Norovirus Westerdam June 2017

CruisingMike

The norovirus is spread via contaminated surfaces as well as other means, so a ship can make people ill.

igraf

The SHIP isn't making anyone ill...other passengers carry the virus. ....

I always thought it was strange they closed the pools when chlorine kills the virus :)

Joking aside Wet Ones contain .30% benzethonium chloride which kills the virus. We carry them with us and use them on our airplane seats, tables, seat belts, hotel room, and stateroom. The Purell on board kills bacterial but not virus.

disembarked in Rome on sat from an amazing 36 days cruise on Westerdam ( i`l doo my best to write a review, just need some time )

so about norovirus ( my wife and myself where safe ) - we had the alert twice: 1st was after we left spanish coast and lasted for about a week, second was about 3 days or so before we disembark in Rome.

my own opinion is that the ship is far from being clean, my wife would go a bit furter and say actually it was dusty overall, especially open spaces on deck 9.

so we wasnt surprised at all - she is medical employee so she know something about hygiene and viruses :-)

i come to conclusion that European ppl and fellow American passengers have a totally different understanding about what is a clean cruise ship .

we have been on Costa Magica for 2 weeks and situation was really different - so i just compare and the result is not in favor of the Westerdam .

anyway, to ppl on board: have a great time and stay healthy

Neither Lysol (over the counter) wipes nor sanitizer has any effect on Noro. Only a bleach solution can kill it.

A bleach solution works, but Clorox Hydrogen Peroxide cleaners work fine, too...without the stink. You can get a cylinder of the wet wipes on Amazon for a little more than the cost of an on-board bar drink, and they pack just fine into zip-lock baggies.

I've heard no other reports of GI problems on Oosterdam recently.

Good to hear.. :)

GI problems aren't always Norovirus.

Very true.

I;ve seen many come down with GI issues after giving the Signature Beverage package a good workout.

As have I... good one Frank! ;)

I just got off the Oosterdam this morning! There were norovirus warnings when we got on the ship and we were a little nervous. But we had a fabulous time and no one in our party got sick. They have Purell stations all over the place. If you can, order some Zylast and use it to prevent illness.

I just got off the Oosterdam this morning! There were norovirus warnings when we got on the ship and we were a little nervous. But we had a fabulous time and no one in our party got sick. They have Purell stations all over the place. If you can, order some Zylast and use it to prevent illness.

Was the ship in code red (no salt or pepper, no bread baskets, pools closed)? Did you get a warning email before you boarded?

Was the ship in code red (no salt or pepper, no bread baskets, pools closed)? Did you get a warning email before you boarded?

I don't know if it was a code red but we were handed a letter when we embarked saying that the ship had a norovirus outbreak the previous week. The hot tubs were closed, there were no bread baskets, salt/pepper, butter, etc. And there were constant warnings about hand washing.

Yes. We didn't hear of anyone getting sick. To be safe we chose to stay away from the Lido deck/pool. We ate in our room, in the dining room and in the Pinnacle Grill.

We eat in PG every night- love it. Any server recommendations?

We eat in PG every night- love it. Any server recommendations?

All the PG servers were fabulous. I have zero complaints there.

We also had breakfast there nearly every morning. The orange juice is freshly squeezed and delicious.

I highly recommend the Rudi's Sel de Mer evening. The lobster was out of this world! And the profiteroles are a must. Every other night it was delicious at the PG but the Sel del Mer was beyond amazing.

Every night, the PG evening coffee was french pressed and delicious. I highly recommend it. Great restaurant...far superior to the dining room.

Yes. We didn't hear of anyone getting sick. To be safe we chose to stay away from the Lido deck/pool. We ate in our room, in the dining room and in the Pinnacle Grill.

Did salt, pepper, bread re-appear on tables? If so it was contained and over. I'm sure there was a deep clean in Vancouver before you boarded.

Frank, let's hope Oosterdam is able to get a handle on this before our sailing in just a couple of months.(yn)

Per the last reply all good now on Oosterdam. It must have been very small outbreak as it didn't show up on CDC. I'm sure the ship told pax it was a GI issue as it could have had many causes including food. I remember a cruise that people had GI issues and "mysteriously" all of the salad on board disappeared then re-appeared at the next port.