QE2 January 9 Panama Whose coming?

captain_rad

We will enjoy meeting everyone at the Yacht Club on the 9th. We arrive NY on the 8th and will be staying in Times Square at the Residence Inn. Looking forward to beginning our trip with dinner nearby.

We have cruised many times in the past but nothing like the QE2. We're like a couple of kids getting ready to open our gifts on Christmas. We can't wait.

Count 2 more!

Please count me in to meet up with all at the Yacht Club 9.30-10.30pm on 9 Jan. I too (PeterB) am a WC'er S'ton to S'ton (M late sitting).

Leone

Hi Leone - look forward to meeting you. We are still waiting for our cabin to be confirmed as there was a mixup between Cunard and the TA and it is still being sorted out (hopefully)!

Peter

We, too, will be joining you on the micro segment to FLL, after the transatlantic. I am soooo excited that we sail INTO and OUT of NY Harbor on the West Side. Won't be that way next year if they move to Brooklyn. Yuck!!!

I never would have thought about sailing onto FLL. I have an office in NYC and would have just gotten off the transatlantic and gone to the office. But DH did NOT want to end the cruise in cold country. So on to FLL we will go. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Hi Tandemtourer

I understood that the first and last nights on a crossing on the QE2 were informal and the other four, formal. If my memory serves me well, in one of the Cunard brochures I read and have since used as a general guide that the first and last nights of a crossing or cruise are informal; if in port and she sets sail at or before 18:00 informal; sail after 18:00 and it's 'elegant' casual; and, on sea or nautical days, it's formal. Using that rule of thumb on the 20 night Canadian Crossing in Aug/Sep 05 I managed to be off beam on only one evening. I also thought that the first formal night on a crossing/cruise was the Captain's reception for Grill passengers, the second for Caronia and third for Mauretania.....much fun though anticipating and still getting it wrong! My final documents await my return tomorrow from Brisbane to Amsterdam so they may convey different info.

Looking forward to meeting up on the 9th if not beforehand,

Leone (Boxing Day) in Kuala Lumpur

As two who will be crossing WB and then continuing on to Fort Lauderdale we would be most appreciative if you would enlighten us regarding the dress for the first two nights of the World Cruise. (Never received any documents other than final tickets.)

I, too, am wondering the same thing. I think we all have the crossing figured out. The 9th would be disembark/embark for the World Cruise, so I am going to make a guess that it will be informal at best. What time do we sail from NYC? I don't even have final tickets, although I was assured they are "on their way".

I am thinking that those that are going on to FLL will have another Captain's formal on the second day.

The 11th, we have to disembark after our lovely vacation, so no need to worry about dinner dress.

I just added up the formals. OMG, 5 different outfits. My DH is going to hate the luggage situation.

When she gets in New York City on the 9th does anyone know where the ship will be docking? Is she moving to the new Red Hook Pier in Brooklyn or will she still be docking in Manhattan Pier 90 -92 like usual? I've heard a bit of both but I think you guys would know for sure since you are going to be traveling on her.

Thanks

The NY tv stations made a big deal about a Princess ship that sailed into Brooklyn, and the assembled dignataries said the Brooklyn piers would be refurbished and used on a regular basis for Cunard and Princess beginning in April 2006. My TA confirmed that we leave from pier 90 or 91 in Manhattan but will return to Brooklyn. Hope it's better than the current sheds and that Manhattan spruces up their piers so the ships can return to the city.

Would love to meet you all in the Yacht club, but this senior will be fast asleep. Once I'm on the ship, no sleeping aids are needed.

Would love to meet you all in the Yacht club, but this senior will be fast asleep. Once I'm on the ship, no sleeping aids are needed.

We could wake you up. (9:30 - 10:00 PM should not be too late. Please give it a try. Only a few more days. Weather forecast in NYC on Sail away calls for rain with temps. in the low 40's. Typical New York January day. Just hope there is no fog to block the views as we sail down the Hudson.

Have a very Happy New Year. See all of your on the 9th.

