Just booked first Transatlantic Cruise - Now what?

Charlami

I just booked my cruise for Nov 5, 2018 from Rome to Miami. We plan to drive to Miami and fly from there to Rome the week before the cruise so we can tour the area.

I've been on a few Carnival cruises but this is my first NCL along with it also being my first transatlantic.

I'm looking for any tips, tricks or clues to make it a smooth enjoyable experience. Thx:cool:

14 days on the Norwegian Star with only 3 ports (Barcelona, Madeira, St Maarten). I really hope you like NCL and the ship, otherwise you're in for a looooong two weeks. :) The UBP should help with that.

I know it seems like a lot of ship days but I plan to use the time to read and drink while enjoying lots of water scenery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fly into Rome a few days early so you can spend time there, and reduce chances of any flight issues. I assume you are driving there instead of flying because....

If you have not booked your flight yet, price out RT as well since they are sometimes cheaper.

I was going to say there are some good airfares to Europe, but then see you are over a year from now. I probably would not book until next spring or early summer.

TA cruises are great, we have done some.

@charlami -

My suggestion would be to go for an aft-facing balcony. Since the ship will be sailing almost constantly, you may want a quiet, wind-still oasis. Anyhow, that's how we do our TAs (13 so far). Books, Audio books and a few videos on our iPhones and iPad minis usually are our main entertainment. Enjoy.

@charlami -

My suggestion would be to go for an aft-facing balcony. Since the ship will be sailing almost constantly, you may want a quiet, wind-still oasis. Anyhow, that's how we do our TAs (13 so far). Books, Audio books and a few videos on our iPhones and iPad minis usually are our main entertainment. Enjoy.

I know that a large number of folks like those aft balcony cabins. In fact, NCL even charges extra for them.

We spent some time with friends in an Aft Suite. We were not as thrilled watching where we had been and like the side of the ship so we can see forward. Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I'm hoping I can bid on the cheap for an upgrade later but for now it's out of my budget this is what I can afford. all of my cruises so far have all been inside cabins. I definitely have been thinking about it seeing s it is 14 days instead of just five.

I guess I'm hoping I can bid on the cheap for an upgrade later but for now it's out of my budget this is what I can afford. all of my cruises so far have all been inside cabins. I definitely have been thinking about it seeing s it is 14 days instead of just five.

Just a tip about upgrading. I am on this falls TA on the Epic, which is still 5 months away. As of today, it is sold out, except inside and studios. Make sure the room you have is the room you want and will be happy with. Don't count on upgrading.

I was surprised by how full this ship is and how active our roll call is. This will be my first TA and I am super excited!

Also, do search your airfare starting in Jan/Feb. Most have already booked for our cruise as well. I suppose this depends and where you are flying from.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I did a fall TA from Rome and few years ago. It was FABULOUS, but: Be sure to buy travel insurance. We got caught up in the problems with superstorm Sandy (late Oct) and some people couldn't get a flight and missed the cruise. We "got out of Dodge" at the last minute and would have had no time in Rome if I hadn't been pretty aggressive in getting us rebooked on an earlier flight.

Join your roll call. I stayed last fall for prior to my TA in a hotel where there were several other folks from cruise critic who were going on my cruise. We did excursions together before the cruise so therefore had instant friends once the cruise started.

I loved my TA cruise. We (mom and I) love sea days. Love to relax.

You know how some cruises seem to fly by? Not a TA. The pace is relaxed and the clientele is older with few kids.

We played trivia every day. But most of our day was spent relaxing on our balcony. Read a few books. Listened to music, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re: Rome

We spent extra to do the exclusive Rome excursion. Pricy but so worth it. No lines. Guide with headphones.

We had a wonderful lunch at Osteria St. Ana. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love transatlantics. I have a 20 day cruise October-November from Barcelona to Orlando...The sea days are great, but i am one of those people that does not feel the need to be doing something at all times. I love to read and i always take the Spa Pass ( i suggest you take that) is mostly for adults and quiet depending on the ship. The spa on the star is great. I hope you have fun.

We are on the same TA, it will be our 2nd. We LOVED the first one. Very few kids, lots of relaxation. We loved setting on our balcony just enjoying the beautiful ocean views. We didn't have a spa pass, never really thought about getting one. There are lots of little extras to do - just look at your daily for ideas. We can't wait to go again!