What can I afford?

tarjan

Price is, as i am sure you will agree, an issue. Problem is I don't really have a firm grasp on the total cost for a cruise today. I have been on a cruise, once, 15 years ago but that was sponsored by my parents. My girlfriend more recently with her company, but again that was sponsored.

I am thinking it might be a good vacation for both of us, since we can basically shut our brains off and just have fun for a few days. Trick is to find the right combination of ship to $$$ to our needs.

So far I have looked at way too many choices and am getting no closer to deciding than I was a month ago. So now I am going to ask you all for some assistance.

I have about 3k to spend, total, on both of us including tips, government fees and the other random items. Ignore airfare, as I have too many miles already and should be good to go there. I would like to do a 7 day cruise to the carribean or mexico or bahamas or someplace warm this coming january or february. It looks like that should be enough money, depending on the line and deal of course.

We are both 31 and do not have children. We are fairly active and definitely want a cruise where we will "do stuff", along with be lazy by the pool. That being said, I am a food lover and definitely want the option of some fantastic restaurants and wines, the quality of which I rate higher than the need for activities

I do not want to deal with kids. I am not a child hater, I just don't want to go to censored events and have to experience a "tame" trip because of those under 14 or so. The entertainment therefore is also important to us.

So I guess what I want is a private chef with an unlimited menu, a personal physical fitness consultant, an ice cream bar and my own sundeck. Oh and my own bartender and dj.

Somehow I dont think that is going to happen on my budget :)

Anyone have any hints? I am not as demanding as this message seems, just obsessive on making a decision. Once I make my mind up I am cool.

(Btw, if you are an espresso fanatic like me, will I be depressed with the quality on board? I am sick of the dreck being served by the major brands and restaurants today. My silvia is fantastic, but would be a bit of a bear to bring onboard with me! :rolleyes: )

Forgot to add, I am in the washington dc area. Trips leaving from baltimore, nyc, florida or other east coast ports are definitely preferred.

Unless you are planning on driving up to New York or down to Florida, don't discount cruises out of other places since you might find a great deal on airfare to anywhere. I'm not sure but I don't think there are any cruises less than 10 nights out of the Northeast in Winter - but there might be some on NCL, but those will cater to families.

Based on what you're stated preferences are I would recommend looking at Celebrity or HAL - but I can't guarantee you'll find anything in your price range. For less kids, avoid RCI's Voyager class ships and most Carnival, also Disney (which is probably out of your price range anyways), also some of Princess's Grand Class ships.

To avoid kids, go after the first week in January and before the 3rd week in February. There will be less kids those weeks, but no guarantee of no kids. Starting the 3rd week of February school vacations start and there will be lots of kids. Also, prices start going up when more kids can cruise.

You can currently get an inside on the Sapphire Princess 7-night Mexican Rivera cruise out of LA in January for only $599 per person, if you could find some inexpensive airfare, that would keep you under budget.

MSC Opera has 7-night cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean which are showing as starting at $545 per person in inside room (doesn't say which sailing exactly).

HAL's Zuiderdam has 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale starting at $599pp in an inside. Oosterdam has 7-night Mexican Rivera cruises out of San Diego starting at $549pp in an inside. Westerdam is doing Western Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale starting at $699 pp for an inside and Eastern Caribbean starting at $599pp.

Celebrity Infinity is doing 7-night Eastern Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale starting at $650pp in an inside. Century is doing Eastern Caribbean starting at $620pp in an inside.

You might want to call a TA (or several) and get quotes and see what they recommend. Don't wait too long as deals will go away, especially on airfare.

So airfare should be covered w/ miles...

Jan and Feb can be expensive months

Above post listed some nice alternatives

I will put in my two cents...

DH and I are thirty/forty something couple and we loved Princess

Few children, lots to do. Booking a guarenteed room seems to increase the chance of an upgrade. maybe just my perception, but we did pay for interior and get upgraded to oceanview.This was our first cruise, and i am now HOOKED on cruising

Of the above lines, Princess will probably have the youngest crowd, although Caribbean will help that overall.

Don't know about MSC. My uncle has traveled most lines...he is nearly 70, but he has a GOOD time every night. Youngest 70 year old I know!

He felt Holland was a bit "old" for him!!:D My folks LOVED Celebrity, they too are young at heart.

Looks like you can get the cruise easily for less than 1500, which leaves you 1500 to spend, very doable.

Have a wonderful time

Kris

Do not discount Carnival. They have some good Itins. Try for a newer ship with the Supper Club. Do book a GTY room inside so you have chance of upgrade but you could end up with the worst room going. Second week in Jan to 2nd week in Feb is usually the cheaper ones and with less kids. If you can check on several web sites for deals. Some include extras that can aid in your fun. But compare apples ot apples, look or ask for bottom line figure ie port tax and gov't included in price. Make sure you have proper id for the time you are going including passport. Have fun.

If you're willing to part with your need for upscale food and wine, you can go with just about any mass market line. Do you have any idea what they charge for a better bottle of wine on cruise ships? For anything better than Two Buck Chuck, you're talking more than $20 a bottle---and that's for just your basic wine---your better wine is in the $50 buck and up category. Alternate restaurants will charge you in the range of $30 per person per night, and that adds up if you go to those for more than just one night. From experience, on many cruise lines, you're looking at OK, basic banquet food. It's not bad food, but if you're a foodie, you're not going to find upscale gourmet food. Those personal fitness trainers, if the ship has them, charge anywhere from $40 to $75 an hour---not cheap. If you like to drink, cocktails run in the $6 to $8 range. Beer isn't cheap either---about five to six bucks.

