Tip question for Century, probably number 19,357

Live2vacation

Sorry, I know every conceivable question about tipping has been asked on this board at some point in time, but I couldn't find my specific question. I have sailed on HAL, but not on Celebrity, and I know tipping is handled differently from one cruise line to the next.

On HAL they automatically charge your on board account a $10 per person, per day gratuity. Personally, I love this method.

I found a post where some one mentioned the "Easy Way" with regard to gratuities. Please tell me that it referred to being able to put all the gratuities on my account, so I won't have to track down all these people at the last minute.

Part of my problem is that this upcoming cruise will only be for 2-nights, so time will be very limited. I don't mind giving more than the "expected" tip, but I sure would like to do it electronically.

Can't answer that one for a two night cruise.

But on 7 to 14 days cruises they give you the option of charging to your account. They give you a form to fill out 3 or 4 days before you dock.

On a two night cruise I don't think they would have time in accounting to collect forms and bill you.

Thanks for the reply JORAY. I must say I'm a bit surprised that you are the only response I got. Maybe people are sick and tired of answering questions on tipping.

I'm glad to hear there is a possibility of adding gratuities to our on board account. I'm really hoping the necessary form is included in the initial package of paperwork they give upon embarking.

Anyway, I sure would love to hear anyone else's comments on short cruise tipping policy.

Thanks again JORAY.

Hi Gail, I have never done a 2 nighter...but on my last few cruises

the "Tip on the Account" was always offered. I choose to tip in cash

but I do know they have been offering it either way. It was not sent

in my cruise documents though.....there is a form that was passed

out during the week that needed to be signed and turned back into

Guest Services.

I have no idea how it is handled for such a short sailing.

Have a wonderful cruise.:)

That's one thing I truely prefer about RCCL and X, they give you the choice to put the tips on your account. If you want to you tell them and they do it.

I went on a Carnival cruise and was appaulled that they automatically charged my account for the tips. Yes, I could have them removed, but why should I have to. Give the passengers the choice of what to do with their money. All they suceeded in doing was ripping off their employees. With a reccomended tip of $3.50/day for waiters and cabin stewards, I normally tip $5.00/day. They work hard and deserve it. But with Carnival automatically charging my accouont and being indignant about it. I refused to tip any more. I don't need that kind of aggrivation and all they did was cost their employees $$$.

Give us the choice, we are adults and should have the right to decide how to spend our money. Carnival's way is just like the government sticking their hands in my pocket. You reach in my pocket and I limit how much you can get.

Thank you everyone. I am truly hoping that I can tip on account, on this very short cruise. I do agree with the idea that guests should be given a choice. I can only guess that cruise lines have taken it upon themselves to charge the tip on account because let's face it, some people are cheap and won't tip it they feel they don't have to. I think that is wrong.

I sailed on HAL to Alaska in Sept. and the tip was automatically charged to the account (but I bet you already know HAL's policy). Like you mentioned, you had the right to change the amount if you wanted. Well, I did change it. I increased my tip from the customary $10 per day/per person to $15. In addition, I handed the cabin steward $20 on the last morning that he didn't have to share. He was wonderful in every way. The whole experience was wonderful.

You can bet that one of the first things I do once on board is investigate the tipping options with the Guest Relations desk.

Thanks to all. :)

I hope you will be able to charge it as you would prefer. You mentioned in your original post that your time will be limited and you hope you won't have to track down all these people at the last minute. No need to track anyone down! Leave your envelopes for the cabin staff on the bed the last night and hand your envelopes to the dining room staff at dinner the last night. All other tips are automatically added at time of service--bar, spa etc.

I venture to say that if you are on the Century that leaves FLL om 12 Jan, you must be on the same ship as us. Small world.:)

Here's the question: Did I understand you to say that you have already had them charge this cruise's tip to your account? If so, how do I go about doing that. I figured I would have to do that on board. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Again thanks to all who answered.

Cruise Fever, you may also see this question as a new topic. Since this thread is several days old I'll probably post the question again as a new topic.

Archived