ship crew honesty

I am planning on suprising my wife with a ring on our next cruise to celebrate our 25th wedding anniv. I had planned on sneaking it on board and having the waiter hand it to her on a plate during dessert. I thought I'd give it to the head waiter on the way to the table that night. One of my co-workers (Mr. Negative) has pointed out that he/she could just pocket it and deny ever getting it. Maybe I'm too trusting but I hadn't even considered that possibility. Of course I would tip the waiter for his/her help in pulling off the suprise. In my 3 cruises so far, I have never had any thoughts of a dishonest crewmember. It will be a VERY nice ring so should I maybe go to "plan b"?

You have the beginnings of (or are already) a very romantic, thoughtful guy; however, I would rather receive the ring directly from my guy, not on a plate by an anonymous waiter. I don't think the issue is security, but romance and memories. Also, the waiter is a busy person and things just may not go perfectly with a busy dining room and lots of things to do - tip or no tip. Go for a trip to the fore deck in the starlight with one knee hitting the ground, that and the fact it is happening on a wonderful cruise, will make it very memorrable.

Also, I speak from some experience on the "ring on a plate" issue. At my wedding we had the rings on a plate and they scooted everywhere on that plate in the short distance they had to go. Your ring may not end up in a dishonest waiter's pocket, but somewhere on the floor prior to presentation!

Happy memories and anniversary!:)

I don't think I would risk it.

What if it is the last week that the waiter is working before he returns home to the Ukraine or some other country and isn't worried about being fired?

Have you read this thread about a maitre d' that lied to cover his butt?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=259167

If you really want to do this, buy some kind of cheap CZ ring that is representative of the "real" ring and give her the real ring in your stateroom.

You have nothing to worry about.

If you approach the head waiter and let him know what your plans are, he will be more than obliged to help you. It is his job to do things like that.

As far as security, The cruise ships believe the passengers first, and the crew all knows that. If someone has raised to the ranks of head waiter, it is because he has the responsibility and trust of the ship.

I would take a picture of the ring for security ( and insurance purposes) if you still have any doubts....

Have fun and stop worrying

As far as security, The cruise ships believe the passengers first, and the crew all knows that. If someone has raised to the ranks of head waiter, it is because he has the responsibility and trust of the ship.

Read the link below where person who thinks of himself first and who lacks responsibility and trust rose to the rank of maitre d'.

I can see the staff now, "ring, what ring?".

I've always found hotel housekeeping staffs, including staffs on cruiseships to be very true to the degree of trust their positions require. I guess it's a matter of pride and basic honesty. Plus they don't want to risk the loss of their contracts. Dishonesty on a cruiseship is very easy to track.

The Maitre'd usually delivers the gifts that have been sent at dinner. I am sure you could trust the Maitre'd. If you are really worried have him sign a receipt for it. I like the idea of the ring in the champagne too, or a message written in chocolate on a plate delivered by the waiter.

I guess I'm with the trusting crowd, I know things happen, but its nice to have a little faith in people. All the ideas sound great, you could also get your own bottle of champagne, tie a ribbon around it and put the ring on that. All kinds of ideas, I think it's great and she'll appreciate the thought no matter what you do.

Read the link below where person who thinks of himself first and who lacks responsibility and trust rose to the rank of maitre d'.

I can see the staff now, "ring, what ring?".

There is a big difference from someone covering his butt and taking a ring.

If you explain the situation to the maitre d' he cannot lie about it and get away with it.

A friend of mine on a last cruise lost his necklace while swimming, he could not find it and he reported it lost to the purser. The necklace was found in a crewmembers room ( not a very high up crewmember) he was put in Jail until the cruiseline interviewed my friend to make sure he actually lost it and not got it stolen. My friend explained that it fell off in the pool and when he realized it he could not find it.

The crewmember simply found the necklace and did not steal it. He still got 1 week without pay and 3 days in lockup for not reporting it found.

No idea how the ship found it in the crewmembers room, but they have a hugely strict policy on theft and like I said earlier, they take the word of the passengers first over the crewmembers..

Regardless of whether or not you can trust the crew, I would agree with the earlier poster that said it would be more romantic to receive it from you, rather than the waiter. How about surprising her with it on the deck after a walk in the moonlight---I think that would be much more romantic!

I say go for it. I have really never seen a dishonest crew member. On our last cruise my sister lost a diamond necklace. (we were on the voyager) whoever found it could have easily put it in their pocket and no one would have ever known. But the next day it was at the pursers desk. If my husband was presenting a bauble to me, I would love to have it served on a plate.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

I agree with the posters who said that security should not be a concern, and I second the notion that it will not be that romantic. This should be a personal moment between the two of you. Public surprises seem self centered, to make the giver seem important.

You know her best, what would she want? Public attention (most people will applaud if you are going to make a big deal) or an intimate gift?

Either way, congratulations on your Anniversary.

I think your idea is awesome. I would find it very romantic and exciting to think I was getting dessert or something like that and find it a ring instead. As for trusting the crew, I would have no second thoughts about this at all. Of course anything can happen, heck you could buy her a $10,000 diamond and have the jeweler replace the stone without your knowledge, but it isn't likely to happen. Go for it and let us know her reaction. NMNita

I think it is a wonderful idea, and if you have a moment can you talk to my other half and give him ideas. I told him on our 25th I wanted at larger ring. He sent to work a dozen roses with a plastic carrot tied on it and said "I hope you like your carrot and many more years of happiness". It was cute and alot of explaining, but I did get my ring when we go home.

We were at an all inclusive resort a few years back with about 10 people at our table. I put an empty pack of cigarettes on the table and the waiter picked it up to throw away. He came back a few minutes later and tapped me on the shoulder and said I my want to keep this. I gave him a weird look and he turned it around and showed me the $20 that was in it. I had put it in the pack during the day incase I needed it and forgot all about it. Needless to say the waiter got to keep the $20. After talking to him, he said there are alot of people that would do this to get them in touble and loose there jobs. This left us with a great impression of the resort.

Have a great cruise and I can't wait for mine in March, we will be celebrating our 30th.

Justwaiting

You are all overlooking the biggest potential problem. What if your wife decides to run off with the waiter when he gives her the ring because the waiter remebered your anniversary and you didn't......:eek:

You are being funny but there is a point in what you are saying.

I think that the giving of a ring should be a special moment between two people. Adding someone else into the mix takes the "specialness" out of it and makes it kind of gimmicky.

You are being funny but there is a point in what you are saying.

I think that the giving of a ring should be a special moment between two people. Adding someone else into the mix takes the "specialness" out of it and makes it kind of gimmicky.

That is in your opinion.. some people like that stuff. If the person wants to have the waiter deliver the ring, it is up to him, all the op was asking is if it was safe, which in my OPINION it is.

Archived