Your trip is doable, but not with all the upscale things you want. Celebrity, for an inside cabin, for a 5 day cruise in Jan 2007, $820---for both of you---$410 per person. Not a bad price. Celebrity has been ranked at the very top in national publications like Conde Nast Traveler and Travel and Leisure magazine. Their food and service is ranked very high, for a mass market line. Celebrity attracts the least amount of kids during the school time. Regardless of what people may think, even during school, lines like Carnival and RCCI will have a lot of kids on board. We did an RCCI cruise in January, and there were more than 350 kids on the ship.

Like I said, your trip is doable, but not with any upscale amenities. If you like fine wine, you can bring your own on board with you, but the corkage fees run anywhere from $10 to $15 a bottle. If you go with an inside cabin, you can do a cruise very cheaply.

but really - a Celebrity or Princess cruise without any added purchases, can be a wonderful, upscale experience. But, if wine is a necessary part of your experience, budget for it. Just know you will be paying an extradorinary price - similar to what any high end restaurant charges. But, then again, a can of Coke will cost almost the same as a 12-pack back home.

A cruise is a wonderful vacation for the budget minded. If you do not purchase extras, one can keep a tight control over the cost. And, I'll say again - one can have a wonderful vacation without additional purchases.

Understood on the wine cost. Between the two of us we can BARELY polish off a bottle, in about 3 hours :). We like wine, but it we are not heavy drinkers. Spending 200 or so on wine during the trip shouldn't be a problem. I imagine most of the "extra" budget will go to the different extra cost dinners, without a bunch of alcohol. One other thing is that, for the most part, we don't drink soda.

Inside is fine, I hate light when I sleep so I want dark, and no windows work real well for that! Only issue is noise, so when I finally decide on a ship I might just have to ask about which rooms are quietest which may put gty out... Personally I don't feel outside is worth the cost, unless it comes with a balcony so that will definitely save us money.

How about physical activities? I guess I didnt make it enough of a joke in the first message, the only thing "upscale" we need is the food. Doesn't need to be perfect or super amazing, but something nice would definitely be appreciated even if we have to pay a bit extra for it. Past that we want leisurely and active fun, not someone to do stuff for us. Gym, climbing, surfing, diving, snorkeling etc..

Side notes to tarjan

My husband loves his "Silvia" too :) , but now he is drooling over La Marzocco right now.:p

My recommandation for your cruise is Winstar, if you want water sport as one of your main activities.

Unfortunately, great food and most of your basic mass market lines don't usually go hand in hand. The only line I would recommend that's both mass market and has really good food is Celebrity. You can do an inside cabin for 7 days on Celebrity for under $1500 for both of you. For the activities, they have a lot of things to do both on and off the ship. You can arrange your own shore tours that will include biking, hiking, snorkling, scuba diving, horseback riding and just about any other active thing you can think of. An Alaska cruise might be a good idea for you. There's so much to do on those cruises that you can't do other places like glacier hiking, sled dog mushing, kayaking, sport fishing and wildlife tours to see bear, moose and whales.

Gym, climbing, surfing, diving, snorkeling etc..

If you aren't planning on purchasing too many excursions - which can really ruin a budget quickly, you should be fine. Not drinking saves a huge bundle right off the bat.

The rule of thumb which I have seen over and over is that the entire cruise

is usually double what you pay up front for your cabin. We have never met

that "rule" as we are mostly into the onboard activities, and a couple of specialty dinners during the cruise. Excursions are kept to a minimum.

Good for you for going with the inside. I would suggest to avoid noise, look at the ship deck plan. Don't book a room above an active area, or below one. We book inside, with cabins above and below if at all possible. Never below or above the kids club, disco, restaurant, bar, etc.

We cruise during school year to avoid so many children. We love them, have some, but as you, don't care to share our entire vacation with a group of them.

Good luck - and be prepared to become addicted to cruising very quickly.

It is the only way to travel!!

I have a group going in Februry onboard the Carnival Liberty and found it to be rather reasonable.

Balconies wre only 749 oceanviews 649 and insides were 549. This is for all the port and tax fees too. its for Valentines day.

Now the week after--being a holiday weekend the prices tend to start going higher as each week goes into Sprng break weeks.

Celebrity is a pretty good choice for you, based on what you have described. Food is better than the other mainlines. You will also find that if you are on the M-Class, their specialty restaurants are really worth the extra $30 pp they get. Very much on the high-end of food. They also have a spa that has food, which we really enjoyed daily for lunch. Very different and light choices.

As for wine, I'd encourage you to bring your own. While their mark-ups were what we would consider fair market value, you can certainly have better quality choices for about half the cost of their charges, thus still making it worth the $15 corkage. Additionally, you can have them store the wine for you and they will serve you your selection each night. If you don't finish a bottle, they will happily recork and store for the next evening. The sommilier's are very accommodating and we even found they enjoyed sampling some of our choices.

The gym on the M-class (I've not sailed the other classes) is great. There were plenty of treadmills along with all the other necessary equipment for circuit training. They also had a weight room that was more than adequate. The classes the offered were very good and the staff was accommodating. (All but the spin and yoga classes were free).

If you enjoy sushi, they also have evening sushi from 6:30 PM that was very good, and quite fresh. The Cova Cafe served an excellent expresso and capaccino. THey have wonderful pasteries and such there as well.

We did Celebrity Zenith to Bermuda for our first cruise. It left from NYC, but now I hear it goes out of NJ. I am not sure what the weather is there in January or February or if they even have a cruise at that time, but if you want to wait until they do, it was a great cruise. We had an outside cabin with a window and we initially started with $795 as the room price per person. With all the taxes and charges and our one shore excursion to Hawkin's Island for the Don't Stop the Carnival Party, I think it came to just over $2,000. Food was fantastic. Pools on board are a little small, but nice. Staff was great, ship was very clean.

Archived