Ship rock n roll... forward or aft cabins..??

kimba_99

A question for anyone who has cruised in both far forward or aft cabins.... which has more motion in rough seas..??

I know mid ship has the least amount of movement but the only available cabins, at this time and in the catagory I am interested in, are forward or aft so which would you choose and why..??

Thanks

Kim

Sapphire Princess Roll Call Christmas/New Year Cruise Syd-Auk 23 Dec 2004

My pics from Alaska, June 2003

http://community.webshots.com/user/kimba_99

I think stateroom location as far as rough seas is highly over-rated, but a lower deck in the middle may have slightly less movement. Except in extreme cases, there is not much difference from cabin to cabin.

If the choice is aft or foreward, aft should ride with a little less pitch.

It may depend on the ship, but we had a cabin almost all the way aft (3 from end) on the baja deck on the Regal (smaller ship) and altho the seas were a bit rough crossing the Pacific, the cabin was fine. After a day or two you get you sea legs and are OK.

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001

Grand Princess, Western,April 2002

Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

I'd rather be aft than forward. If the seas get rough, you might feel some pounding and extra noise if the bow is riding up then coming down hard. You won't get that if you are aft.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

I think it's even more important to be on a lower deck than aft or forward because there's less side-to-side movement (a ship doesn't only go up and down). That said, I think the least amount of movement is a lower deck and aft.

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

If you have to endure rough seas, I think being somewhat aft is better than forward.

If forward, you run into "bow slap", which can be rather violent.

We were forward on Golden Princess, C-250, and ran into two Atlantic storms, 9-02. Although up on Deck 10, we had heavy spray from the "bow slap" onto our balcony, and the ship really got into a "shuddering mode".

Several windows along Prom deck shattered, due to the flexing of the ship.

On the other side of the coin, we had been on Royal Princess in similar sea states, and barely felt any movement. I think the Royal Princess a much better rider in rough seas than the Golden Princess. Fineness of hull shape has a lot to do with ride.

Michael

We have just booked a forward cabin on Emerald deck and just hope that it will be OK. We were recently on the same ship (Island Princess) on the Caribe in the middle and had pretty rough seas, where it was pretty scary on the top decks and the dancing shows had to be cancelled, but we were fine in the cabin. Hopefully we won't encounter rough seas, but if we do I'm sure we'll cope, especially as you say it's better to be lower down the ship.

Days to Island Princess and Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;19;0;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Island Princes, February 2004

Golden Princess, June 2002

Archived