Fixed dining and tables for 2

Presto2

Can't believe we are asking this, but we are considering using fixed dining for the next booking.

We have always used freedom dining in the past on all other cruises, but have found ourselves wanting the same staff each night and having requested a certain table we now end up waiting ages and eating at about 8.15pm anyway.

We prefer to eat late so would go down at about 7.45pm anyway and are not interested in the shows.

Just wondering if there are any tables for 2 on fixed dining on Oceana, Ventura or Britannia.

How does eating in a select dining restaurant work with this dining arrangement?

If we decided not to go down for the meal at the last minute is this ok? Do we just let them know out of courtesy?

If you don't like the table allocated, what do you do?

It is probably going to be our 25th Anniversary cruise so want to get this one right!

Just wondering

Thanks

P.S. We always book really early

There are tables for two which you can ask for when you are booking but they are not guaranteed as the sitting is.

With regard to not going one night a quick phone call to the restaurant will be fine.

As we always ask for a table for 8 we generally get what we want. We both enjoy getting to meet with our fellow diners.

You may be better staying where you are if your main objective is to get a table for 2.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Presto, congrats on the anniversary! There are a few tables for two but not that many, we have had tables for two but always seem to end up hooking up with the table next to us. I think if I were booking fixed dining I'd go for a six, it's big enough to have mixed conversation but not so big you end up talking in two sets of four. Also as we dine in select a lot it means we won't be leaving a couple who wanted company, on their own if we book a table for four - which happened once and I felt very guilty. We normally tell them our plans for the next day at dinner but if we changed our mind at the last minute I would endeavour to tell them - although these days the messages often don't get to the table. If you book select you just go, you don't have to do anything as such. I've noticed with freedom on Arcadia a massive queue starts forming at 6pm or earlier, this pretty much fills the restaurant so you can't get a table until they begin to vacate, so in some ways this correlates to a first and second sitting time anyway. I am hoping that people will use freedom at more varied times on Britannia. If you don't like your table guests you can ask to be moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are tables for two which you can ask for when you are booking but they are not guaranteed as the sitting is.

With regard to not going one night a quick phone call to the restaurant will be fine.

As we always ask for a table for 8 we generally get what we want. We both enjoy getting to meet with our fellow diners.

You may be better staying where you are if your main objective is to get a table for 2.

We always book really early (18 months). If we book for fixed and are not happy can we change on the ship. I suppose our objective is to have the same crew as well as we love to get to know the staff and it means that we can definitely give them a 'thank you' on the last night.

For a number of reasons we prefer to stay with the 2 of us --- though I would say that we tend to chat to those around us anyway on the ship. Really do not want to feel that we have to be up for evening conversation every evening with others and worry that the people we end up with are annoying. (Been there and done that !)

Thanks for any advice Dai

If you don't like your table guests you can ask to be moved.

We had to do this on a coach holiday but we hated it and felt terrible. Don't like to upset people and hurt their feelings :-(

Thanks for the congratulations --- it will be 2019 :-) You know us, we always plan welllll in advance !

We always book really early (18 months). If we book for fixed and are not happy can we change on the ship. I suppose our objective is to have the same crew as well as we love to get to know the staff and it means that we can definitely give them a 'thank you' on the last night.

For a number of reasons we prefer to stay with the 2 of us --- though I would say that we tend to chat to those around us anyway on the ship. Really do not want to feel that we have to be up for evening conversation every evening with others and worry that the people we end up with are annoying. (Been there and done that !)

Thanks for any advice Dai

We must be lucky as we have had all good tables on all our cruises but I understand that it does not suit everyone. Even booking on day one of booking does not guarantee the size of table so I suppose you could try to change on the ship but I feel you may be better just going for freedom to start with.

I am hoping that people will use freedom at more varied times on Britannia. If you don't like your table guests you can ask to be moved.

Are you doing freedom on Britannia? We've just come back and the bloke in charge of our restaurant was amazing and it worked brilliantly ;-)

Presto2, I fear you may not be able to get to know the staff. I don't know whether it's because they are spread more thinly and so have less time, whether it's their individual personalities, or other factors, but on our last 2 cruises we have tried to get to know our waiters and made very little headway. We are friendly, sociable and polite. On our last cruise, on Britannia, both our waiters were pleasant, polite and fairly efficient, but despite attempts by us to make a little polite conversation, they really didn't want to know. I had to prise his name out of one of them, just so I could say "Excuse me, X, could I have some more water/another bread roll" or whatever. Also, after two weeks, they were still offering me the bread when I refused it every day, and bringing me coffee after dinner, rather tea, which I also had every day. OPs have said here about waiters learning their preferences and acting on them - I've never yet experienced that. This is one of the reasons we've opted for Freedom dining this year.

Presto2, I fear you may not be able to get to know the staff. I don't know whether it's because they are spread more thinly and so have less time, whether it's their individual personalities, or other factors, but on our last 2 cruises we have tried to get to know our waiters and made very little headway. We are friendly, sociable and polite. On our last cruise, on Britannia, both our waiters were pleasant, polite and fairly efficient, but despite attempts by us to make a little polite conversation, they really didn't want to know. I had to prise his name out of one of them, just so I could say "Excuse me, X, could I have some more water/another bread roll" or whatever. Also, after two weeks, they were still offering me the bread when I refused it every day, and bringing me coffee after dinner, rather tea, which I also had every day. OPs have said here about waiters learning their preferences and acting on them - I've never yet experienced that. This is one of the reasons we've opted for Freedom dining this year.

