Suite NCL vs Royal

jenn6743

Hello All... I am trying to make an educated decision between a NCL Haven Suite and a Suite on Royal. My DH and I are celebrating our anniversary after a roughy year of just life happening. We use to cruise more fequently, but it's been almost a year since our last cruise. We like cruising with RCL a little more than NCL bc the ships don't seem as crowed and it seems to be more entertainment. With that being said the Suite Perks on NCL far exceed what you receive on RCI. I also think the rooms are nicer on NCL. We have never cruised in a Suite before does it make much of a different ?

Thanks for any input!!!!

Jenn

Is a suite worth it?

Gets asked often and some of the answers are downright misleading. By that, I am referring to those that say "Haven is the only way to go".

Sure, it is great. Perks are great. Vary by ship of course. But, it costs money.

And, based on what people ACTUALLY book, most people do not book the suites. Why do I say that. Less than 10% of the cabins are suites, and they are usually still available because folks are booking insides, OV and Balcony cabins.

Suites are great, but you have to balance out the costs. Hard to say if it is worth it to you. You will get some good responses here. Some will be "so-so". Clarify the ship you are looking at.

If you want more, just do a quick search on HAVEN or SUITE and you will find some long discussions.

It depends on the Ship on both lines. NCL has the Haven and it is better on some ships than others. RCL has Oasis class ships that have the Suite area called the coastal kitchen. Also nice and similar to Haven. I would compare ships not lines for the suite options.

We have done everything from insides - but not in the last decade - to balconies, mini-suites, suites and the Haven. We look at the price point, and decide how much we are willing to pay for the enhanced Haven product. More often than not, we end up with the large balcony mini-suite and purchase a spa pass. But the last two cruises were in suites, one in Haven, one not, and the next is Haven. My own personal view is that paying for Haven is only worth it 1) on ships that have a Haven restaurant; and 2) on Epic, which includes Posh passes.

We do not particularly like the main dining rooms on most ships, and we do not like the need to make reservations in the specialties, but we love to go to Haven restaurant for dinner whenever we feel like it, and we think that on all ships we have been on, the Haven restaurant food is far superior to the main dining rooms and is on an equal par with the specialty restaurants.

I agree that Haven perks far exceed suite perks on RC. I have only been in a Celebrity Suite once, on Summit, and it was only a Sky Suite. At that level, I did not think the perks were better than NCL - some were better, some were worse, but as between the two, I preferred NCL. And the aft and forward penthouses on the NCL Away ships were MUCH larger than the Sky suite or at least it so seemed. But I do not know whether the higher level Celebrity suites offer more/better perks.

Terry

OP said she is deciding to get a suite on NCL or RCC. So price doesn't seem to be the problem, if your considering NCL, I would choose on the newer ships. I have been in suites on both lines. Rooms vary on each ship depending on what class room you get. But if your more interested in the service and experience, NCL runs hands down. One big difference is Haven courtyard, no crowds, easy to get lounges and pool and hot tubs are usually empty. Of course pool is really small but you can cool off in it. The Haven restaurant is fantastic. Service and good is superior then RCC. Concierge and butlers in my option were much better on NCL. NCL Haven is like a ship within a ship. It is quite and subdued then being at main pool area. The lounge on NCL is open all day, while the lounge on RCC is only open a few hours, but drinks are free in RCC lounge. But being in Haven you get UBP do drinks are free all over the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sailed in the Haven on the newer NCL ships (Epic, Escape, Getaway) and have looked hard at Royal's suites. I can't quite convince myself to to try Royal for several reasons:

1. Only the highest class suites on Royal come withe a Genie (their version of a butler). On NCL, all suites (regular and Haven) get a butler.

2. The suite amenities on the Royal ships vary depending on the ship class. While this is true to some point on NCL, it is less drastic. On NCL, all suites get butlers and a concierge. You get free room service. You have at least breakfast and lunch in a dedicated restaurant (on the newer ships dinner is offered as well). If there is a Haven and you are in Haven suite, you have access to the courtyard.

