Current info re: St. Petersburg tours and "travel vests", small purses, raincoats, e

I'd like CURRENT info from travelers about whether "travel vests" have to be checked on tours in St. Petersburg of The Hermitage and other sites. Any other info on what HAS to be checked, etc.? In lieu of a purse or a backpack for items, I'm considering my travel vest for keeping my valuables/necessities with me (stowing my cellphone, etc.)

Our St P. tour was yesterday. We had to check coats in both Hermitage and in Catherine's Palace along with backpacks, large bags and bottles. We saw groups who were wearing thin vests that were not checked; I suppose it would depend on how thick and how bulky your pockets.

The checking requirement is for security. There was an incident where someone brought in a bottle of acid and threw it on a painting several years ago, then drastically slashed it; I think that opportunities along this line are of significant concern of the museums today.

Are cameras allowed into the Hermitage and St Catherine's?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes - cameras are allowed. Photos are not allowed in the amber room at Catherine Palace but are allowed in all other rooms in the palace. Remember, no flash photography only.

I was at hermitage today. I had to check my coat but was allowed to take my purse which is not that small it's a pac safe ls140. Maybe like 10" in length. It goes through x ray maxhjne. The people who had backpacks left on the bus with the driver. Yes our guide also told story of person who threw acid on a Rembrandt painting.

• 2 weeks later...