How are the mattresses?

LindaKE

I've found all cruise ship mattresses, with the exception of the Haven on NCL, to be absolute garbage. I think it's because nobody really makes a quality twin mattress.

Two years ago when i was on the Pride they were loading on tons of new mattresses. I think it's something that Carnival slowly changes, like cabin televisions.

I often wonder what kind of POS mattress, those who rave about Carnival's mattresses, are sleeping on at home.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

In our case, a Tempurpedic Cloud. I would not say we rave about them but they were comfortable and we had no issues. I have been in lots of hotel rooms, not necessarily cheap hotels, that had worse. Mattresses are subjective like the OP said

In our case, a Tempurpedic Cloud. I would not say we rave about them but they were comfortable and we had no issues. I have been in lots of hotel rooms, not necessarily cheap hotels, that had worse. Mattresses are subjective like the OP said

+1.

I can always tell exactly where the twin beds are joined but for a week I can avoid that. Cruise ship beds are not perfect but that has never affected my cruise experience at all.

I swear I read somewhere that you can request a topper, so you don't have to transport one.

Oh I found an old thread! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686898

Thanks for the thread. I think my idea of bringing a foam topper is what we'll do. New or in a space bag they shouldn't take too much room in luggage.

Several years ago, can't remember how many now, Carnival put new mattress's, pillows, and linen's on all their ships. They were very comfortable. So comfortable in fact, that people loved them and asked where they could get them. Carnival put up a website, where you could purchase the items, for home.

Last couple of cruises, I have noticed that the mattress was getting a bit hard. Not sure if having thousands of people sleeping on them, would cause that, but there is definitely a change in the feel. Not for the better.

On one Carnival cruise our mattress was very hard. My husband and I both have bad backs. We mentioned it to our room steward and when we went to bed that night we noticed he had put a nice comfy egg crate pad on our king bed!! Very comfy!! Just ask if your mattress is not comfortable. They are there to help you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Several years ago, can't remember how many now, Carnival put new mattress's, pillows, and linen's on all their ships. They were very comfortable. So comfortable in fact, that people loved them and asked where they could get them. Carnival put up a website, where you could purchase the items, for home.

Last couple of cruises, I have noticed that the mattress was getting a bit hard. Not sure if having thousands of people sleeping on them, would cause that, but there is definitely a change in the feel. Not for the better.

Age causes a mattress to get softer/saggier, not firmer. Just an FYI. Those of us with back and joint issues often have to replace our mattresses more often than average for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are mattresses comfortable? (I know that's subjective.) Hard? Soft? We'll be in a GS suite on Fantasy if that makes any difference. I'm wondering if I should plan to take a foam topper since my back aches if I sleep on too hard a mattress.

I have had some good ones and not so good ones. On my last cruise (the Splendor, last September), the mattress was so thin and that I chose to to sleep on the sofa which was quite hard, almost too hard, but better than the bed/mattress. I do have back problems though, so that may have contributed to my woes.

Hopefully the mattresses in a suite would be better. I dont know though, so maybe best to bring the foam topper if you can. It is not nice to wake up every morning of your vacation in pain from a poor mattress.