Last time I went I was a mere 62, the youngest one at my table. I never went to meals for the first 2 days as I was trying to unpack. We left in a brief snow shower and it was wonderful, saying goodbye to winter and heading towards warmer places. Japan had snow while we were there, but other than that only 2 rainy days. Hope we have the same sunny weather this trip.

We are OUTA HERE!! Well, almost..2nd time thru the "ditch". but 1st for the QE

So...say again?? Yacht Club for Cruise Critic-ites??? Tell us more anyone.Ta-ta.

Yes - The Yacht Club first night out between 9:30 and 10:00. I guess the timing will depend on where and when one is dining and how organized the staff is on first night out. Actually because the voyage begins in Southhapmton, it will be a mixture of newbies and crossing guests in the dining rooms.

I have a scheduled second look at the packing over this weekend to try and winnow down so the suitcases can be properly closed and everything is not crushed. On a 15 day cruise earlier in the year I never wore a number of items that I brought but they seem to have wandered back into the mix again.

Have a Happy New Year's Eve. As I leave for NYC on Saturday for a couple of days precruise snooping, it is now less that a week to cast off from snow country (New Hampshire)

Is everyone packed and ready to go? The Southhampton crowd is off and I am ready to be in New York City.

The pre trip is shaping up nicely with Dinner and the opera at the Met on Saturday. Breakfast at Norma's Sunday morning followed by a visit to the theatre kiosk at Times Square to see what is available for Sunday evening then a tour of the American Folk Art Museum and the Frick Museum followed by High Tea at the Hotel Pierre. Then depending on theatre or not dinner is still an open event. Monday, Zabar's for breakfast and then off to the pier.

On the other end of the trip in addition to the Queen Mary as hotel (thanks to all who suggested that venue) it will be a "Yankee drives the Thruway" with a Tuesday back lot tour of Warner Brothers and a Mexican dinner with family that I have never met in my 66 years. Lots of email over the years but first time in person. Then off on Wednesday by train across the fruited plain to Boston on Sunday the 29th.

On the other end of the trip in addition to the Queen Mary as hotel (thanks to all who suggested that venue) it will be a "Yankee drives the Thruway" with a Tuesday back lot tour of Warner Brothers and a Mexican dinner with family that I have never met in my 66 years. Lots of email over the years but first time in person. Then off on Wednesday by train across the fruited plain to Boston on Sunday the 29th.

Since you are going home on the train, I am assuming that you will be leaving from the Los Angeles Station downtown. If so I would like to make one more suggestion for your trip. Get to the train station a couple of hours early and walk across the street to Olvera street. It is a small street about a two blocks long with great authentic Mexican restaurants and stores.;)

Since you are going home on the train, I am assuming that you will be leaving from the Los Angeles Station downtown. If so I would like to make one more suggestion for your trip. Get to the train station a couple of hours early and walk across the street to Olvera street. It is a small street about a two blocks long with great authentic Mexican restaurants and stores.;)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

AttN: Pleasant Prospects-My TA said when we return on QM2 we will be docking in Brooklyn at Red Hook, and so that's where I expected to be picked up by the car service. There were som other posts concerning Red Hook on this Board. I believe one person said her cruise would arrive at Red Hook on 4/15 and was the first one scheduled on QM2 to dock there.

Your posting gave me another good reason to check again and to be sure to keep the car service number handy.

Not long now folks. It snowed again here in New Hampshire. Can't wait to get out for the rest of January. Of course when I return, it may take me most of the day to shovel back into the driveway.One more day and I leave for NYC.

My wife and I were looking forward to sailing on the 9th and seeing the Canal. We were all packed, reservations for hotels and transportation were all confirmed. We were ready. Then the phone rang. Cunard needed our room and made us an offer that we couldn't pass up. Change our cruise to the second segment, LA-Sydney leaving Jan 23. Upgrade from M1 to P2, and no extra charge.:D

We hope everyone had a wonderful cruise through the canal.

R&J

Archived