Opinions on the ships that will be sailing out of Galveston in the next years?

Hi, We have been sailing on Carnival and others (I know - boo hiss ;) ) since we had a bad experience on RCI many years ago.

I would like to hear what people think that have sailed out of Galveston. What cruises/ships do you think are the best? Over the years, we have sailed RCI, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival out of Galveston; we missed our chance for NCL. We've done most of the ports but always find something new to do. But it really is about the ship for us. So comments on cabins, food, and drinks are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Wife and I did RC Mariner of the Seas last sailing in '13 from Galveston before she moved overseas. Was the first time cruising for both of us. Just last year we switched up and took our kids on Carnival Breeze. For us, between those two ships, Mariner really gave us that "wow factor" Don't get me wrong, we loved Breeze as well, especially for our kids but Mariner felt fancier which is funny because we're two regular country folks from Texas and fancy isn't really our thing but it also didn't feel snobby either if that makes sense. Breeze was a huge ship in comparison to the Mariner and kids had a blast doing lots of exploring. With that being said, I just booked us a cruise on Liberty of the Seas and we can't wait. This will sound cliche' but growing up with parents who cruised all the time back in the 70's and 80's and hearing their stories and experiences on ships, RC gave us more of THAT feeling for lack of better words. Both have great offerings depending on what your needs are. From Galveston, port choices typically run the same regardless of line you choose. While we've never had bad experiences on either line, I'd say no greater time than the present to jump back on RCCL and give em a shot especially during the Maycation sale.

We sailed Liberty last summer and loved it so much that we booked the exact same itinerary for this summer. Our family alternates between Disney World and cruises because those are the things we can all agree on. :) The younger kids and the teenager all had a blast (didn't see the teen much, lol) and my husband and I enjoy the drink package.

We do live about 30 miles north of Houston, and it's nice to just drive down to Galveston and hop on a cruise ship.

We're considering Vision in January for a short getaway.

We really enjoy the Liberty. We just got off on Sunday and will be sailing on her again next month with our kids. It's big enough that it has plenty of bells and whistles but not so big that we can't find each other.

We're looking forward to sailing on the Vision out of Galveston. We so enjoyed our cruises on the Rhapsody and actually prefer the small ships. 78,000 tons is going to seem really small compared to the 139,000 to 154,000 ton ships we have been on more recently. Especially, now that we are older, the bells and whistles hold little appeal for us.

I cruised out of Galveston on the Navigator, the Liberty and I have a Liberty and Vision booked this year. I am doing Vision because I have not done a smaller ship and just want to give it a whirl. I think any ship is better than no ship! I just want to relax. I don't even care where I am going!

I just repeat my plea for someone to offer a longer itinerary out of Galveston, show some imagination (what a concept):)

I was looking at my atlas, if we can go to Grand Cayman, Jamaica etc from Galveston, why couldn't we go to Cuba too ?

What about Key West ? Mariner or maybe it was Navigator tested Key West a year or three ago.

Wish NCL would return as well.

I don't want much:)

There are options for longer cruises. Celebrity did a ten day partial Panama Canal many years ago. We did book Carnival for Key West/Bahamas. I think Disney goes to their private island.

I'll have to research the beverage packages. We love wine with dinner and that was the issue so many years ago on RCI. We bought a wine package and they ran out of the only full bodied red on the package. Would not substitute another wine or do refund, this was on a transatlantic cruise. Add food issues so bad that they announced that the head chef would be going back to assitant on another ship for more training. We have been on other lines since. But I always loved RCI ships so beautiful.

There are options for longer cruises. Celebrity did a ten day partial Panama Canal many years ago. We did book Carnival for Key West/Bahamas. I think Disney goes to their private island.

I'll have to research the beverage packages. We love wine with dinner and that was the issue so many years ago on RCI. We bought a wine package and they ran out of the only full bodied red on the package. Would not substitute another wine or do refund, this was on a transatlantic cruise. Add food issues so bad that they announced that the head chef would be going back to assitant on another ship for more training. We have been on other lines since. But I always loved RCI ships so beautiful.

We also drink full bodied red and always found at least one good one by the glass, on last cruise it was 16 a glass so we paid 4 for each glass, you can also just get one package and buy bottles the package gives you 40 percent off all bottles under 100 and 20 percent for bottles over 100, A few years ago Hal used to allow you to bring on unlimited wines then charge 18 corkage we always brought on a case or more.

We've done Navigator and Liberty and are doing Liberty again in 2 weeks! Heard a rumor last year that a Quantum class MIGHT be coming to Galveston someday, but haven't seen anything official. Vision looks interesting since we're never done that class ship. Driving down from DFW isn't bad as air travel pre/post sucks nearly all the joy out of a cruise vacation for me.

I'd like to see Celebrity come into town to do some short sailings. I have a lot of friends my age (kids in elementary school) who would love to do a fun long weekend without the kids, but we want something more fun than Carnival or RC.

We've done Navigator and Liberty and are doing Liberty again in 2 weeks! Heard a rumor last year that a Quantum class MIGHT be coming to Galveston someday, but haven't seen anything official. Vision looks interesting since we're never done that class ship. Driving down from DFW isn't bad as air travel pre/post sucks nearly all the joy out of a cruise vacation for me.

I keep hearing that an Oasis class is coming, but apparently the port isn't anywhere near big enough.

We also drink full bodied red and always found at least one good one by the glass, on last cruise it was 16 a glass so we paid 4 for each glass, you can also just get one package and buy bottles the package gives you 40 percent off all bottles under 100 and 20 percent for bottles over 100, A few years ago Hal used to allow you to bring on unlimited wines then charge 18 corkage we always brought on a case or more.

News, we can use! Yes we have brought on a case on many lines, Princess, Celebrity, Oceania, you get your choice of wine, they get the corkage fee.

Thanks, everyone is being very helpful.

I keep hearing that an Oasis class is coming, but apparently the port isn't anywhere near big enough.

I don't think the shore facilities are adequate for that amount of guests, especially if they still schedule for the same day as Carnival.

I don't think the shore facilities are adequate for that amount of guests, especially if they still schedule for the same day as Carnival.

In years past, the Port of Galveston had 3 ships on the same day, moving 18,000 plus passengers.

It is doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Port depth and width are big enough . Carnival terminal is one of larger in US and the new one just completed for RCL would be adequate for larger ship. Maybe some additional expansion would be needed but not much .

With 6 ships next year and Princess wanting to return there would be issues and challenges.

Edited by ssb

A third terminal is desired by city and port officials. It's coming but just when?