Couple Questions about the sunshine and if that would be the best.....

Hey guys, new here and thought this would be a good place to ask a couple questions. Long story short I finally talked my boyfriend into going on a cruise with me he has never been on a cruise before. We were looking at the carnival sunshine out of port canaveral next march on its 8 day eastern Caribbean. Was looking at booking a balcony room for us, but I was curious what was everyone's thoughts on the sunshine that have been on it before and if it would be a decent boat to take a new cruiser on. I originally wanted to take him on Oasis but I think that would be overwhelming on a first go. Also when I signed onto my carnival status had dropped from platinum to gold, and I can't figure out why? Thanks everyone in advance.

Hey guys, new here and thought this would be a good place to ask a couple questions. Long story short I finally talked my boyfriend into going on a cruise with me he has never been on a cruise before. We were looking at the carnival sunshine out of port canaveral next march on its 8 day eastern Caribbean. Was looking at booking a balcony room for us, but I was curious what was everyone's thoughts on the sunshine that have been on it before and if it would be a decent boat to take a new cruiser on. I originally wanted to take him on Oasis but I think that would be overwhelming on a first go. Also when I signed onto my carnival status had dropped from platinum to gold, and I can't figure out why? Thanks everyone in advance.

You will find mixed reviews on the Sunshine. I sailed her twice last year and really loved it. The serenity deck is wonderful. The Havana Bar is a great place to eat and listen to live music in the evenings. I always have a balcony room. Nothing better than having coffee on the balcony in the morning. A glass of wine in the evening, while watching the stars. So many food options to be found on the Sunshine. JiJi's and Cucina Del Capitan were definitely worth the extra $15 in my option. Go any enjoy. You decide fir yourself if the Sunshine is for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too read way too many negative reviews on the Sunshine that I almost canceled and booked another ship for our March/ 16 cruise.. Boy am I glad I don't listen to other people!!!

We had a great time.. the O.P is right about Ji Ji's.. best meal on a cruise in a long time.

The Sunshine has its weird quirks.. horrible comedy club lay out.. just get there early, people expect to arrive as the show starts and get a great seat.. that aint gonna happen..

Main lounge works the same.. we hated the seats on the floor.. preferred to sit up a bit on the sides.

We had a GREAT time.. wonderful people.. beautiful ship... and the nicest Serenity deck so far.

People LOVE to snark on here like its their job!!

Enjoy the ship.. we had fun!

P.S.. it was our 18th on Carnival

I too read way too many negative reviews on the Sunshine that I almost canceled and booked another ship for our March/ 16 cruise.. Boy am I glad I don't listen to other people!!!.......

The Sunshine has its weird quirks..

We had a GREAT time.. wonderful people.. beautiful ship... and the nicest Serenity deck so far.

People LOVE to snark on here like its their job!!

Enjoy the ship.. we had fun!

We loved the Sunshine as well. Be familiar with the deck plans for the public decks and you'll be good to go. Service was excellent!

We always book balconies - enjoy room service breakfast and coffee out there ... and wine or a drink watching the stars at night.

The only negative thing I hear repeatedly is the crowds. When she changed from Destiny to Sunshine they added a lot more public spaces/cabins, and now the ship always seems to feel crowded.

I wouldn't sail on her.

The Serenity deck does look amazing though!!!!!!

:cool:

I agree with all the positive comments above and then some. We have sailed the Sunshine 4 times now and have it booked for 3 more cruises. Can't go wrong with the Sunshine. Some of the best food, crew and Officers in the Carnival fleet. Pay no attention to the reports of crowding unless you spend a lot of time in the pool. The serenity deck is great as is the Red Frog Pub. Go enjoy it all. ;p

Loved the sunshine so much that even after saying we wouldnt go on the same ship twice before we tried them, we are sailing her again. Currently our favorite carnival ship hands down.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I was hesitant about booking the Sunshine because of all the negatives about crowding, but we wanted to do the Canada/NE itinerary again and it's the only Carnival ship that goes there. To solve the overcrowding, I booked us an aft wrap with that big balcony - which I wouldn't normally do for a cruise going north. At least we have a retreat with our own lounge chairs ;p

We don't do the shows much, so that shouldn't be an issue for us, and I've heard the food venues are great. I hope to do the ropes course - it' looks like fun. And we love the itinerary.

I think you have to look at what you want out of a cruise, and see if the ship and/or line can provide that.

The buffet set up is the best of any carnival ship ive been on.

