Need help picking cruise itinerary for Aug 2018!

Shiena

I'm looking to book a 7 day cruise to Alaska next August. It will be my bf and i (31/27) and i'm having a hard time deciding on a cruise line. We have sailed before on Carnival and Celebrity. Open to trying a new line but i want the best times in port for excursions. I know i want to do the round trip from Seattle. I have found two i like but was wondering if one has better port times then the other?

1Seattle--04:00 PM2Cruising----3Ketchikan06:30 AM03:00 PM4Tracy Arm05:00 AM09:00 AM4Juneau12:30 PM10:00 PM5Skagway06:00 AM05:00 PM6Cruising----7Victoria07:00 PM11:59 PM8Seattle07:00 AM--

DayPort of CallArrivalDeparture1Seattle--04:00 PM2Cruising----3Cruise Inside Passage----3Juneau12:00 PM09:00 PM4Skagway07:00 AM08:30 PM5Tracy Arm07:00 AM12:00 PM6Cruising----7Victoria09:00 AM06:00 PM8Seattle06:00 AM--

The first one is with Emerald Princess and the second with Explorer of the Seas. The first one doesn't have great time in Victoria. However, i was reading great reviews on Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Catamaran Excursion Right off the Ship. What are the time requirements for this excursion? Also, is Tracy Arm Fjord better then Glacier Bay?

Neither is a good itinerary. The first has short port times, the second skips Ketchikan. Glacier Bay is preferable. Check Holland America line's round trip sailings from Vancouver. You may have better luck there.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Explorer of the Seas is the weaker of the two.

I am in the camp that prefers Glacier Bay for a cruise ship. Tracy Arm can be hit and miss but you are more likely to see it in August compared to earlier in the season.

I think there are better itineraries out there.

If you do go on the cruise with Tracy Arm, make sure the ship has the small boat excursion and plan on purchasing that (not a cheap excursion).

Do you have a strong desire to see Buchart Gardens or something else in Victoria at the expense of spending time in Alaska? Explorer of the Seas provides the ability to do that but you get 2 Alaska ports instead of 3 and you don't have an opportunity to take the Tracy Arm excursion.

If you want the best times in port, take a look at the cruises from Vancouver to at least see what you are giving up when you leave from Seattle. If you want to fly into Seattle (or find it cheaper to do so), you can get from Seattle to Vancouver by land various ways (train, rental car and, I think, bus or something)

However, i was reading great reviews on Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer Catamaran Excursion Right off the Ship. What are the time requirements for this excursion? Choosing a cruise line/itinerary that offers it. (We did it from HAL Volendam & loved it.) It will say "service call" or something similar on the website to denote that the ship stops for passengers on the excursion to off load onto the catamaran._

Also, is Tracy Arm Fjord better then Glacier Bay?

Better is subjective. I say, "No."

"Different" is how I describe it.

Also on Volendam, we had a day of sailing Glacier Bay.

The perspective is different. On the cruise ship you the equivalent of several "floors" about the water line. On the catamaran, you are much closer to the water.

One final thought, Glacier bay is guaranteed glacier viewing. Tracy Arm can be missed as can Hubbard.