limit and then upgrade - it may or may not make a difference.

Thanks for this, With the harmony not sailing out of the UK, British VAT would not be applied perhaps?. We upgraded on the ship but must admit we were still docked? we have upgraded on previous cruises whilst in dock with no vat added. So folks wait until your out of the 12 mile limit and then upgrade - it may or may not make a difference.

There would only be VAT on the upgrade if your ex UK cruise didn't visit a non EU port (typically, Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Norway, Canary Islands).

If you did stop outside the EU at some point in your cruise then the upgrade price should have been $11.80.

There would only be VAT on the upgrade if your ex UK cruise didn't visit a non EU port (typically, Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Norway, Canary Islands).

If you did stop outside the EU at some point in your cruise then the upgrade price should have been $11.80.

We called in Gibraltar during the cruise. This could be a way forward to put to RCCL? Thanks once again. Does anyone have a contact email for the complaints department,I prefer to complain in writing.

Based on the information supplied by your good-selves, complaint fired off to RCCL. Lets see what returns?

Good for you.

I have had quick and good responses by emailing the MD in the UK directly at sleven@rccl.com (Stuart Leven). He didn't respond but one of his team did.