Help needed

AnnetteSC

We'll be sailing on the Azamara Quest on June 12, 2017 for a Mediterranean cruise. I joined the Roll Call and have been checking it daily (I've also been checking this forum).

We booked late (5 weeks prior to departure date) but I've been extremely ill for the past 2 weeks, leaving me with only 3 weeks to plan everything!

I have done some research and read reviews for tour companies in Italy and Greece. I have Greece covered but I'm having a hard time with Italy. In fact, my roll call is very, very small (22 ppl I believe) and they are all set already with their tours.

I know CC has rules about keeping requests to join tours to roll call but how can you spread the word when roll call is almost non-existent?

There are only 3 of us in our party and, doing the tours privately, would be extremely expensive for us. Our DD15 is really looking forward to seeing the famous sites in Italy but, at this point, I'm unsure we'll be able to do them.

Most of the tour companies I've checked with so far will only be worth it if you can share with a minimum of 6-8 ppl. The cruise-ship excursions are even worse (as far as price). I know there are a lot of recommendations to do it interdependently but DH is not interested in trains, buses or ferries. This is new territory to us and he feels better going with a tour. Are there affordable tours for very small groups?

We want to do: 1) Florence and Pisa; 2) Rome with Vatican; Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano.

How would you handle this situation if you were me?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

At this point in time I think you should book your excursions through the cruise line. I wouldn't risk trying to book private excursions with fellow passengers through CC. Most have already firmed up their plans by now. But, you can try going to http://www.romeinlimo.com and inquiring about private excursions if you really want to go that route. I have used them in the past and they were great. They still may have room on some excursions. They are in most major cities in Italy. Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can actually get Rome in Limo at this late date I would jump on it. We have used them 6 times in Italy. Do exactly what they tell you to do about ordering tickets ..... you won't regret using RIL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be sailing on the Azamara Quest on June 12, 2017 for a Mediterranean cruise. I joined the Roll Call and have been checking it daily (I've also been checking this forum).

We booked late (5 weeks prior to departure date) but I've been extremely ill for the past 2 weeks, leaving me with only 3 weeks to plan everything!

I have done some research and read reviews for tour companies in Italy and Greece. I have Greece covered but I'm having a hard time with Italy. In fact, my roll call is very, very small (22 ppl I believe) and they are all set already with their tours.

I know CC has rules about keeping requests to join tours to roll call but how can you spread the word when roll call is almost non-existent?

There are only 3 of us in our party and, doing the tours privately, would be extremely expensive for us. Our DD15 is really looking forward to seeing the famous sites in Italy but, at this point, I'm unsure we'll be able to do them.

Most of the tour companies I've checked with so far will only be worth it if you can share with a minimum of 6-8 ppl. The cruise-ship excursions are even worse (as far as price). I know there are a lot of recommendations to do it interdependently but DH is not interested in trains, buses or ferries. This is new territory to us and he feels better going with a tour. Are there affordable tours for very small groups?

We want to do: 1) Florence and Pisa; 2) Rome with Vatican; Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano.

How would you handle this situation if you were me?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure you are leaving yourself any options -- you say ship tours and private tours for you alone are too expensive, group tours through your roll call aren't possible, and your husband won't consider doing the ports under your own steam. Plus you booked late and it's three weeks out.

There isn't any magic wand we can wave -- there is no inexpensive, fully inclusive tours for three that would include all the "wish list" items you have above for each port, and if there were they'd probably already be fully booked up.

You are going to have to seriously consider your alternatives. Either pony up the money for ship tours or (better) private tours for three -- again, if you can find them. Or consider doing some ports on your own steam.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Has anyone used the hop-on-hop-off bus in Rome? If so, how easy is it to do the highlights of the city plus Vatican by using it?

Most of us don't recommend the HOHO bus if you only have a limited port day in Rome. The buses take a while to get around and especially if you plan to hop off and hop on at various sites, you will spend far too much time waiting for them to show up.

It would be better to perhaps tell us what are the "must see" highlights for you -- being reasonable and understanding you cannot do everything in a day. What do you want to do at the Vatican? Going into the museum requires about 2 hours at a minimum. Tickets need to be reserved in advance to avoid long queues.

The same is true for the Colosseum; tickets should be purchased ahead and long security lines mean you'll probably need two hours there as well if you want to go inside.

Taxis are a cheap and usually fast way to get between the central area and the Vatican (about 10-12 euros from the Colosseum to the Vatican; taxis can hold 3 people).

We can help you plan a day in Rome, but we need more input from you.

You are going to need to take the train from Port into Rome (about an hour plus) unless you can book with Azamara for just a city transfer. Getting into the Vatican can involve a very long line unless you buy a timed enterance ticket. If you buy a private tour or book one on the ship for Rome you will be transferred in both directions and have the best opportunity to see as much as possible in Rome.

If you are determined to do this as a DIY then please get Rick Steve's Port book he has all the info you need to plan your day and what tickets to order ASAP (due to last min booking)

A miracle just happened!! Another party of two is interested in joining our tours and, even though it's only two more people, the price drop is substantial! I was able to book three tours with Italytoursharing (Joe Banana limo) despite the last minute crunch!!!

I'm SOOOOOOOO happy!!!!! :)

Thanks again for all the great tips!!