Bringing wine aboard DCL Fantasy

IsabelG

Anyone know the ins and outs of carrying wine onboard? The rules say '2 750ml' per person. I am thinking of bringing a 'bota brick' of wine because it will travel easier on the plane (it's in a carton) but they are 1.5 each. Will Disney care that it's the same amount of wine but in one package vs two bottles?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone know the ins and outs of carrying wine onboard? The rules say '2 750ml' per person. I am thinking of bringing a 'bota brick' of wine because it will travel easier on the plane (it's in a carton) but they are 1.5 each. Will Disney care that it's the same amount of wine but in one package vs two bottles?

Reports are that boxed wine is not allowed. Only bottled. And, specific numbers of bottles and size of said bottles is set. People have reported, for example, not being allowed to bring (more than 2) mini bottles that equal the total max ML allowed.

2 bottles, with a max size of 250ml per bottle is what the "rules" say.

You certainly can give it a try, but you do need to carry it onboard. It's not supposed to be in your checked bags.

Don't count on it. It really depends on how strict the person doing the check in chooses to be. I understand your point, but I also can see their rule which doesn't say "up to 1500 cc per person." Some people will let it thru but others will go by the "letter of the law." That would mean it will be confiscated and you can claim it at the Lost and Found desk after the cruise.

Would it be easier just to skip it and buy glasses of wine on board? I'd just like to have a few bottles in our cabin for hanging on the verandah. I know about carrying it on, I'd have to fly it down in my luggage first so it would have to be checked on the plane- prob staying over at Hyatt MCO the night before and from what I understand, no where to purchase at the airport.

Would it be easier just to skip it and buy glasses of wine on board? I'd just like to have a few bottles in our cabin for hanging on the verandah. I know about carrying it on, I'd have to fly it down in my luggage first so it would have to be checked on the plane- prob staying over at Hyatt MCO the night before and from what I understand, no where to purchase at the airport.

Probably easier to just buy onboard. If you're staying at the airport the night before, you could catch a taxi to a nearby liquor store and purchase some, if you have a favorite, though.

I'm not at all picky- but do they sell you bottles to keep in your room onboard? I can't find any info except for the 'wine package' for the dinners. Can you buy a bottle at the bars? We have a toddler who will be napping, doing early bedtimes, so I got us a verandah room so we could have a cocktail out there while he sleeps.

If you are going to a hotel, that means you are doing the wise thing of coming in the night before. There are many nearby liquor stores and grocery stores that sell wine where you can pick it up if you have transportation from the hotel to the store (perhaps on the way to the cruise terminal). And if there are 2 adults in the cabin, you can bring 4 bottles. If you tell us where you are staying overnight, perhaps we can offer suggestions as to where you can make a purchase. There also might be some "must have" forgotten items for a toddler!

Depending on flight the day before, will either fly in by 9am and stay at a wdw hotel and use Magical express OR if I can get a decent direct early on flight we will stay at the Hyatt MCO at the airport which also participates in Magical Express. So no way to stop on way to port :(

I'm way too much of a worry wart to fly in the morning of lol

Like I said, I'm not picky about my Pinot Grigio, and it's not so much about the price, I just don't want to have to run up to the bar every time I want a glass of wine. I can't find any info about room service bringing it.

You are correct that if you are using DCL transportation, it will be very difficult to purchase anything. I highly recommend not flying in the morning of a cruise. Yes, I've done it. Even if everything goes well, it is not the way to start a vacation!

You can also bring wine on board at each port of call--so depending on where you are going, there may be places happy to sell to you. The limits are identical to the rules at Port Canaveral.

Oh what would you recommend doing in the Tortola port? We can leave our son onboard in the kids care- is there a bunch of places within walking distance? Or can you recommend a toddler friendly excursion?

We loved the Baths at Virgin Gorda....but that's a long day on another island. While I'm sure your child is totally safe in the Oceaneer's Club, I would not have left my daughter at that age and gone to a different island. But that's my "mom anxiety" level. Tortola is a nice port to walk around. There are lovely beaches that you can do on your own right on Tortola. There is a nice botanical garden if you want to walk around and enjoy scenery. It is part of the British Virgin Islands, and like all of those that we've visited is clean and well ordered. I can't think of anything particularly toddler appealing, but maybe people with young children can chime in.

On St. Thomas, there is the butterfly farm within walking distance of the dock and Coral World a taxi ride away. Coral World is an ever expanding water based place. There is a walk in underwater viewing area, a small aquarium, some hiking trails, "touch tanks" with people instructing the kids as to what they are touching and how to do it, a snack bar, etc. Across the parking lot from Coral World is Coki beach--a nice, family friendly beach with decent snorkeling. The beach is free, but when we were there had no "services" available. However, when you go to Coral World, you get an arm band that allows you to go in and out all day--you can use their bathrooms, snack bar, etc. and if there isn't a taxi sitting in their lot (there usually is), they'll call one for you. They used to offer a family discount but that required 4 people. They sometimes have discount coupons on line and in the tourist magazines at the port.

Not sure about Fantasy, but on NCL Pride boxed wine was not allowed. Instead, I bought 2 large bottles of wine from the ABC store before I boarded. As you embark there is a person who will inspect your bottles & then charge you a $15 corking fee per bottle. So, my $9 bottle of wine became very expensive. But, I knew that going in. Best bet would be to call the cruise line directly & ask. That's what I did. Hope this helps.

Not sure about Fantasy, but on NCL Pride boxed wine was not allowed. Instead, I bought 2 large bottles of wine from the ABC store before I boarded. As you embark there is a person who will inspect your bottles & then charge you a $15 corking fee per bottle. So, my $9 bottle of wine became very expensive. But, I knew that going in. Best bet would be to call the cruise line directly & ask. That's what I did. Hope this helps.

THis is totally different than DCL's policy. There is NO corkage fee charged upon boarding The DCL policy is that 2 bottles may be brought aboard per adult (750 mm). Period. No charge. This is for consumption in your cabin. If you bring a bottle into the dining room, a corkage fee is charged at that time. That fee is $25.

As to calling the cruise line, DCL is notorious for "shoreside" not knowing what actually happens on the ship. I'm not saying to not call, only to not expect an accurate response. Shoreside personnel just read what their computer screens say; actual policies may be different!

For those that want to bring wine with you on your trip, we recently found on Amazon a bubble wrap bottle holder called Vino Lock, it's a sleeve of bubble wrap with a double zip lock style seal, along with a velcro fold over flap that seals the sleeve so even if the bottle does leak it won't get out of the bubble sleeve. I think we got 6 of the protectors for $20. The worked great, the only thing to remember is if you fly you have to pack them in checked luggage, then when you get to FL before you board the ship you have to move them into your carry on luggage. If you leave them in your checked baggage DCL can and will remove them from your bags and keep them until the end of the cruise, you won't be able to "pick them up" from guest services during the cruise. So be sure to take them on with your carry on bags!

Anything removed from your checked bags is available at the lost and found in the terminal at Port Canaveral. No, they are not available on the ship! This includes beverages, but also anything on the "prohibited"list that is identified on the pre-board screening.

Yes my plan (roughly) is to fly in the night before with bottles in checked luggage, stay over at Hyatt at the airport, and remove bottles to carry on before ME comes to take luggage in the morning. I'll check those bottle carriers!