Danube or Rhine?

momto3gr8boys

Hi,

We are in the early planning stages for a fall 2018 river cruise. We are currently looking into an Adventures by Disney adult only food and wine Rhine cruise or an Oktoberfest Danube cruise. The food and wine is on the AmaKristina and the Oktoberfest is on the AmaViola. Each hits the following ports:

Food and Wine:

Basel, Switzerland

Strasbourg, France (overnight)

Mannheim, Germany

Rudesheim, Germany

Cologne, Germany

Amsterdam, Netherlands (overnight)

Oktoberfest:

Munich, Germany

Vilshofen, Germany

Passau, Germany

Linz, Austria

Melk, Austria

Vienna, Austria

Bratislava, Slovakia

Budapest, Hungary (overnight)

For those of you familiar with both areas, which would you choose and are there any issues/advantages of one itinerary over the other? I read the "New to River Cruising" articles above and did read the article on choosing the Rhine or Danube, and I think I know which way I'm leaning. But I'd love to hear experiences from those of you who have sailed these rivers and visited these ports. Thanks!

Edited by momto3gr8boys
formatting

Having done both the Rhine (this year) and Danube (last year) and looking at your two options, I would choose the Danube. I found the Danube to be more scenic, and the ports more easily accessible. Don't get me wrong, we also really enjoyed the Rhine, but in Strasbourg, you don't dock in town. And, the trip from Cologne to Amsterdam is basically a sea day.

Also, the Rhine is being run by Adventures by Disney, which makes me think you will be paying extra for that "service." AmaWaterways also does non-ABD cruises.

Also, having been in Munich during Springfest....it's a lot of fun!!!!

We are returning to the Danube next spring.....

Happy to answer any questions.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

We are in the early planning stages for a fall 2018 river cruise. We are currently looking into an Adventures by Disney adult only food and wine Rhine cruise or an Oktoberfest Danube cruise. The food and wine is on the AmaKristina and the Oktoberfest is on the AmaViola. Each hits the following ports:

Food and Wine:

Basel, Switzerland

Strasbourg, France (overnight)

Mannheim, Germany

Rudesheim, Germany

Cologne, Germany

Amsterdam, Netherlands (overnight)

Oktoberfest:

Munich, Germany

Vilshofen, Germany

Passau, Germany

Linz, Austria

Melk, Austria

Vienna, Austria

Bratislava, Slovakia

Budapest, Hungary (overnight)

For those of you familiar with both areas, which would you choose and are there any issues/advantages of one itinerary over the other? I read the "New to River Cruising" articles above and did read the article on choosing the Rhine or Danube, and I think I know which way I'm leaning. But I'd love to hear experiences from those of you who have sailed these rivers and visited these ports. Thanks!

We have not sailed on the Rhine so I cannot comment onthat routing.

The Danube is scenic, especially through the Wachau Valley. The abbey at Melk, the entire city Vienna and Budapest, especially at night is a must see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having done both the Rhine (this year) and Danube (last year) and looking at your two options, I would choose the Danube. I found the Danube to be more scenic, and the ports more easily accessible. Don't get me wrong, we also really enjoyed the Rhine, but in Strasbourg, you don't dock in town. And, the trip from Cologne to Amsterdam is basically a sea day.

Also, the Rhine is being run by Adventures by Disney, which makes me think you will be paying extra for that "service." AmaWaterways also does non-ABD cruises.

Also, having been in Munich during Springfest....it's a lot of fun!!!!

We are returning to the Danube next spring.....

Happy to answer any questions.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto and for the same reasons.

I know both areas from numerous land based trips and would have a hard time deciding. This year we will return to the Middle Rhine Valley and do a day cruise from Bingen to Boppard.

Looking at the ports:

Rhine

You will probably fly into Zuerich, pleasant airport, take train or bus to Basel, nice town. Maybe there is a pre-trip to scenic Lucerne with an excursion to Mt Pilatus in the Alps. Strasbourg is indeed a bit away from the Rhine, but an excellent destination. Mannheim is an industrial city which was completely destroyed in WW2 by fire bombs. You will probably ride a bus to Heidelberg or Speyer, both good choices. Ruedesheim is a tiny, cute and touristy town in the scenic Middle Rhine Valley with all the castles. Cologne has an awesome cathedral. The city is located on the Rhine. Amsterdam is worth a trip on its own.

Danube

Munich to Vilshofen is a long bus ride. Passau is located right on the river, medieval town. Linz is of minor interest, will there be excursions? Melk is right on the river with an awesome baroque abbey. It's at the beginning of the scenic Wachau valley. Vienna is a destination of its own, former capital of the huge Habsburg empire. With no overnight, you will barely touch the major sites. Its historic downtown is not located on the Danube. The landscape is now flat. I don't know Bratislava. Budapest is located right on the Danube, excellent city also worth several days.

Tough decision, but either should be a great trip. We did both those stretches, although in several more days with additional stops. I would need to resort to a coin flip if I had to make your decision.

According to the map site I checked, it's about a two hour drive from Munich to the ship. That Danube itinerary is a good one with a bit of scenery in the Wachau Valley and interesting cities. Don't sell Linz short, hopefully the cruise will include an opportunity to experience the Matthausen "Death Camp." If you dock where many ships do in Vienna, it's just an easy walk to the Ubahn. Bratislava is a gem and not touristy.

We flew into Basel and had a short (half hour?) ride to the ship. You're looking at about an hour and a half to get to Basel from the airport. Strasbourg is a beautiful city. The times we visited, we docked just a short walk from a tram line to the city center and were provided with a day pass - very convenient. You'll also get the castle stretch of the Rhein. But you also get a long, kind of boring stretch from Cologne to Amsterdam, where I assume you will just get off the ship and, unless you extend, go to the airport. Check the itinerary to see what you'll get there.

We have done both with Tauck and enjoyed both. Danube was a longer trip, but very interesting (make sure you spend a few days in Prague on your own if not included in the itinerary). Take a look at Tauck, very inclusive with great excursions included.

I agree both are great cruises. We did them both on Uniworld. Danube was my favorite. Just plan to stay in Budapest for a couple of days afterwards. It is a fabulous city and an overnight there just does not do it justice.

It probably doesn't matter which you do first... You'll probably love river cruising so much that you'll be back to do the other one soon enough! They are both great so don't agonize. Picking the best cruise line (for you) is probably a more important consideration.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app