Day tours to Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor

Hi All

We are staying in London before our cruise from Southampton. We are looking for a small group tour company for a day trip to Stonehenge, Does anyone have any recommendations??

We are staying near Victoria Station.

Thanks so much

Lynn

mom and I used the English Bus for our Stonehenge tour - small group, locally owned, pick up behind the London Eye - great day (long day though) to Stonehenge, bath and an English village - I write a lot about London on philatravelgirl blog as I visit a few times a year for over 20yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

mom and I used the English Bus for our Stonehenge tour - small group, locally owned, pick up behind the London Eye - great day (long day though) to Stonehenge, bath and an English village - I write a lot about London on philatravelgirl blog as I visit a few times a year for over 20yrs

I'll be checking out your blog. I am going to London for the very first time and doing it solo.

Actually it will be my very first trip to Europe.

We booked through Viator with Golden Tours for a day trip out of London. Check them out - they have a wide variety of tours and do a really great job. https://www.goldentours.com/day-trips-from-london

Could you please tell, how was the experience with goldentours?

I am very curious to know as I have read very bad things about goldentours.

Also what has been the experiences with Viator in general? I found out they do not publish many of their low rated reviews.

I use Golden Tours for clients and the experience has varied depending on tour. my recent client (I'm also travel agent) had mixed reaction to the Stonehenge/Windsor Castle/Oxford tour as the big bus was combined two language tours so the guide was translating that day and split focus. they have good tours if you like large bus for less. the guide was good and Stonehenge is a long day no matter which tour you do.

as for Viator I've used them in many cities - they are like Open Table for tours. easy to see but all vendors are there and they don't tell you which vendor it is until you buy. most tour operators put some inventory on Viator. so you could buy the tour on Viator and find out it's a Golden Tour

Could you please tell, how was the experience with goldentours?

I am very curious to know as I have read very bad things about goldentours.

Also what has been the experiences with Viator in general? I found out they do not publish many of their low rated reviews.

My experiences with Viator in general have been excellent. We've used them in Switzerland, Rome, London, Amsterdam and other places I'm sure I'm forgetting. We had a tour operator cancel on us once but we received a full refund. All of the other tours have been really, really good. We've not had a bad tour leader on any of them and most of them were A to A+ in knowing their material and sharing it in a fun way.

GoldenTours was great! We really got to see a lot. The tour director was often on hand once we were in the locations we visited, giving us insight into the best restaurant, a short cut to get somewhere, or better shops. We both thought the tour was well done. My only minor complaint is that when you book a tour in the off season (Nov. for us), it gets dark very early so by the time we reached our final stop, it was too dark to see anything and we ran out of time to see much anyway because we had spent too much time in the other earlier stops. If we had managed our time a little better and had a shorter lunch perhaps, we would've had more time at the final stop. All in all, for the money and what we saw, it was a great deal and I wouldn't hesitate to book another day trip out of London with them.

I use Golden Tours for clients and the experience has varied depending on tour. my recent client (I'm also travel agent) had mixed reaction to the Stonehenge/Windsor Castle/Oxford tour as the big bus was combined two language tours so the guide was translating that day and split focus. they have good tours if you like large bus for less. the guide was good and Stonehenge is a long day no matter which tour you do.

Ours was also a bus with 1/2 English-speakers and 1/2 Spanish-speakers. They had a tour leader with them that talked to them in Spanish. I was skeptical at first that it would work out okay, but it was so seamless, we completely forgot the others were onboard. The audio system tuned to different channels depending on your language, so they had 1 channel and we had another. They were absolutely not any intrusion whatsoever to our group.

Thank you so much for all your replies!!! We decided to book with premium tours... It is a coach tour but it picked up close to our hotel, and after I spoke with them (they had a 1-800 #) seemed to be the best fit for us Will you know how it turned​ out

Thanks again!!!