Self assist tips please

dukenmelo

You should be given information on the ship as to where and when you need to be for self assist. It will likely be in the 8:00 timeframe. We did self assist on Dream and we were off and in the parking garage about 8:45.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The earlier the better. We did breakfast in the dining room once, and then had to carry two weeks worth of luggage down 3 flights of stairs! We just got off the Oasis of the Seas a few weeks ago, so we skipped breakfast and had no issues with having elevators available around 7. We stopped and grabbed a light breakfast on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I second the tip that "make sure you can manage ALL of your luggage" yourself. Self assist gets very crowded and the elevators are typically jammed up. If you get FTTF your will get an early zone and get off earlier otherwise it will be crowded and you will spend some time waiting in your assigned area.

Its very easy, get breakfast around the time you pull in, then about 30 mins later or so they will call self assist, carry them down and get in line....easy peasy, we have done it 28 cruises

We were on the Dream out of New Orleans in January and did self assist. It was the easiest self assist we've ever done. We had one large piece of luggage (my husband handled that) and one carry-on size piece (I handled that one). He had his backpack and I had a tote bag. We had a quick breakfast and went to the main theater (our stateroom was on deck 7) to wait for self assist departure to be called. We were off the ship and in our car (we parked at the port) before 7:30. We had no problem using the elevator to go down, but we could have managed stairs if we would have needed to.

Like everyone said her make sure you can manage all your luggage. Get good luggage with 4 wheels that can roll quickly and easily through tight openings. There are lots of people in halls and walkways. Yes elevators work but they are crowded.

I didn't get the fttf last cruise two weeks ago. I regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are doing self assist to get off the ship in new orleans. What time should we be ready? Are any elevators running? Its our first time doing this so any advice is greatly appreciated:cool:

We just did this 2 weeks ago in New Orleans. You have to be at the Encore theater at 7:00 am. Tip...when you walk in the theater you will come in the right side doors. They exit out the opposite doors (left side as you are entering and facing the stage. So when you enter go to the opposite side of the room and sit by the aisle...this will save you about half an hour waiting for the theater to clear out. Those closest to stage are the last to exit! We each had a large suitcase and a carry on size and had no problems. No stairs to use other than to get to Encore from your room. You'll walk straight off the ship on the Encore level. Elevators are available back in the terminal to get you to the parking level. It was SO smooth! Mantha from the fun squad was very organized! Have fun! You'll love the dream. Also...follow The Flying Scotsmans (the cruise director) shows. he is so good! Another tip: download the Carnival Hub onto your phone. Once you are on the ship hit the button that says "I'm now on the ship!" It will have all your daily food options, all shows and anything happening everyday on it. You can star an event and it will text you 15 minutes before the show / event to remind you. All that is free. You pay $5 if you want to be able to text someone else on the ship (each person pays $5).

Edited by NewKansasKruiser

The most important hint--- be sure you can manage all of your luggage.

Elevators are working but crowded. Public areas are crowded.

To clarify, some elevators are working on some mornings of self debarkation. Our last cruise, there were Carnival employees positioned on three consecutive floors 7 through 5 who insisted the elevators are out of service. My daughter sprinted past one of them to push the button and it didn't even light up.

So your most important hint is critical. If you would struggle to get your luggage down stairs, don't do it, because the long and winding road to get off the ship, once you get to debarkation level, will be your breaking point.

This is why my daughter and I only use the largest rolling luggage that will fit in overhead compartments. Also means we get the first uber to port because we don't have to wait for checked bags (or pay those hideous checked bag fees if we're not on Southwest). :eek:

My wife and I always do self assist you need to be prepared to carry your luggage up or down the stairs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We do self assist every cruise and have never had to carry luggage on the stairs. We've always been able to get an elevator. The trick is not to use the ones midship. Fore or aft is better and you do need some patience

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We just did this 2 weeks ago in New Orleans. You have to be at the Encore theater at 7:00 am. Tip...when you walk in the theater you will come in the right side doors. They exit out the opposite doors (left side as you are entering and facing the stage. So when you enter go to the opposite side of the room and sit by the aisle...this will save you about half an hour waiting for the theater to clear out. Those closest to stage are the last to exit! We each had a large suitcase and a carry on size and had no problems. No stairs to use other than to get to Encore from your room. You'll walk straight off the ship on the Encore level. Elevators are available back in the terminal to get you to the parking level. It was SO smooth! Mantha from the fun squad was very organized! Have fun! You'll love the dream. Also...follow The Flying Scotsmans (the cruise director) shows. he is so good! Another tip: download the Carnival Hub onto your phone. Once you are on the ship hit the button that says "I'm now on the ship!" It will have all your daily food options, all shows and anything happening everyday on it. You can star an event and it will text you 15 minutes before the show / event to remind you. All that is free. You pay $5 if you want to be able to text someone else on the ship (each person pays $5).

This is great!! Feel like I know exactly what to do now!!

We take one bag each and leave the room the latest possible time, have breakfast then stroll off the ship with little or no waiting in lines. We always stay on the aft so elevators have always bee running for us.