Hilton Del Mar Pool

Has anyone used this Hotel for a pre or post cruise? The website suggested reserving your pool chair in advance? Is this necessary to get into the pool? Should we get one for everyone in our party or just get a couple? We won't be there a lot, but may want to stop by the pool to cool off after sightseeing?

Has anyone used this Hotel for a pre or post cruise? The website suggested reserving your pool chair in advance? Is this necessary to get into the pool? Should we get one for everyone in our party or just get a couple? We won't be there a lot, but may want to stop by the pool to cool off after sightseeing?

Look at the Hilton in Rome. Great pool there.

Can't help you on that particular, best to contact directly the hotel for that.

If anything mentioning that the hotel is at the edge of the city... it's unlikely that if you go elsewhere in the morning you'll be "dropping by" to refresh and go back to the centre. You might want to do that one day, the next one you'll probably skip going all the way back to the hotel for such a short time. Also, the area the hotel is located in has little worth visiting: the Blau Museum (Natural Sciences) and, if you're into it, a shopping mall (Diagonal Mar). Other than that...

I personally would choose a different location, much more central. For you to have an idea, this is the map of the neighbourhoods: http://monbarcino.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/barris_bcn.jpg The historic centre is around El Gòtic, your hotel is located in the right southern edge of the map.

I picked the hotel due to its location to the beach as well as I had planned to be alone and did not expect to venture out much. Now I have friends joining me but the other Hilton Hotels were booked by the time I found out I was not going alone.

Barcelona has 3 miles of urban beaches indeed, 10 beaches in total, however, -and this is to one's taste of course- from these, I would probably choose Nova Icaria or Bogatell. The accompanying text to this video http://infocatalonia.eu/w/IKZT9 contains a handy map of the beaches so you know where are each one of them and the facilities you'll find in each. The one near El Forum is not particularly exciting or alluring -again, just my view of course. Also know that, if you're interested, the nude beach is located at the southern tip of Mar Bella beach, between this one and Nova Mar Bella. While nudity can also be seen in other beaches, this one is "the" one to go for nudists.

If you finally stay at Diagonal Mar, you have a tram that will take you to Plaça de les Glòries where you can then take the metro or other buses to the historic centre. There are also plenty of taxis.

I would avoid venturing north of the shopping mall at Diagonal Mar... it's not unsafe per se, but there's really nothing to see and it can be a bit rough in certain bits.

Everybody has his own preferences of course, but to me, it seems a shame visiting a city like Barcelona, rich in all facets, and spending one's time cloistered in a hotel.... And while indeed National Geographic mentioned Barcelona as the best "urban beach in the world", frankly, beaches there are in many other places. Going to the beach is the last thing I would probably have in my bucket list if I was visiting Barcelona. You're gonna miss a great city.

Lastly to mention... I am sure you know this but, there are nearly 400 hotels in Barcelona... besides Hilton :)

Enjoy.

I agree with Enric, I would not waste my time sitting on the beach in Barcelona when there is so much to see in the city. Even a trip to Montserrat, Gerona, Sitges, Dali Museum in Figueras etc beat sitting on the beach.

I can sit on the beach at home. Would not want to miss these great places when in Barcelona. Much to see and not enough time to do it all. Take a picture of the beach as you pass by.

I live in South Florida and have plenty of beach time. As I mentioned I was planning to be alone in Barcelona and recovering from a 10 hour flight, so my natural instinct was to find a restful space on the beach. I will be on vacation. I want to visit some sights but crowds and waiting in line don't sound very relaxing.

I live in South Florida and have plenty of beach time. As I mentioned I was planning to be alone in Barcelona and recovering from a 10 hour flight, so my natural instinct was to find a restful space on the beach. I will be on vacation. I want to visit some sights but crowds and waiting in line don't sound very relaxing.

I understand you would be tired after your flight and the best place to recover would be in bed not on a noisy beach. What I don't understand is whether you are alone or with others why you would endure a ten hour journey to not visit the sights. Doesn't make sense.