simplest strategy for the night before our cruise from LA

rob in cal

So my wife and I won a "free" (heavily discounted) one week cruise on Princess for one week from Los Angeles to Mexico. Based on our last experience with another "free" cruise we won last year I'm guessing that our flight to LA will get in the evening before. So, the question is, what would be the simplest, relatively inexpensive route for my wife and I to get into a hotel and get to our terminal in San Pedro the next day with the least amount of hassle.

Hi Rob in Cal, we live in CA too aNd have taken several cruises out of San Pedro. We refuse to fly to LA for cruises anymore, as it is too much of a hassle, when we can drive to Los Angeles quicker by the time we factor in wait times at airports, et cet

We like driving too, as we can bring as much luggage as we want. [emoji50][emoji6]

We park at the port there in San Pedro. It is around $18 per day, and we like to stay at the Crowne Plaza there in San Pedro.

That hotel used to be offered on Priceline for a great price via bidding. Not sure if that is still the case.

There are a couple hotels in San Pedro, and also a few nice ones over in Long Beach near the pier, Hyatt, Westin, Hilton, et cet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So my wife and I won a "free" (heavily discounted) one week cruise on Princess for one week from Los Angeles to Mexico. Based on our last experience with another "free" cruise we won last year I'm guessing that our flight to LA will get in the evening before. So, the question is, what would be the simplest, relatively inexpensive route for my wife and I to get into a hotel and get to our terminal in San Pedro the next day with the least amount of hassle.

Simplest way, least hassle...easy:

From LAX, either take an Uber or a shuttle from LAX to the Crowne Plaza San Pedro. If it's a shuttle, try Super Shuttle ($17 pp) or Super Shuttle's Execucar for a not-shared ride.

The Crowne Plaza is one of the only two hotels in San Pedro I would consider "nice". There are several restaurant choices within a couple of blocks of the hotel for dinner. The following morning, either take the hotel's shuttle, a taxi or Uber...or even walk (about three block) to the pier.

Simple, efficient...

Have fun...

Jumping in here with a question, if you don't mind. We are leaving from San Pedro in November on Princess ship. Stayed in Doubletree in San Pedro on previous cruise and know there isn't much there. Travel friends asked us about staying in Long Beach this time. We plan to arrive via LAX 2 days beforehand with friends arriving 1 day early.

Which location would you recommend--San Pedro or Long Beach? What hotel would you recommend ? We will not have a car so will need restaurants in walking distance.

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jumping in here with a question, if you don't mind. We are leaving from San Pedro in November on Princess ship. Stayed in Doubletree in San Pedro on previous cruise and know there isn't much there. Travel friends asked us about staying in Long Beach this time. We plan to arrive via LAX 2 days beforehand with friends arriving 1 day early.

Which location would you recommend--San Pedro or Long Beach? What hotel would you recommend ? We will not have a car so will need restaurants in walking distance.

Thanks so much.

In San Pedro, there is more to do and are more restaurants near the Crowne Plaza...

But, yes, there is a little more to see and do and a greater selection of restaurants in Downtown Long Beach. OTOH, you will be 6-8 miles from the Cruise port in San Pedro, so you will need a taxi or Uber to get to the ship.

That said, I have a "short list" of hotels in Long Beach:

The "A" list is: Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin...Staying in one of these puts you in close walking distance of the Aquarium of the Pacific, Shoreline Village and a string of restaurants: Bubba Gump, Hooters, Chili's, Outback, PF Chang, Gladstone's, Tokyo Wako, Famous Dave's BBQ, Yard House, Tequila Jack, Shenanigan's Pub, Parker's Lighthouse...plus, at the Pike, Islands, California Pizza Kitchen, Auld Dubliner...plus a bunch more heading up Pine Avenue...

And, there is a free shuttle, the Passport, that will take you around the area and across to the Queen Mary...

We always stay at the Double Tree (we get Hilton Honors Points and are often upgraded for free to a marina suite). The hotel was remodeled a few years ago and is in a pleasant setting on the harbor. It's true there isn't much around there, but I like walking along the harbor and the hotel has an OK restaurant and offers a free shuttle to the ship or other local areas.

My vote is for either The Hyatt in Long Beach due to its proximity to Shoreline Village and restaurants or Crowne Plaza in San Pedro due to its location near to Mishi's Streudel, if it is still there.

We love, love, love Mishi's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow! Thanks for all the info. After checking prices it looks as if we'll stay at Crown Plaza in San Pedro.

We will put Mishi's on our list for sure. !

I appreciate the help in making this decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, the question is, what would be the simplest, relatively inexpensive route for my wife and I to get into a hotel and get to our terminal in San Pedro the next day with the least amount of hassle.

Normally I don't recommend LAX hotels, but in your case I think I'd get a cheap hotel at LAX (you can get a 4* pretty inexpensively using booking sites) and then Uber the next day to San Pedro.