First Post and First Cruise on Epic, Some Cabin Advice please.

AvaKM

Hi Guys,

My first post and looking for little bit of advice. We'll be going on Epic in Feb sailing from Port Canaveral and booked a mini-suite, cabin 9260. However, hubs friend is a massive cruiser and been on Epic quite a few times and told us to 'beware' of 'white/dead' space areas in/around/near cabin. On checking deck plan, yup, there's tons of this on deck 9 and quite near our cabin. Should we change or is this okay? We have been on two other cruises, nothing as big as Epic, but we had cabins all around and in front of us on those and didn't have any of this 'dead' space. Any advice very welcome.

Decks 8 and 9 are not ideal because of the life boats, but I don't see the massive amount of white space you are talking about around 9260. It's across from the elevator, which to me is a negative, but it is after the second hump, which is usually a positive.

There are a lot of fantastic reviews on here. Try searching for more info. This review says it was an excellent room: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=89942

Decks 8 and 9 are not ideal because of the life boats, but I don't see the massive amount of white space you are talking about around 9260. It's across from the elevator, which to me is a negative, but it is after the second hump, which is usually a positive.

There are a lot of fantastic reviews on here. Try searching for more info. This review says it was an excellent room: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=89942

I saw that review, and did do a search and that was the only one I could find for the specific cabin. I saw the white space on the deck plan on ncl site just behind the stair area starting at cabin 9264 going all the way back to the aft balcony cabins which is a pretty big area, that's why was little bit concerned. Can I ask why a cabin across from the elevator is a negative for you?

I'd be less worried about the white space than the open space in front of your cabin door. You're right next to the stairs and the elevators with no wall to dampen the sound from those 2 places. But, I did have a friend who was on the Epic recently, in a mini suite in that location. He and his wife had no noise problems on that cruise. It's just based on how many loud people you have using the stairs and the elevators at various times of day and night.

I'd be less worried about the white space than the open space in front of your cabin door. You're right next to the stairs and the elevators with no wall to dampen the sound from those 2 places. But, I did have a friend who was on the Epic recently, in a mini suite in that location. He and his wife had no noise problems on that cruise. It's just based on how many loud people you have using the stairs and the elevators at various times of day and night.

Thank you, I might see if they'll move us, even just a few up.

The problem with white noise is that it could be something noisy, but this only matters if it's right next to your cabin, or right above you. Which is not the case for your cabin. If the noise were bad enough to bother you in 9260, the cabins closer to the white space would be uninhabitable.

Most white space is absolutely harmless, but you just never know (and the cruise line doesn't want you to know).

The problem with white noise is that it could be something noisy, but this only matters if it's right next to your cabin, or right above you. Which is not the case for your cabin. If the noise were bad enough to bother you in 9260, the cabins closer to the white space would be uninhabitable.

Thank you

I see no white space next to your cabin (I've stayed in a cabin adjacent to white space and it wasn't a problem at all), but I have to agree with those who said the issue is that the cabin is right by the elevators. That's what would concern me. There are only two banks of elevators on the Epic so they get a lot of use, and you know how noisy people can be while they're waiting for them. Everyone going to the elevator from your side of the ship will pass right by your door. It likely won't be a huge deal unless you're always in your cabin, but you'll likely be out using the elevators the same time as everyone else. :)

I see no white space next to your cabin (I've stayed in a cabin adjacent to white space and it wasn't a problem at all), but I have to agree with those who said the issue is that the cabin is right by the elevators. That's what would concern me. There are only two banks of elevators on the Epic so they get a lot of use, and you know how noisy people can be while they're waiting for them. Everyone going to the elevator from your side of the ship will pass right by your door. It likely won't be a huge deal unless you're always in your cabin, but you'll likely be out using the elevators the same time as everyone else. :)

I am a tad worried as hubs sleeps like a log, unfortunately, I'm a light sleeper. I'm going to see about a change but have no idea what/where to ask for lol.

I am a tad worried as hubs sleeps like a log, unfortunately, I'm a light sleeper. I'm going to see about a change but have no idea what/where to ask for lol.

I always bring ear plugs just in case! I look for cabins that have cabins above and below me and then avoid elevators and white space. Nothing's perfect, but that seems to get me better cabins than letting someone else pick!

The "white spaces" are either storage closest for the housekeeping carts, or some sort of "mechanical" room, where plumbing/electrical stuff is..no 'machinery"....Never been bothered by those spaces.

We like being close to the elevator/stairway foyer...very convenient!

Storage space can be problematic, depending on how often crew have to move stuff in and out, and at what times of the day, and how quiet they are about it.

But on the Epic I think a lot of the white space is actually crew quarters (I have heard that they are not relegated to living on the lower decks like on many other ships).

I always bring ear plugs just in case! I look for cabins that have cabins above and below me and then avoid elevators and white space. Nothing's perfect, but that seems to get me better cabins than letting someone else pick!

Some seem to prefer near elevators and some not, it's hard to choose.

The "white spaces" are either storage closest for the housekeeping carts, or some sort of "mechanical" room, where plumbing/electrical stuff is..no 'machinery"....Never been bothered by those spaces.

We like being close to the elevator/stairway foyer...very convenient!

I think being at the 'open' bit of the elevator part might be problematic so might ask for one a wee bit farther in.

Storage space can be problematic, depending on how often crew have to move stuff in and out, and at what times of the day, and how quiet they are about it.

But on the Epic I think a lot of the white space is actually crew quarters (I have heard that they are not relegated to living on the lower decks like on many other ships).

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, interesting, and as you say, it depends on how quiet the crew are too!