Canapes

We have certainly been provided with vegetarian canapes when we asked for them - but as I recall, some at least were cheese so I don't know about vegan.

The better standard ones are fish or meat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

hi all

Can anyone tell me what the canapés are that will be delivered to our suite

My daughter is a vegan vegetarian and I don't eat anything with fish

Just wondered what was offered

Can we request some which would be suitable

Thanks

Sorry to burst the bubble, but they are absolutely vile. Think cheap pate on a small soggy bit of toast and that's about the standard. The only decent ones were the strawberries dipped in chocolate on one of the formal nights. Bringing them each evening has been the only thing our Butlers have done voluntarily.

We recently did an overnight (in port) on Cruise and Maritime Voyages Magellan in a Royal Suite. We would probably never cruise with them as they are very budget compared to P&O. The suite was actually pretty good but the biggest surprise was the canapés. Two large plates - one savoury, one sweet. They were fabulous. We took a photo of them as they were 100 times superior to the pathetic P&O offerings, which we don't decline as they become a daily point of amusement. I've tried to attach the photo but it failed.

The strawberries dipped in chocolate are the only ones worth having - and you only get those once. As everyone else has said this is the biggest waste of time, effort and money because the canapés are largely inedible. To answer your question though I have an allergy and asked for regular canapés for my husband and adapted ones for me. Next cruise I'm cancelling them, I may take some nibbles with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we left Zeebrugge on Ventura in February, I was watching a load of sea birds swooping up to the back of the ship for the 30 minutes or so after we left port. It's now dawned on me why. It was obviously the other aft suite guests throwing the canapés to them. So they do have a use after all.

When we left Zeebrugge on Ventura in February, I was watching a load of sea birds swooping up to the back of the ship for the 30 minutes or so after we left port. It's now dawned on me why. It was obviously the other aft suite guests throwing the canapés to them. So they do have a use after all.

Hahaha. :D:'):D:')

This forum is full of people complaining about everything but I'm not sure why the canapes attract such venom. They're not brilliant and we usually cancel ours (including the strawberries) simply because we don't want yet more to eat, but they are no worse of their kind than the other food on board.

This forum is full of people complaining about everything but I'm not sure why the canapes attract such venom. They're not brilliant and we usually cancel ours (including the strawberries) simply because we don't want yet more to eat, but they are no worse of their kind than the other food on board.

Yes we have cancelled the last couple of times as well on the basis that they are dried out and inedible. I would politely disagree with your last sentiment and say that I have never been offered anything in the MDR that was so dried out that there were cracks showing on the top of it.

Yes we have cancelled the last couple of times as well on the basis that they are dried out and inedible. I would politely disagree with your last sentiment and say that I have never been offered anything in the MDR that was so dried out that there were cracks showing on the top of it.

Well, I've never had canapes like this. I've had some very dry sandwiches though (admittedly in buffets, but almost straight after thet were put out). Clearly, food and experiences will vary.

Wots the difference between a canapé and a horses doover :confused::confused::confused:

Hors d'oevre are snacks served before a meal, Canapes are what you go under to shelter from the rain.

OP. Find out how well vegans are catered for generally. A friend has just been on a US line and they didn't have a clue.

There are one or two vegan options on the vegetarian menu, but they won't offer much variety over a whole cruise. Worth asking about anything more.

Have to disagree with most - enjoy the fact that we get any - we don't get them delivered to our lounge every evening at home!

No they aren't always great, but it's better than none at all. You can request something different - I cannot eat egg so certainly can't eat any of them with that on.

Personally we can't stand the strawberries - not fresh and extremely messy. They usually get left.

Just enjoy the fact you've got them - it also gives you an opportunity to interact with your Butler.

When we were last in a suite I mentioned to the Butler that I can't eat cheese. As has been said I would think about 80% of the canapes are cheese based and previously when in a suite I had not mentioned my cheese aversion and just not eaten them if they were cheese. This time the Butler mentioned this to the chef and for the whole cruise I got cheeseless canapes. If the offering was cheese I usually got smoked salmon - fine by me! The only other line where we've sampled the canapes is Fred Olsen. Now they leave P&O standing. Their canapes were fantastic - great juicy prawns - beautifully arranged and decorated canapes, very yummy.

Nothing wrong with having a good ol moan....isnt that what forums are for.:p:D

After all this is a discussion forum and were discussing canapes....or whats supposed to be canapes...just imho of course.;):D

• 1 month later...