Rental car shuttle issue with 4 ships in POM?

JennKach

My original plan was to return our rental car to MIA and take the free shuttle to POM. I just checked the schedule and there will be 4 ships in port. It's usually only 2 or 3 max. Anyone have experience with the Thrifty shuttle and how often it runs and how long the wait may be, even on a normal day? Our check in time is 10:30 at the port. I'm now considering returning the car the night before and taking Uber from the hotel to avoid chaos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just in Miami in April for cruise and we used uber for everything. There are a ton of drivers so the wait is super short. I highly recommend using uber in Miami, it is super convenient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where's your hotel? Uber from MIA airport area hotels to POM should be about $20 ($30+tip in a taxi, but a taxi-van is the same fare if you have more than two or lots of bags).

My original plan was to return our rental car to MIA and take the free shuttle to POM. I just checked the schedule and there will be 4 ships in port. It's usually only 2 or 3 max. Anyone have experience with the Thrifty shuttle and how often it runs and how long the wait may be, even on a normal day? Our check in time is 10:30 at the port. I'm now considering returning the car the night before and taking Uber from the hotel to avoid chaos.

If I understand you correctly, you will pay for a rental car, then turn it in the night before your cruise, pay for transportation back to the hotel, then pay for transportation to POM?

If you do that, wouldn't it be easier (and maybe cheaper) to forget the rental car and just Uber to the hotel as well? Perhaps you are in Miami for a couple of days, though?

Just two of us with small bags. Hotel is Homewood Suites MIA West.

You can take a chance with the shuttle - might be a delay/wait, might not - or drop the car off, ride the hotel shuttle back to the hotel, and then Uber to POM for $20 when you want. Your call.

PS - among the MIA area hotels, that one is our favorite :)

Thanks everyone for the input! We're flying into FLL early the day before so we're renting a convertible to explore, pick up any last minute items, find a nice dinner and get to the hotel at MIA. I've decided to return the car by midnight at MIA and catch the free hotel shuttle back to the room. In the morning we'll use Uber to get to the port. It will be a much more relaxing way to begin the cruise.

Thanks everyone for the input! We're flying into FLL early the day before so we're renting a convertible to explore, pick up any last minute items, find a nice dinner and get to the hotel at MIA. I've decided to return the car by midnight at MIA and catch the free hotel shuttle back to the room. In the morning we'll use Uber to get to the port. It will be a much more relaxing way to begin the cruise.

Convertible? Don't bring too much luggage then because you won't have room to put more than a couple suitcases.

You will have plenty of time with the shuttle. 4 ships is not an issue at all and I believe NCL is the first stop.

I can't say about the Thrifty shuttle, but I use the Alamo shuttle all the time from MIA to POM. With 4+ ships in port, no problem at all.

We just go around 10 or catch the late one around 2.30 pm. Always get a spot to sit plus our suitcases.

$2 tip per suitcase and off we go.

I can't say about the Thrifty shuttle, but I use the Alamo shuttle all the time from MIA to POM. With 4+ ships in port, no problem at all.

We just go around 10 or catch the late one around 2.30 pm. Always get a spot to sit plus our suitcases.

$2 tip per suitcase and off we go.

It's the same shuttle.