Help deciding Excursion during Rome to Athens cruise on Royal Princess in August 2017

webj

Hi,

We are family of 10 (2 seniors, 4 adults and 4 kids - 15, 10, 9, 3 yrs). We are looking for family friendly & Couples only excursions. Here are the ports that we are visiting:

Sicily (Messina), Italy

Kotor, Montenegro

Corfu, Greece

Crete (chania), Greece

Mykonos, Greece

Fellow Travelers, please recommend shore excursions for us.

Shall we reserve the excursions through Princess Cruises or shall we do it on our own?

Shall we book an excursion on every port or shall we take it easy on certain ports (which ones)?

If we don't book an excursion, can we still go out and stroll the town?

Please provide details and personal experiences.

Thanks a million for helping us plan our vacation.

The best place to find information is on the Europe, Mediterranean board. Also check out your roll call. I'm not home now, but I will link it for you later if no one beats me to it. You also might want to check out the June/July Royal cruises to see what others are doing for ideas on tours and suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Book excursions for some, but not all, ports. We did not book an excursion in Mykonos, and I will never regret it. It was also wandering through the small, tangled streets. It's easy to find a nice restaurant (you can research this before) and the shopping is awesome. My two favorite trip souvenirs-- ever--- were purchased in Mykonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kotor is a tender port. There is a charming walled town that is easy to walk around. The tender drops you right there. In Corfu, there will probably be a (not free) shuttle into the town. It will probably let you off by an old fort, and across the street is a large green space that would be great for the younger ones to run off excess energy. It is a very walkable town. Mykonos might also be a tender port - which can be an advantage because the tender takes you closer to town. It is the classic Greek island town, walkable, or you can choose to visit a beach. EM

We Always arrange own private days.....

Sicily (Messina), Italy: Have been 3 times.... can hail when dis-embark or pre-arrange van/taxis to Taormina & wander. Stop for lunch in the square and meet your taxi/van back at designated spot for return to ship

Kotor, Montenegro: one of our absolute favorite/wonderful ports! Book the Kotor/Perast walking/boat tour with Adventure Montenegro (I have Perast photo as screen saver, look at it every day!)

Corfu, Greece : Do taxi tour with Spiros - he can arrange van for all or 'caravan'. We did Best of Corfu - about 5 hours - http://www.corfutaxitours.com/

Crete (chania), Greece-just take port transportation to town center & market. Poke around & - enjoy...(we did island tour, not worth it..)

Mykonos, Greece- take water taxi port bus into town, wander, get lost.... find the windmills....If you are adventurous & history buff, some of your party (not the children) might really enjoy ferry over to Delos . No guided tour needed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for all the advice. Looking to book few tours in Sicily and Kotor. Not yet decided on anything in Corfu.

Has anyone done the "Speed Boat Tour of Blue Cave" in Kotor? Is it good. Seems to have good reviews (5 star with 300+ people) on Tripadvisor.