What if we don't want to do an Excursion in a Caribbean port?

Paulinda

Not knowing what ports are at stake here, I certainly would not want to miss the River Tubing experience in Dominica. Nor the trip to Christenstad in St Croix. Both would take some sort of excursion arrangements. And getting out of St Thomas ASAP, to the quieter charms of St John's would need some arranging too.

On Aruba, the local bus is very good in both directions - one to "Baby Beach" to see where the locals live and the rugged island itself, and the other direction to see all the looming hotels and their tourism beach life.

We've been on cruises before but we've never been on a Caribbean cruise. Our first one will be in late Feb. My wife is not very interested in any of the ship planned excursions that entail snorkeling, swimming, scuba diving or other water activities. I know there are some excursions that don't center around those sea/water activities but what if we simply don't want to go on those or they don't interest us? Can we simply wander around the port we are in or find a beach to just sit and relax? Is doing that even possible?

She's told me all she really is looking to do is put her toes in the water, relax on a beach and have a few drinks. I'm sure shopping isn't something she mentioned but I know that interests her too. I'm thinking maybe we should skip the cruise and go to an all inclusive resort? The current deals on Holland are too tempting to pass.

Over the years, we've been on many Caribbean cruises. Early on, we did excursions, but now just wander around the ports or find a beach. We have our favorites, curaçao being our favorite. We also enjoy Aruba and Bonaire. Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Maarten and San Juan. Love Key West too. In St. Thomas, a favorite is having lunch at Gladys Cafe in town. In Barbados, we've taken a cab to a lovely beach and had lunch there. San Juan is a great walking around port, and grabbing an iced coffee at Starbucks.

I'll save my excursions for Europe and enjoy the Caribbean for what it is for us northerners! Getting out of the cold! ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not knowing what ports are at stake here, I certainly would not want to miss the River Tubing experience in Dominica. Nor the trip to Christenstad in St Croix. Both would take some sort of excursion arrangements. And getting out of St Thomas ASAP, to the quieter charms of St John's would need some arranging too.

On Aruba, the local bus is very good in both directions - one to "Baby Beach" to see where the locals live and the rugged island itself, and the other direction to see all the looming hotels and their tourism beach life.

Two different cruises, we got a taxi at the iepier and went to Chfristenstad, St. Coix. I would not bother again. No need for any aexcursions. Grab a taxi if you you wabtt or don't bother if you don't care about seing the yther side of the island.. Notjing so terrific, iMO

In. St. Barts, we hired a car and driver right at the tender dock and had a wonderful private tour. totally enjoyed it.

Edited by sail7seas

Two different cruises, we got a taxi at the iepier and went to Chfrisxenstad, St. Coix. I would not bother again. No need for any aexcursions. Grab a taxi if you you aznt or don't bother if you don't care about seing the yther side of the island.. Notjing so terrific, iMO

In. St. Barts, we hired a car and driver right at the tender dock and had a wonderful private tour. totally enjoyed it.

We were tracking Alexander Hamilton around the Caribbean, so our trip to Christenstad and the fort was very special indeed. Along with our own excursion to Nevis from St Kitts to see where he was born and spent his younger days.

1st time in St. Bart's, we took a taxi tour from the dock. 2nd time, we walked around the port and had lunch on the patio of lovely restaurant. The Maasdam is no longer on the HAL itinerary. So no longer an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... but what if we simply don't want to go on those or they don't interest us? Can we simply wander around the port we are in or find a beach to just sit and relax? Is doing that even possible?
Of course it is.

It's also possible to not get off the ship. This is what I often do. Board in Fort Lauderdale, do a 7-night cruise without getting off the ship, disembark in Fort Lauderdale a week later. One of the great things about staying on board is that you can really enjoy the ship's facilities when it's not crowded and you're not fighting with other people for space.