Southern Caribbean - Vista or Sunshine?

Kyndal93

Hello all,

I'm planning a Southern Caribbean cruise for me, my friends (aged 25-27) and my family for May 2018. I'm trying to decide which cruise would be best for us, and I'm looking for some opinions.

8 Day Southern Caribbean - Carnival Sunshine

Port Canaveral - Aruba, Curaçao, and Grand Turk

8 Day Southern Caribbean - Carnival Vista

Miami - Aruba, Curaçao, Grand Turk, and La Romano (Dominican Republic)

First of all, we are partiers! We drink a lot and play blackjack a ton. We usually stay out til 3am and really enjoy a lively crowd. We enjoy a lot of activities throughout the cruise such as great music, funny shows (comedy, love & marriage, quest, etc.), trivia, deck parties, the nightclub, and so on. Another point is we live about 30 minutes away from Port Canaveral, so that's where we usually go out of always, but Vista looks like such a nice ship that we are considering the trip to Miami. Also, I always get nervous with longer cruises do to the crowd changed a bit from our usual 3/4 day cruises.

So what do you think? Any experiences of your own?

I appreciate any responses, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I say Vista! The extra day will be good to explore and enjoy everything Carnival’s newest/biggest ship has to offer!

I did the exact cruise but on the Breeze in 2014. Loved it!Be aware that La Romana is a little……sketchy. It’s not the safest place so you literally have to book a Carnival excursion. There is one little shop surrounded by chain link fence and there are lots of locals all standing outside of it. You can stand in the middle and see the whole thing if you do a360.

That being said we did the Catalina Island Beach Break andit was really nice.

https://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/la-romana/catalina-island-beach-break-428004

Side note that if you’ve never been that far south thewaters tend to get choppier. Aruba & Curacao are real close to Venezuela.

Edited by brepri_h
formatting

Hello all,

I'm planning a Southern Caribbean cruise for me, my friends (aged 25-27) and my family for May 2018. I'm trying to decide which cruise would be best for us, and I'm looking for some opinions.

8 Day Southern Caribbean - Carnival Sunshine

Port Canaveral - Aruba, Curaçao, and Grand Turk

8 Day Southern Caribbean - Carnival Vista

Miami - Aruba, Curaçao, Grand Turk, and La Romano (Dominican Republic)

First of all, we are partiers! We drink a lot and play blackjack a ton. We usually stay out til 3am and really enjoy a lively crowd. We enjoy a lot of activities throughout the cruise such as great music, funny shows (comedy, love & marriage, quest, etc.), trivia, deck parties, the nightclub, and so on. Another point is we live about 30 minutes away from Port Canaveral, so that's where we usually go out of always, but Vista looks like such a nice ship that we are considering the trip to Miami. Also, I always get nervous with longer cruises do to the crowd changed a bit from our usual 3/4 day cruises.

So what do you think? Any experiences of your own?

I appreciate any responses, thanks

Vista for sure! I was on that ship for its repo 11 day cruise NY to MIA that also went to Curacao and Aruba. Great Itinerary, wonderful ship that handled the seas beautifully. For LaRomana, definitely do a resort(maybe Dreams?) for a fun day type of excursion. Otherwise there is nothing to do on your own there. It's like Amber Cove outside the fences, blah.

I sailed the Sunshine when it was the Destiny, so my experience there won't help you. But IMO, a newer ship always beats out an older one on similar itineraries.

And if you want to do something in La Romano, do the dune buggy excursion. It was the best excursion ever. Came back all muddy and you get to drive them through the small town and see the people and sugar cane fields. Everyone on the ship was jealous when we returned covered in mud. It was exhilarating and very fun.

And if you want to do something in La Romano, do the dune buggy excursion. It was the best excursion ever. Came back all muddy and you get to drive them through the small town and see the people and sugar cane fields. Everyone on the ship was jealous when we returned covered in mud. It was exhilarating and very fun.

That sounds awesome! Thanks! I did a dune buggy excursion in Cozumel years back, and it was one of my favorite excursions of all time