3. On at least some Royal ships, the concierge/suite lounge is shared with Royal's higher status cruisers. If you spend any time on that board, you will notice the recurring theme of their Diamond Plus and Pinnacle people ticked off that they have to share a lounge with people simply because those people are in a suite. That kind of turns me off.

4. You are limited in your room choices depending on how many people you have in your cabin. We like that we can book a 2-bedroom cabin whether there are two of us or six of us. When I was looking for a cabin for three on Royal, I wasn't able to book a two-bedroom at the time I was looking (this might have changed).

We've enjoyed our Haven experiences on the three ships we've been on. As an FYI, ranking the Havens, the Epic is the best followed by the Escape and then the Getaway. Ship-wise, we enjoyed the Escape the most. We are going back on the Escape in February. Before then, we are trying out our first non-Haven experience in a suite on the Dawn.

Hello All... I am trying to make an educated decision between a NCL Haven Suite and a Suite on Royal. My DH and I are celebrating our anniversary after a roughy year of just life happening. We use to cruise more fequently, but it's been almost a year since our last cruise. We like cruising with RCL a little more than NCL bc the ships don't seem as crowed and it seems to be more entertainment. With that being said the Suite Perks on NCL far exceed what you receive on RCI. I also think the rooms are nicer on NCL. We have never cruised in a Suite before does it make much of a different ?

Thanks for any input!!!!

Jenn

That's a no brainer. Do NCL's Haven on one of the newest ships. Enjoy. :D

I have sailed in the Haven on the newer NCL ships (Epic, Escape, Getaway) and have looked hard at Royal's suites. I can't quite convince myself to to try Royal for several reasons:

1. Only the highest class suites on Royal come withe a Genie (their version of a butler). On NCL, all suites (regular and Haven) get a butler.

2. The suite amenities on the Royal ships vary depending on the ship class. While this is true to some point on NCL, it is less drastic. On NCL, all suites get butlers and a concierge. You get free room service. You have at least breakfast and lunch in a dedicated restaurant (on the newer ships dinner is offered as well). If there is a Haven and you are in Haven suite, you have access to the courtyard.

3. On at least some Royal ships, the concierge/suite lounge is shared with Royal's higher status cruisers. If you spend any time on that board, you will notice the recurring theme of their Diamond Plus and Pinnacle people ticked off that they have to share a lounge with people simply because those people are in a suite. That kind of turns me off.

4. You are limited in your room choices depending on how many people you have in your cabin. We like that we can book a 2-bedroom cabin whether there are two of us or six of us. When I was looking for a cabin for three on Royal, I wasn't able to book a two-bedroom at the time I was looking (this might have changed).

We've enjoyed our Haven experiences on the three ships we've been on. As an FYI, ranking the Havens, the Epic is the best followed by the Escape and then the Getaway. Ship-wise, we enjoyed the Escape the most. We are going back on the Escape in February. Before then, we are trying out our first non-Haven experience in a suite on the Dawn.

I have to agree with this answer. We were originally Loyal to Royal, but had to switch out a 14 day Alaska tour on Royal b/c DS got into graduate school so we only had a 7 day window. Our TA said we should try the Haven (since that would keep the price close to the same). OMG! What a great experience. Mind you, DH is hard of hearing, so much of what we enjoyed was that we could talk/he could hear in the Haven courtyard and the private dining venues. We decided to try Royal in a suite to get a comparison.....whoops, we evidently chose wrong (Majesty OTS) as the service did not hold a candle to what we had experienced on NCL. I did book a Genie class suite, but I have subsequently changed it out for NCL. We have done suites on several ships and Haven on several ships. All had great service and quiet spaces. I just can't convince myself to pay the DEAR prices that RCCL wants for their Genie areas when I can get a known quality service for less (with ALL Free at Sea perks included) on NCL. Of course, NCL is now charging taxes on some items that used to be included with HAVEN, but at the price I'm paying, I really am not too put out......but I am keeping my options open and starting to look at other lines.

