Researching Alaska Cruises for next year

avic77

So I have narrowed my choices to the two previously mention.

NCL Sun April 19th - 28th:

Pros:

9 days

Extra port Icy Straight

Longer time in Victoria

longer time in Ketchikan

previously cruised with NCL

Cons:

Early in the season (1st cruise to Alaska for the season but that could be a good thing)

Does not go through the Inside passage between Victoria and Vancouver

not as fond of the deck plans

Princess Ruby April 28th - May 5th

Pros:

a little later in the season

goes through the inside passage

longer port time in Juneau

I like the deck plans of the Princess more It looks like it has more viewing decks

Cons:

Less days

1 less port

short port time in Victoria

was only able to book a guaranteed room

I do not have any promotions to make one a better value. They cost about the same with the NCL slightly more expensive because of extra days.

So I have narrowed my choices to the two previously mention.

NCL Sun April 19th - 28th:

Pros:

9 days

Extra port Icy Straight

Longer time in Victoria

longer time in Ketchikan

previously cruised with NCL

Cons:

Early in the season (1st cruise to Alaska for the season but that could be a good thing)

Does not go through the Inside passage between Victoria and Vancouver

not as fond of the deck plans

Princess Ruby April 28th - May 5th

Pros:

a little later in the season

goes through the inside passage

longer port time in Juneau

I like the deck plans of the Princess more It looks like it has more viewing decks

Cons:

Less days

1 less port

short port time in Victoria

was only able to book a guaranteed room

I do not have any promotions to make one a better value. They cost about the same with the NCL slightly more expensive because of extra days.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. As you note both have pros & cons. For me the early April is a serious CON... but if it wasn't possible, they wouldn't offer it, right? (I'm still thinking about weather so bad that a port was missed this past April & rougher seas = seasickness. I mean with all of the planning & expenses you want to enjoy yourselves, right?)

Caveat, in 2012 when we did AK the first time, May was too early for me. (In error I assumed that May was less desirable, I would not be opposed to a May Alaskan cruise now that I have more knowledge on the subject.) Next time for us is July 2017 - so we can see bears!

I mention that so that you can maybe make up your mind based on what you want to see/do. Is April too early for _______? Is the question you need to answer. (You may want to think about contacting vendors to get the answer from "the horses mouth.")

Think about it, if your business was based on May to September & you hired people form out of state for the summer - that could impact whether or not you operated in April. (Not to mention if May to September were your busy time, you might want to grab a quick vacation for yourself in April prior to the start of the season.)

Again, both of those are too early for me. Though - Princess is offering free drink package for balcony and above right now which may make this a better value.

I have to be back home between the last week of May and first week of June. I am coordinator for our schools graduation ceremony and banquet. So i have to be back to prepare for that. Also I dont really want to go in high season or June-August. So we have looked at the sailings between April 19th and May 12th.