Magic Cove Balcony - loud and smelly?

bohemian101

I recently booked a November cruise on the Magic. I've been on the ship before in a spa balcony cabin which was lovely, but decided to go for a cove balcony this time around due to pricing. (I had a promotion for the spa balcony last time around but without the promo it's too steep for me and the cove is much cheaper.)

My question is that after booking, I noticed quite a few reviews about sewer smells in various cove balcony cabins - apparently from a vent from the deck above - and also complaints of noise from the dining areas and galley above. Unfortunately the only cove cabins that are left at this time are completely mid ship under the center of the galley so it's not like I could move under the guest services desk or lobby. Has anyone stayed in or about cabin 2382? If so, how was the noise level and were there any issues with serious odors? I did read that apparently there are some quiet cabins under specific parts of the galley but not sure where they are located.

I have lupus so a lack of sleep can really send me into a tail spin. My only other option since we have 3 people would either be to upgrade to a much more expensive cabin or downgrade to an interior on the Rivera deck and I'd prefer not to do either. :(

Thanks for any advice!

I recently booked a November cruise on the Magic. I've been on the ship before in a spa balcony cabin which was lovely, but decided to go for a cove balcony this time around due to pricing. (I had a promotion for the spa balcony last time around but without the promo it's too steep for me and the cove is much cheaper.)

My question is that after booking, I noticed quite a few reviews about sewer smells in various cove balcony cabins - apparently from a vent from the deck above - and also complaints of noise from the dining areas and galley above. Unfortunately the only cove cabins that are left at this time are completely mid ship under the center of the galley so it's not like I could move under the guest services desk or lobby. Has anyone stayed in or about cabin 2382? If so, how was the noise level and were there any issues with serious odors? I did read that apparently there are some quiet cabins under specific parts of the galley but not sure where they are located.

I have lupus so a lack of sleep can really send me into a tail spin. My only other option since we have 3 people would either be to upgrade to a much more expensive cabin or downgrade to an interior on the Rivera deck and I'd prefer not to do either. :(

Thanks for any advice!

Your current cabin in indeed under the galley. I can't tell you if it will be noisy. Some cabins under the galley are noisy and some aren't. If you can't afford or don't want to spend the money to upgrade have you considered a Ocean view cabin? We chose an Ocean view cabin for 3 on Rivera Deck on the Breeze for next year. An inside will have the third person sleeping on an upper. If you choose that I hope it will work for you.

The ocean view may be an option if I can't rustle up anyone who has stayed in or near cove cabin 2382. When I stayed in the spa balcony, it was with my mom so my hubby and son have never experienced a balcony cabin before. I really thought they would enjoy it - but I know none of us will enjoy the smell of sewer or banging around all night. lol That's why I was hoping someone who stayed in that cabin may shed some light on the noise and potential smells. Thank you for your help!

If you are worried about noise, I highly recommend bringing ear plugs. I'm actually not sure why more people don't think to bring them. I sleep with them every night. With my husband's snoring, it's the only way I can get any sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just in a Cove Balcony on the Magic in April. Yes, there is a subtle sewer smell at times. We were not under the galley, but under the dining room. Not sure what was going on, but we had about 10-15 minutes of noise at night around 11 (when we were there to hear it). Other than the slight smell, we absolutely loved the cove balcony! It was so private and close to the water. Loved not being over another deck, overlooking people walking or in hot tubs. Highly recommend!

I have been on the Magic 4 times and yes you can smell sewage at times. It usually doesn't last long though. I was on the Lido 3 times and smelled the sewage smell on the lido on 3 different cruises but did not smell it in a cove balcony cabin 2314. It seems not to linger long. We loved our cove balcony. Have the same cabin booked for next year. Also had a cove on the Dream and the Breeze. I stayed in 2400 on the Dream and had very little noise. Did hear a bang once but that was the worst of it. If you are a light sleeper, you may have a problem. I have no problem going back to sleep if I get woke up. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for any advice!

Scroll down once you click on the link and you will find a review of the cabin you requested on the Dream. Since the Magic is a sister ship of the Dream, I assume that it would be the same.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-dream-deck-plans/dp/cove-balcony-7c/cc/

Here is a link to reviews of the cove balconies on the Magic. There are a couple of reviews VERY close to cabin 2382.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-magic-deck-plans/dp/cove-balcony-7c/cc/

Edited by estillcrew

Please tell me why. We have a cove booked on a future cruise.

Just make sure you're not under the galley and you should experience little if any noise from above.

We've had cove balconies on the Dream and the Magic. No sewer smells in the cabin at all. We have done over 30 cruises and have experienced momentary sewer smells on every one of them. It's a ship thing.

Thank you for all of the help. Estillcrew, I never thought to check the reviews of the Dream! I found a review of the same cabin who said it was wonderful and they had no noise issues. I don't see why the Magic would be much different since I would think the galley above would be laid out the same. I feel much better about it so think I'm going to pack my ear plugs and go for it. Wonder if they will allow you to take a small electric white noise machine on board with you?

We brought an MP3 player and a speaker for white noise for our cabin. Very useful. We didn't have anything above us, but it helped with the door banging and guests walking past our cabin. Our 3 yr old wouldn't have slept without it.

Thank you for all of the help. Estillcrew, I never thought to check the reviews of the Dream! I found a review of the same cabin who said it was wonderful and they had no noise issues. I don't see why the Magic would be much different since I would think the galley above would be laid out the same. I feel much better about it so think I'm going to pack my ear plugs and go for it. Wonder if they will allow you to take a small electric white noise machine on board with you?

I have read of people taking a white noise machine or small fan on board with them, but I have never done it.

I hope the cabin is perfect for you!

I must have background noise to sleep and I used to carry around a machine but I have an app on my phone that I use now instead of a machine. The one I use is called "white noise" and it has all kinds of sounds you can use. I just plug in my phone and let it play all night.

Please tell me why. We have a cove booked on a future cruise.

There's probably no valid reason. That guy is here simply to rain on everyone else's parade.

Cove balconies are great! We had one on the Magic last Oct and have the same room booked for our cruise later this year.

I was in 2315 on the magic last month. We were not under the galley so I can't comment on the noise but we definitely experienced the sewage smell. It was unbearable some days and others just a slight smell. We complained about it and they came and confirmed the smell d then gave us a $300 on board credit which was actually right around the difference between that room and what we would have paid for an OV. In the end not a bad deal as we ended up using the room mostly as an oceanview but did get to enjoy the balcony a few days when the smell wasn't as bad.

I always bring my small travel clock/white noise machine with me in my carry on. It also has a plug in where I can put ear buds in if my snoring husband (sorry neighbors!) is still watching whatever ball game is on tv when I'm ready to nap/sleep. It's by Sound Oasis. More expensive than most, but my first I bought half price on overstock. When it wore out, I bought another one.

We stayed in 2411 on the Magic and 2309 on the Breeze and there was no sewer smell on the balconies or any galley noise.

I bring foam earplugs because I'm sort of a light sleeper but was never woken up by any noises in the middle of the night other than docking noises early in the morning.. but we're early risers so we're awake by then anyway.

Thanks for any advice!

We're booked in a cove balcony just a few doors away from yours. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but DH can sleep through anything and, even at home, I use an app on my phone every night that plays thunderstorm sounds. With the earbuds in, it's enough to block out the noise of DH's snoring, so I should be good. Our poor DD, though... lol.