Norwegian Jade sailaway from Bergen

This afternoon I headed down to the docks in Bergen to watch Norwegian Jade departing. I've now put up a full set of photos on my hobby blog of ships in the city:

http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2017/05/norwegian-jade.html

I thought these might be of interest to some of you here; particularly anyone onboard this sailing :)

20170520_164123.jpg

20170520_125646.jpg

Thank you for these great pictures. We'll be on the Jade - sailing away from Bergen in little over a year - July 4th, 2018. It looks absolutely beautiful.

Do you have any must sees during our time in Bergen?

Lovely photos - thanks for sharing!

This afternoon I headed down to the docks in Bergen to watch Norwegian Jade departing. I've now put up a full set of photos on my hobby blog of ships in the city:

http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/2017/05/norwegian-jade.html

I thought these might be of interest to some of you here; particularly anyone onboard this sailing :)

20170520_164123.jpg

20170520_125646.jpg

I want to hear your thoughts of the trip . We are going in june . Nice photo . Looks like we can walk to town from the ship . Is that true for Humberg and the other stops

Yes you certainly can in Bergen. Assuming she docks where she did today, you can walk round the old castle fort and along the fantastic buildings of the Bryggen (a UNESCO protected area). These old wooden buildings are along the old dockside and are superb. You can see both the fort and the Bryggen on the front page of the web site here:https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/bryggen-in-bergen-p878553

You will need to walk round the dock enclosure security but you then head across the grounds of the fort for around 5-10 minutes. The Bryggen is another five minutes or so on the left. As you walk along, the old fishing dockside is on your right and there are usually a few fishing boats moored up there.

At the end of the buildings you come across roads with some shops in each direction. It you turn left and walk up the slope for another 5 or so minutes you will come to the base of the funicular that will take you up the Floyen mountain where you will get some wonderful views across the whole of Bergen (as long as the weather approves!!!) The return ticket is about $12.

If you turn right at the dock you will head for the town centre proper where there are some great historic buildings and a large concert hall. There is also usually a very interesting fish market at the end of the dock.

Finally, from memory, I think there is a ho-ho bus stop just by the castle fort. As is usual in most European cities, the ho-ho is a great way to do a morning trip and then decide exactly where you want to go in the afternoon. You will get a very good idea of what the buildings are and of the historic connections of them that you will not get if you walk round on foot.

Hope that helps. I will add a final thought that all of this relies on the weather cooperating. Last time I went around midsummer it rained a bit, but all of Norway has the advantage that you can experience all four seasons in a day, so if you keep an eye on the sky and the way the wind is blowing the weather in you can plan where to go next!

Thanks all for the kind comments :) It's nice to know people enjoy seeing the photos!

And 'old nutter' is right; getting into town from the ship is very easy from the dock at Bontelabo (as in the pictures) but requires a longer walk/shuttle bus from some other terminals. Norwegian Jade is docking in various places throughout the season...you can find out where she's docking on your trip at the port website... http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/

For those asking for advice of what to do in Bergen, well, you're in for a treat either way! It's a great city to visit for the day. I've started a thread over in the 'ports of call' forums to help people with information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2497578

I you have any other questions, fire away :D

There will be a port shuttle to take you out of the docks but it will only drop you off outside the Hurtigruten terminal building. It is about half-a-mile walk from there to the city centre and apparently the route has been marked out with white arrows and dots. The fish market is about 5 minutes further on from there. I understand there are city centre shuttles for disabled passengers that go direct to the city centre.

The Ho Ho bus apparently only operates when there is a cruise ship docked, so although your dock is not on the normal route for the bus, they may make a special stop near the terminal. Maybe ShipsInBergen can let us all know?

Edited by old nutter
Ho Ho option added

There will be a port shuttle to take you out of the docks but it will only drop you off outside the Hurtigruten terminal building. It is about half-a-mile walk from there to the city centre and apparently the route has been marked out with white arrows and dots. The fish market is about 5 minutes further on from there. I understand there are city centre shuttles for disabled passengers that go direct to the city centre.

The Ho Ho bus apparently only operates when there is a cruise ship docked, so although your dock is not on the normal route for the bus, they may make a special stop near the terminal. Maybe ShipsInBergen can let us all know?

The Hoho bus makes a small detour on its route when ships are docked at Jekteviksterminalen, to pick up passengers from the port shuttle bus drop-off point at Hurtigruteterminalen. Everything is on a very small scale here though, so many people still prefer to stroll into town from here; as 'old nutter' metions, this is only around a half-mile walk. There is a lot of good infor for the Hoho bus on the company website (I assume I can't post a link here) including maps, timetables, etc. :)

Awesome, thanks!

We are on her in 3 months around Norway but shes not stopping Bergen.

I think she rather suits the Norway back drop don't you?

I just saw this comment. I'd say she looks very much at home :D

Thanks, friend.

Looking forward to seeing your wonderful city again on our Jade trip in June.

No problem. I hope you have a great trip! Any other questions, just ask :)