Overwhelmed and looking for guidance!

flyboyswife

Hoping to get some help from my friends on this board. I am responsible for planning a famil trip to Alaska. Variety of ages (10-80) and mobility levels (not everyone will do the same things). Typically we do Caribbean cruises and it's very easy for me to research private vendors at various ports. Now, for whatever reason, I'm extremely overwhelmed at the prospect of a two week trip with stops inland and cruise ports. I'm hoping for some advice on the following...our bucket list includes Whitewater rafting at Denali, riding a helicopter to a glacier (anywhere) and whale watching (again, anywhere). Salmon fishing is also of interest. Here's where we are going:

Fairbanks

Denali

Talkeetna

Anchorage

Seward

Hubbard Glacier

Juneau

Skagway

Icy Strait

Ketchikan

Vancouver

Any recommendations for the best places to do these things as well as particularly great private vendors? Also, what are we missing - is there anything else we should see or do that we would be remiss about missing in the future? For the elders in our group, this is likely their only visit. Open to any and all suggestions, thank you in advance! I've been so stressed about this I feel almost frozen in my planning....Thanks again, Christine

For the elders (as I am one) there are a variety of things they can do in port that don't require an excursion. In Juneau if they are able they can rent a car and drive to Mendenhall Glacier and then ride the Tramway.

In Skagway people enjoy the train. If you go through the cruiseline they usually pick you up right at the dock instead of making you walk into town and it is only a few dollars more.

In Ketchikan there is an awesome Rain Forest museum/educational center a short walk from the pier. At this center you can sit in a room with a giant imax type screen and watch a movie of flying over the terrain in Alaska.

I think you WILL continue to be overwhelmed if you try to plan every waking moment together ..... encourage people to do a little research on their own, to learn about all the options available so they can choose activities that are best suited to their interests. Going your own way occasionally makes for fun dinner conversations as you relive your day! ie Maybe you'll start off together taking the train in Skagway, but some folks will choose to take a sightseeing van back to town rather than staying on the train for the return.

Ask everyone to look at the cruiseline's excursion list to see what appeals. Easy to replicate most excursions if you prefer DIY.

There are numerous trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are reports from families of all ages, including multi generational groups. Many are detailed photo journals with info on sights, activities, excursions, vendor names, etc. There are also a few books specific to Alaska cruises, with info on ports, excursions, recommendations, etc. Maybe a book would make a good xmas gift for family members.

Every town/port has a web site which helps support local tourism. Many also have detailed Visitor Guides that you can download. Lots of resources in the Helpful Resources thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988&highlight=resources

).

Since excursions are quite overwhelming and expensive, why don't you put together like 2 or 3 suggestions for the larger ports, and share them with your group. Ask their opinion what they might like. You don't say how many in your party, so we don't know if renting a vehicle would be more cost effective etc, then the train etc. also. My suggestion is don't overplan either. Especially if you have mobility issues, with that usually comes with folks getting tired etc too. In some ports we just walked around and soaked up the atmosphere.

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on the Celebrity Infinity. We stopped in Icy Straight Point (Glacier Wind Charters-whale watching-small boats-6 people-Captain Shawn), Juneau (Harv and Marv-whale watching-Captain Brent-small boats but I think they have bigger ones if you need them) and Ketchikan (Island Wings air service-a float plane tour).

We asked for suggestions and these are the companies that kept being suggested. We were told that if you're really into whales, we should book one in ISP and one in Juneau because they would be totally different experiences. They were SO right! They are more personalized experiences and less expensive than booking them on board the ship!

The floatplane is a 1957 De Havilland and it's in fantastic condition! Michelle, the pilot is amazing! 6 people fit in her plane and you don't feel crammed in.

In Juneau, we also went to Alaska Knifeworks. They have wonderful knives (including the Ulu knives). All their knives are great quality! If anyone is interested in them, you should stop by.

You can look all these tours and shop in TripAdvisor. That is how we also chose who to go with. TripAdvisor is a wonderful way to find out about things to do at each place.

For some ideas on the different ports and a review of the glaciers, please visit my blog....http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com I have been on 10 Alaska cruises and will be doing our 11th this summer. I have a lot of information on Alaska available there. You will also find a packing list. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Alaska is our favorite destination.

We visited a few years ago and did a private whale watch with M/V SCANIA Adventures in Alaska with Captain Alan and Captain Jack” We are going back in August and loved it enough to book again. Small group no big boat fighting for rail time. Capt Alan was knowledgeable and personable. Will sing their praises all day!

ISP for whale watching, definitely. We took the ship's tour on an Allen Marine boat and it was amazing. Unlike many comments I've read, there were not "150 people" on the boat. It was comfortable. Plenty of viewing options.

Between the orcas and the humpbacks - and the gorgeous snow-covered mountains all around - it was an absolutely wonderful, memorable experience. Highly recommend. (btw - I didn't enjoy the whale watching in Juneau at all - maybe because ISP was so amazing)

I agree with mapleleaves - if you try to plan every minute detail, you will drive yourself nuts!

There is no way you are going to be able to please everybody, so come up with several excursion in each port, present them to the fam and let them decide what interests them. And most of them are perfectly capable of looking up things themselves, so gently remind them of that fact.

I was put in charge of our family cruise to Mexico out of New Orleans about 6-years ago. I researched excursions and emailed everyone who said everything looked fine, although I suspected they didn't look at what I sent. It wasn't until afterwards that I heard thru the grapevine that we did things they didn't care for because it didn't interest them in the first place. That was the last time I planned anything - the stress of doing it isn't worth it.....