Norwegian Star- carry on bags 1 per person to bring in when boarding?

LoveAtomy

HI,

We are sailing on our first cruises this weekend and I was reading something before that reminded me...

I read that we "check in" our check in bags (big luggages) and bring in something smaller bag first to use before we get our luggage.

So is it One bag per family do we bring in when we board or one per Person carry on bag or personal bag per person? Could that be rolling carry on hard case or do they need to be soft non-wheeled bags?

We are a family of 5 and I would like to know where I should put kids swim suits and stuff we will need.

Also how late do we get all our luggage? Do we get them on the same day of boarding (that night)?

I'm not done packing and I'm getting nervous that I'm going to miss something that we didn't bring (especially for kids).

Thank you.

You can bring luggages that your family need, not one bag per family. You can also put your luggage under the bed in the cabin to decongest your room.

Loading all the passengers luggage are done by zone or location of cabin. So it is hard to tell the exact time it will be delivered to your cabin. But you will definitely get it on embarkation day.

Just assume that you will get the luggage in the evening and bring whatever you need for the day in your carry-on, including medication.

Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You take as much luggage as you need. It is better if you use cases that will fit inside each other so you can store them in your cabin most easily. Unless you have something they don't like when it is x-rayed you should have your luggage by 6pm. In your carry-on, change of clothes, medication, any important paperwork, cash, passports etc.

We've travelled with children and we each carry on our own small bag or sometimes carry on wheeled case. It's got swimwear, or change of clothes, makeup etc. Once on board you can go to your cabins immediately, get changed and freshen up before you have lunch and explore the ship. Our cases have always been delivered by the time we've had lunch and on occasions are there within an hour of boarding.

It depends on the time you board whether you can get to your cabin on boarding. You have to wait for an announcement that cabins are ready before you can go there. I doubt that you would get there to change BEFORE going to eat. We have never been able to do that on NCL; I think the earliest we have ever got clearance to go to our cabin has been about 2.30pm.

The only thing you need to worry about is what to pack for lunch, your bags will mostly likely be there before dinner. Even if they aren't NCL is freestyle so no worries!! [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With kids we once went on a Disney cruise out of Port Canaveral. Someone recommend having kids wear swimsuits under their tops and shorts and bring a change of clothing in the carryon so they could do the special water slide on boarding day before it got too crowded. There was only a short line and they had a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you all great advice.

I just wanted to make sure we can bring in a wheeled carry on bag when boarding not just un-wheeled bag with us.

So whatever we bring, we need to bring it with us whenever we go inside the ship (like restaurants and pool) before checking into the room? This case, smaller bag would be better.?

Yes there is nowhere to leave it. The bigger the carry-ons the more space you will take up so try to eat in the MDR rather than the buffet which will be crowded with everyone trying to feed at the same time and everyone carrying carry-on luggage!! So yes a small carry-on each would be far better.

Every person should have their own small bag .I havea big suitcase and wheelie in which I put 2 days worth of clothes and anything vital in .

The suitcase goes but I wheel the little wheelie

When my kids were small they each had a back pack with their clothes for 2 days 1 night ....bathing suits, flipflops pjs ..were all in plus whatever toys ...small they needed

It worked fine

I once did not get my suitcase ...misplaced by cruise line for 2 days o I was glad I had stuff in the wheelie

Remember whatever you take must go thru security and small xray machines ..wheelies do fit

Now we each get 1 big suitcase 1 wheelie .I carry a big travel purse ..my sons have back packs with electronics Bon voyage

Also I lock everything with TSA locks plus always tip the luggage handler ...very important

Michele

Just some clarification regarding access to rooms, and leaving carry on bags places.

Firstly, whether you can drop your bags off in your room soon after boarding. It depends. On many cruises the doors to access the room corridors are closed. I'm sure they could be opened, but personally I wouldn't try it.

From memory, the doors were closed on many floors when we were on the Star last year.

If those doors are open, we usually wander down there fairly early (before the announcement that rooms are ready) and drop off our carry on bags. We usually speak to the room steward if they are around to say what we are doing, and they always seem quite happy with this. I don't think I would want to plan on changing there or anything like that, as you could easily start getting the the way if you do that.

Obviously there may be a security risk if you leave your bags, as the doors are often left open even if the steward isn't around.

As for dropping bags off elsewhere, I have seen rooms set up for people to drop their carry on bags if they want. I specifically remember it on the Epic, and had assumed it was a standard thing. It isn't something I would pay too much attention to.

Basically, I would take any carry on bags under the assumption that you will have to keep hold of them until your rooms are available, and that could be a couple of hours after boarding. If you can drop them off somewhere then that is a bonus.

they might print something about # of bags or weight. In practice, you can take just about anything for checked or carryon. We always travel with one rollaboard. No big deal to drag around the ship and go eat with it. On our last two week vacation, we only had 2 roll aboards. So, we did not check any bags on the pier.

On one cruise, years ago, we actually took our regular suitcase with us onboard.

Yes, most ships have a place to "check" your carryons. We still prefer to just take it with us.

As for dropping bags off elsewhere, I have seen rooms set up for people to drop their carry on bags if they want. I specifically remember it on the Epic, and had assumed it was a standard thing. It isn't something I would pay too much attention to.

It is standard (usually one of the lounges) but only for the short period from the start of boarding until the cabins are ready - as soon as cabins are ready one must collect their bags.

We've only done that once when we had a lot of liquids (six people with several bottles of wine, cases of water and some sodas - before the policy change, obiviously) that we didn't want to haul to MDR for lunch with us.

We've travelled with children and we each carry on our own small bag or sometimes carry on wheeled case. It's got swimwear, or change of clothes, makeup etc. Once on board you can go to your cabins immediately, get changed and freshen up before you have lunch and explore the ship. Our cases have always been delivered by the time we've had lunch and on occasions are there within an hour of boarding.

It's always been our experience that we cannot get into our cabins for a couple of hours, not right away but that said, it seems to be our luck that we are always delayed boarding because of immigration check of the crew, health inspection, and Coast Guard inspection and this is always before boarding therefore, delaying the boarding and delaying the room access. Last time we hit all 3 inspections, we are lucky NOOOTTT!

Thank you all great advice.

I just wanted to make sure we can bring in a wheeled carry on bag when boarding not just un-wheeled bag with us.

So whatever we bring, we need to bring it with us whenever we go inside the ship (like restaurants and pool) before checking into the room? This case, smaller bag would be better.?

Any bag where it will fit and easy to handle when moving around the ship. Your kids can have their swim wear in their own backpack. Others can have a small bag with rollers too.

HI,

We are sailing on our first cruises this weekend and I was reading something before that reminded me...

I read that we "check in" our check in bags (big luggages) and bring in something smaller bag first to use before we get our luggage.

So is it One bag per family do we bring in when we board or one per Person carry on bag or personal bag per person? Could that be rolling carry on hard case or do they need to be soft non-wheeled bags?

We are a family of 5 and I would like to know where I should put kids swim suits and stuff we will need.

Also how late do we get all our luggage? Do we get them on the same day of boarding (that night)?

I'm not done packing and I'm getting nervous that I'm going to miss something that we didn't bring (especially for kids).

Thank you.

You can carry as much or as little as you want with you. It has to fit through the hand-carry x-ray machine if you are going to hand carry it.

The recommendation is to leave your large luggage with the porter, and they will have it brought on board and delivered to your room. Your hand carry should be valuables and items that you will need during the first few hours (i.e., before dinner) on the ship. Swim suits, etc., if you are headed right to the pool.