Depending upon what you are looking for on your trip.....the Escape had many things to do, so was great for my 20 something son. We enjoyed the Wine lunch show, plus the special show with Brenda Braxton (both cost additional) The regular shows are good, not necessarily great. Didn't make it to Howl at the Moon, which I am sure I would have enjoyed.....so many choices, so little time!

If you are looking for a little more sedate experience, the Jewel class ships still have plenty going on. (yes, we are of an age where we don't have to stay out late to feel like we are having a good time!) They don't have the Haven restaurant, which we enjoyed very much on the Escape. Unfortunately, NCL doesn't have a Chef's Table anymore....we really liked that on RCCL. We still dress up for dinner, but it is nice to have the option to be more casual.....we now leave the tux and formal gowns at home and have gone to sports jackets and long dressy skirts.

Check the prices on both lines. I think you will be hard pressed to get the butler/concierge service on RCCL within the same price line as NCL. But I also agree with other posters....check the ship that fits your personality/desires.

Have a great time.......I think either will give you that!

Sailed in a Haven Aft Suite three times on the Breakaway. Sailed in Royal Suites, Owners Suites, and Grand Suites on RCL. We are Suite People. My DH said after the cruise in FEB in an Owners Suite on RCL..." No more full suites on RCL. They are not worth the money". Nothing extra for being in a suite. We are booked on RCL in 2019 in a junior suite. As my DH says no more full suites on RCL. We think the Haven Aft Suites are the best suites at sea. A close second are the Neptune Suites on Holland America.

I have only sailed in a suite once on both NCL and RCL. I LOVED being in a suite on NCL and I cannot see myself cruising any other way. But on RCL, I felt I paid WAY too much money for what I got.

Thanks for any input!!!!

Jenn

Take a look at the perks. Decide how much you are willing to pay for these perks. Add that to the price of a balcony cabin. Then decide if suite is worth it.

I've been on three NCL cruises. One in a balcony and two in a suite. I have two cruises booked. One in a balcony and one in a suite. I choose the suite when it is worth it to me. I choose a balcony cabin when a suite it not worth it to me.

I have sailed in the Haven on the newer NCL ships (Epic, Escape, Getaway) and have looked hard at Royal's suites.

Have sailed a few times on the Dawn in suites, once on the Breakaway in a Haven Suite. I actually prefer the Dawn with no Haven. The Courtyard Haven area and lounge was way underutilized. No one ever there except for the first day and last day of cruise. We hung out there one afternoon, we were the only ones there. Relaxing... but not the most fun.

When I sailed in non Haven on the Dawn we were treated more so like royalty. Much more personal service. The Suites restaurant is not a dedicated one, at the time it was in Cagney's at breakfast and lunch (now in Moderno). It was great. Our concierge visited us every morning and talked with us. On Breakaway we saw the concierge only the last day of our cruise, though we see his assistants daily at the concierge desk. On Dawn we had a velvet roped off area that suite guest could use to see all the shows in the main theater. By the way, the Dawns theater is IMO much nicer than Breakaway.

I have cruised in suites on both NCL (OS & 2bdrm Penthouse) and Royal (GS), but have yet to try Haven or Sky/Star level on Royal. Given those parameters, IMO, NCL blows Royal out of the water as far as suite perks go. On NCL you are treated like royalty from the time you enter the check in area. On Royal I barely noticed a difference between traveling in a GS and traveling in a ocean view balcony the year before, except for access to the suite/concierge lounge.

We love both lines and just booked 2 CP balcony cabins for almost $4000 less than what it would cost to book one Crown Loft Suite (the sports court view, not the ocean view). As nice as those suites are, the list of Royal's "perks" don't drive me to justify paying that much more. Especially since there is no private courtyard or pool area on the Oasis class ships. Admittedly, I will miss cocktails in the suite lounge but I'll have to cope somehow (maybe they make a service dog for that ;p).