(Pre)booking excursions - is this a good idea? MSC Divina Eastern Carribean

Lou2204

Hello fellow cruisers,

We're sailing for the first time with the MSC Divina in August to the Eastern Caribbean (12 August, 8 days) and are wondering whether it makes sense to pre-book excursions?

First off, I am wondering is it worthwhile at all to book excursions, or is it smarter to just make your own plans and bookings? Would you save money on organizing your own activities, or is it smarter to just go with the ship's excursions (image you miss the boat!! :eek:)

Then, is it smart to start booking them before you sail? There are 3 women in my party, so there may be some last minute changes of heart ;) . Are some of them very quickly booked up?

Would love to hear your experiences !!

Warm regards,

Lou

For excursions, sometimes we take a ship planned one and sometimes we do it ourselves. Depends on what is offered and what we are interested in. I am going on the same cruise at the end of September and I've looked at the excursions offered by MSC and I was pleasantly surprised at what they offered and I thought their pricing was really reasonable.

You can also search this forum under ports of call to get more information on the ports and things to do or go to tripadvisor and search the forum there also.

Sometimes there are tour operators as you get off the ship and we've just walked off and hired someone for a tour.

With all that being said, if you are nervous about doing something on your own, then go through MSC. The ship won't leave without you if they are running late.

We took a day long excursion in a speed boat in Puerto Vallarta last year but got caught in a storm on the water. It was terrifying and we were late getting back but the ship waited for us. We were no sooner up the gangway when they literally shut the door behind us and left port! We would have missed our ship 100% if we hadn't been on their excursion.

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply! I agree that if you feel,at ease somewhere it is not necessary to book an excursion. We cruised once before in Europe, and we just made our own plans. Not sure I feel so sure in Jamaica and Mexico.

Thanks for,your tip to search on ports , hadn't thought of that! I'm still quite new on this forum.

OMG that story of Puerto Vallarta, what a nightmare!!! That really would freak me out, and I have heard once that ships do indeed sail if you are late getting back.

Thanks again for your answer, regards

Lou