Is Christmas Day in port different than a typical port day on the ship itself

DRPWDunIL

We will be in Barbados on Christmas Day. There appear to be much more limited shore excursion opportunities. Is Christmas Day an atypical day on the ship? What I mean is are there more things to do ON the ship while in port than on a normal port day?

This past Christmas we were on the Ruby Princess. All the Holiday festivities on board happened on Christmas Eve.

We were in Mazatlan Christmas day. Our tour bus had our family (10 of us), and another large family. It appeared that people weren't taking tours that day.No crowds anywhere. All the usual tours were being offered just smaller groups. We loved it.

This past Christmas we were on the Ruby Princess. All the Holiday festivities on board happened on Christmas Eve.

We were in Mazatlan Christmas day. Our tour bus had our family (10 of us), and another large family. It appeared that people weren't taking tours that day.No crowds anywhere. All the usual tours were being offered just smaller groups. We loved it.

Thanks!!!

Was in key west on thanksgiving day (I know not Christmas) private tour was great. Dinner in MDR was thanksgiving theme. Large room had all the normal football games on. It was a nice day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on Royal last year, ported in St Lucia on Christmas day. They did have lots of the Christmas celebrations onboard that day - Santa visited, a caroling session, etc. Those who went on excursions missed out on some of it, while some was scheduled for later in the day. Formal night was Christmas night also, which was a bit tough after a full day touring.

The island itself is mainly closed down, as will be Barbados, but the tour companies still operate and the main sites are still open (hard to close a waterfall or beach!), but mostly shops and such will be closed... So, little traffic, etc.

Enjoy, whatever you choose to do.

We were in Barbados on New Year's Day and most of the shops in town were shut. So I would expect that it would be the same on Christmas Day as both are bank holidays. Of course the beaches will be open though.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be in Barbados on Christmas Day. There appear to be much more limited shore excursion opportunities. Is Christmas Day an atypical day on the ship? What I mean is are there more things to do ON the ship while in port than on a normal port day?

Absolutely, there are many more things than normal to do ON the ship when a Port Day is on Christmas Day and the port of call has limited excursions offered. It's somewhat like what a normal At Sea Day is on Princess ships.