Shore tours in athens

michelle68

Going on our very first Cunard cruise next month. Been looking at shore tours. Just wondering if anyone has been on the Acropolis and Plaka/Museum tours. I've never been to Athens and I want to find out more about the details from someone who has done it. Thanks

On my first trip to Athens (2013) we hired a car and driver and he was excellent. He said for us to pay what we thought the tour was worth after we flinched at the €80 he quoted for 4 of us (2 children). We ended up paying him €120 becuase it was so good. I now got to Athens swice a year for work and I recommenrd both the Acropolis museum and the Acropolis itself (but it is very busy in summer). A driver and a car means you can cover much more in the time. Plaka is ok (where I work is on the esge of it) but it is mostly touristy shops and restaurants (some v nice restaurants).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We did the 'Best of Athens' tour while on HAL recently and it covered the items you mentioned and more. I'm sure Cunard's tour would be the same (maybe the same tour operator as well) so I think my response is valid to your question.

We enjoyed the tour. I think the right amount of time at the Acropolis and other sites. Lunch was included and the restaurant had a fantastic view of the Acropolis. The Athens museum is always packed and I wish we could have spent more time there. If you're only mildly interested in museums then it might be ok for you, but we wanted to stay longer. All and all I thought it was a good tour although a little pricey.

We had planned to do a semi-private tour with PK Tours but not enough people from my cruise signed up for it. If you're interested (and this tour company is very highly regarded) then check out the link below. You can go into 'book now' to see if others from your cruise are already signed up, they only need 8 to start. They put the group together for you. It could save you a lot of money.

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/semi-private-shore-full-day-athens-tour/

Going on our very first Cunard cruise next month. Been looking at shore tours. Just wondering if anyone has been on the Acropolis and Plaka/Museum tours. I've never been to Athens and I want to find out more about the details from someone who has done it. Thanks

You may find this helpful Michelle...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/07/one-way-to-do-athens-from-piraeus/

the-parthenon-2.jpg?w=470&h=311

On my first trip to Athens (2013) we hired a car and driver and he was excellent. He said for us to pay what we thought the tour was worth after we flinched at the €80 he quoted for 4 of us (2 children). We ended up paying him €120 becuase it was so good. I now got to Athens swice a year for work and I recommenrd both the Acropolis museum and the Acropolis itself (but it is very busy in summer). A driver and a car means you can cover much more in the time. Plaka is ok (where I work is on the esge of it) but it is mostly touristy shops and restaurants (some v nice restaurants).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Thank you

We did the 'Best of Athens' tour while on HAL recently and it covered the items you mentioned and more. I'm sure Cunard's tour would be the same (maybe the same tour operator as well) so I think my response is valid to your question.

We enjoyed the tour. I think the right amount of time at the Acropolis and other sites. Lunch was included and the restaurant had a fantastic view of the Acropolis. The Athens museum is always packed and I wish we could have spent more time there. If you're only mildly interested in museums then it might be ok for you, but we wanted to stay longer. All and all I thought it was a good tour although a little pricey.

We had planned to do a semi-private tour with PK Tours but not enough people from my cruise signed up for it. If you're interested (and this tour company is very highly regarded) then check out the link below. You can go into 'book now' to see if others from your cruise are already signed up, they only need 8 to start. They put the group together for you. It could save you a lot of money.

https://www.pktravelgreece.com/semi-private-shore-full-day-athens-tour/

Thanks - they've got some great tours. None organised for our date so far.

If doing the taxi tour, visit the museum when the sun is at it's highest (air conditioned, cafe, restrooms), and at the Acropolis hire an official guide (after entrance approx €100.00) to get the most out of your visit.

The Acropolis shop has a great selection of official memorabilia (copies of statue heads, mounted, etc..) at various price points.

Note of warning for the Museum.

Back packs, large holdalls and the like a banned. But there are secure lockers available if your bag/purse is denied access.

Edited by PORT ROYAL