That's good to know! I've heard that the Havana Bar is the best place to get a table. I'm getting excited for this cruise and I wasn't so excited (except for the itinerary) when we first booked it.

We also love the Sunshine. Some of our best cruises were on Sunshine. 4 cruises with 50 days on her. Have 28 days more in 2018.

Even though the crew change on all ships, we have always had great service on the Sunshine.

Some complain about crowds. Tell me one ship that does not at certain times of the day. Timing is everything. The Sunshine is no more crowded than any other ship.

Agree with all the positive comments about the Sunshine.

That's good to know! I've heard that the Havana Bar is the best place to get a table. I'm getting excited for this cruise and I wasn't so excited (except for the itinerary) when we first booked it.

We loved everything about the ship. Staff , decore, spa, comedians, activities, cruise director, port, boarding, food, serenity deck. We did the 11 night journeys cruise would book it again in a heartbeat !

Also when I signed onto my carnival status had dropped from platinum to gold, and I can't figure out why? Thanks everyone in advance.

I had this happen to me too and I think it had to do with the changes Carnival made to their program several years back. The good news is though it showed Gold, my boarding pass printed out Priority. I think anyone who was Platinum prior to the change was grandfathered in.

I finally sailed the Sunshine after years of saying I wouldn't. I loved it. I was surprised, but I did find it a fun ship and I think it would be an appropriate ship to introduce someone to Carnival. As long as you stay away from the Fantasy Class ships, you should be ok and your BF should get a good introduction to cruising!

We also love the Sunshine. Some of our best cruises were on Sunshine. 4 cruises with 50 days on her. Have 28 days more in 2018.

Even though the crew change on all ships, we have always had great service on the Sunshine.

Some complain about crowds. Tell me one ship that does not at certain times of the day. Timing is everything. The Sunshine is no more crowded than any other ship.

Agree with all the positive comments about the Sunshine.

The Pride! We've been cruising on the Pride last couple of cruises and it just amazed me that there were no lines - except for the Chocolate Extravaganza thing - and even that wasn't as long as any I've seen on other ships. You want a Guys - maybe 2-3 people ahead of you at lunch time. Same with the Blue Iguana and Sea Day Brunch. And it never felt crowded - there were times I thought everyone was hiding out in their cabins.

On other ships - you're right - lines and crowds depending on what was going on. I have to admit I was flabbergasted with the Pride. It's my new favorite ship. One cruise was in early June when PA & MD kids had finished school, and another was in April when NY & some NJ schools were on Spring Break (I checked PA & MD and thought I'd be safe!)

But I'm glad to hear good things about the Sunshine. I loved that pool with the waterfall first time I saw it, but then I heard all the negative stuff, and we've been avoiding it. It's going to be great to sail out of NYC again!

On the Sunshine we could always find a table in the Havana Bar area for breakfast or lunch - often by a window.

Choices for lunch are amazing ...

Asian or Italian or Cuban back in the Havana Bar area...

Deli and Pizza at the rear of the Lido buffet ...

The Lido Buffet ...

Mexican and Guys out by the pool.... (Guys normally only had a line the first 30 minutes it was open then it eased up to a quickie line.

Weird question. During the day I like being on Lido with "the crowds" and being in the middle of the "action." I just LOVE to people watch! And at night right before dinner and for a bit here and there after, I am an Atrium gal. I just love the hustle and bustle and watching the elevators and people rushing to and from all their fun things to do! I LOVE the Pride atrium...can anyone tell me about the Sunshine atrium? Shout out to Kat and Jamman!

I LOVE the Pride atrium...can anyone tell me about the Sunshine atrium? Shout out to Kat and Jamman!

Shouting back at you Karen! Love the atrium on the Pride. Fun place to be!

Looking forward to the Sunshine though and cruising out of NY again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shouting back at you Karen! Love the atrium on the Pride. Fun place to be!

Looking forward to the Sunshine though and cruising out of NY again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are too! DS and DIL are in NY now getting off the Breakaway cruise to BERMUDA! They are NOT happy lol. :(:( Wish we were going the same week as you. Enjoy that great cabin!

Weird question. During the day I like being on Lido with "the crowds" and being in the middle of the "action." I just LOVE to people watch! And at night right before dinner and for a bit here and there after, I am an Atrium gal. I just love the hustle and bustle and watching the elevators and people rushing to and from all their fun things to do! I LOVE the Pride atrium...can anyone tell me about the Sunshine atrium? Shout out to Kat and Jamman!

The Sunshine has a GREAT atrium for people watching. :cool:

CS0730-X3.jpg

CS0731-X3.jpg