hal entertainment

brainhole1

Recently got home from 14 night cruise on Eurodam, our 4th Hal cruise. Noticed lack of entertainment at pools and other venues, same songs playing over speakers, but plenty of music offerings on music walk. Is this just on Eurodam, because we enjoy the steel drum player and name that tune games poolside we had on Noordam, Westerdam. Love Hal but makes me think twice, maybe Celebrity next...

Hi there. We just returned ( mid May) from the Veendam. Entertainment was pretty poor although I enjoyed the jazz trio. Believe me, you won't rock out! As far as Celebrity, well, I love Celebrity can't say much there either as far as entertainment. At least some live music poolside though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is one of those damned if we do or not do things. HAL tends to attract an older crowd....many of whom prefer relative quiet around the pool :). On most of our HAL cruises (we have about 500 days on the line) they will have some kind of live musical entertainment, around the pool area, 1-2 hours a day (usually in the afternoon). Some would argue that this is simply another cut-back....but many others would say, "Thank you." We cruise many different lines, and some some ships find ourselves fleeing the pool deck because of all the loud music, play by play for pool games, etc.

As to steel drums, I do love Caribbean music but it does seem to be something that has disappeared from many ships. We had a conversation with a Celebrity cruise director (who had previously worked on another line) about decent Caribbean bands. He explained that many cruise lines no longer hire that type of band...because most are not versatile enough to fulfill multiple needs. On many ships, bands are called upon to provide all kinds of music...from jazz to rock to Big Band dance music. I love steel drums and really do miss it when on a Caribbean cruise.

Hank

Recently got home from 14 night cruise on Eurodam, our 4th Hal cruise. Noticed lack of entertainment at pools and other venues, same songs playing over speakers, but plenty of music offerings on music walk. Is this just on Eurodam, because we enjoy the steel drum player and name that tune games poolside we had on Noordam, Westerdam. Love Hal but makes me think twice, maybe Celebrity next...

No it's not just Eurodam. Entertainment is not HAL's strong suit. In fact, they're pretty much the worst in the mass market business regarding entertainment.

Yes, Celebrity is better.