New to Celebrity.....please help with information.

SusieCruises

Wrong. SOLAS regulations requires corridors to kept free of obstructions and Celebrity's policy requires mobility devices to be stored in the stateroom when not in use, not "nearby". Not in elevator lobbies, stairway lobbies, or corridors. All comprise parts of our paths of exit travel in case of emergency.

So true! This is a great concern of mine in the event of an emergency. I spoke to Celebrity about the design of new ships so that there is a special accessible bay on the port and starboard side of each passenger deck to "park" motorized scooters/wheelchairs so they can be out of the corridors. On a Silhouette cruise a couple of years ago I counted 6 motor scooters on my side of the deck-all parked in the corridor. It is an accident just waiting to happen

That may be the law but it's not always the practice on Celebrity. On my December 2016 Equinox and January 2017 Eclipse cruises there were at least one stored in the hallway that I passed each day on the way to the elevator.

Then you need to complain to the ship's safety officer. I sometimes think the staff are reluctant to enforce the policy because they are afraid of a bad review from the passenger - but that doesn't stop them from enforcing other policies.

A cruise line that allows mobility devices to be stored in paths of exit travel is not taking your safety seriously and should be called to task on it.

The recent warehouse fire in Oakland, CA, is a good example of the impact of inadequate and blocked paths of exit travel coupled with lax code enforcement. How many people died because they couldn't safely exit the building?

As a retired former firefighter and safety administrator, I have seen the results of fire hazards not being addressed and have zipped far to many fire victims into body bags to let things go unreported when I notice them.