Am totally surprised as we met a crew member we had met on Britannia in 2015 and he remembered us from that cruise. It was lovely to meet up again. That was on freedom dining.

Similarly, last year on Oceana we met someone who had served wine on Britannia in Oceana. It was lovely to meet up again. Am just hoping that they remember us for good reasons !!!!!

On our cruises in Freedom Dining we have asked for the same table (and waited) and the staff have always remembered us and what we wanted...

We've had a table for 2 allocated on both Ventura and Oceana. Waiters have always been superb. There is always the option to talk to others in the restaurants if you want to (sometimes it's quite nice not to have to!!)

We've had a table for 2 allocated on both Ventura and Oceana. Waiters have always been superb. There is always the option to talk to others in the restaurants if you want to (sometimes it's quite nice not to have to!!)

Great, do you book early for this?

Are you doing freedom on Britannia? We've just come back and the bloke in charge of our restaurant was amazing and it worked brilliantly ;-)

Yes, we sail on 30th Sept to Portugal and Canaries. Based on your experience Freedom sounds promising. I'm not too worried as there are so many eateries. Can't wait! I keep saying I will start my pre-cruise diet soon but can't seem to get motivated!

Ventura we have never had an issue with Traditional Dining 2nd seating getting a table for 2. We have been allocated a couple of times a larger table but a request to the maitre d normally sorts this out prior to dinner.

Oceana we swapped to Freedom very few tables for 2

We have always booked fixed dining, table for 6, 8.30. Apart from one minor hiccup, this has always worked fine until on Azura in May this year. As usual we booked a table for 6. First night a couple arrived and we waited for the third couple, no-one else turned up. No problem, lots of people take the opportunity of reduced prices in the speciality restaurants on the first night. The couple were very nice but the lady was asleep by the time the main course arrived and her husband kept nudging her to keep awake. Again, no problem, we all had a tiring day. Second day, exactly the same situation. By this time I was a bit disappointed, in effect only 3 of us on a table for 6. Third night, same again. Next to us was a table for eight, only four turned up. They queried this with the waiters who could not give an explanation. I spoke to the people on the table for eight and we agreed that the best solution was for us to combine the two tables. We asked if we could do this and were told we couldn't as our table for 6 had only 4 people allocated to it but the table for 8 had 6 allocated and the other 2 may turn up at some point. After some slightly heated discussion with the restaurant manager, we were allowed to combine the two tables. The rest of the evenings were brilliant, we had great fun, the lady continued to sleep through most meals but her husband enjoyed the buzz around the table. The mystery couple never turned up! The waiters were really pleased about the outcome and they helped make every evening a brilliant experience, we had so many laughs with them. Whatever you decide, just make sure you get what asked for and I'm sure you will enjoy.

We have done over 20 cruises now and always asked for a table of 8 and apart from one cruise it has always worked out tremendously well. The exception was when we booked very late - unusual for us - and we ended up with a table of 6. The problem with this was that the other four were travelling together, and it was one of the couples first cruise. The wife made it clear she hated everything about the ship - Aurora - the food, the crew, you mention it according to her it was dreadful! Their friends were very embarrassed. We never knew if the couple were going to turn up to dinner or not - on the second evening, it was only a three night cruise, she had told her friends they wouldn't be coming to dinner because the menu looked disgusting. So we were enjoying the company of the other two, chatting and eating our starters when said couple turned up. Apparently the menu in the other restaurant, can't remember which one it would have been, before the refit, was even more disgusting!

Had we been on a longer cruise we would certainly have asked to change tables but this has never happened to us on the rest of the P&O cruises. On one occasion the Restaurant Manager was really kind. One couple of the 8 turned up the first night but not after that. So there were 6 of us on a table for 8 which makes chatting rather difficult. There was a table nearby that wasn't used, a table for 6. We asked the Restaurant Manager if we could move to that table. He said he would check it out for us and we did then move. He even allowed our two waiters who were brilliant, to carry on serving us even though it wasn't in their section, they were quite happy and so were we.

I emphasise that the problem we had on the table for 6 was really the only time we've had a problem. It would make me avoid a table of 6 when booking. We'll stick to our table of 8, which we have on our next two cruises. We are still in contact with several couples that we've met over the years.

Am totally surprised as we met a crew member we had met on Britannia in 2015 and he remembered us from that cruise. It was lovely to meet up again. That was on freedom dining.

Similarly, last year on Oceana we met someone who had served wine on Britannia in Oceana. It was lovely to meet up again. Am just hoping that they remember us for good reasons !!!!!

On our cruises in Freedom Dining we have asked for the same table (and waited) and the staff have always remembered us and what we wanted...

Isn't it funny? Just goes to show what different experiences people have on the same ships and with the same line. Who knows, this year may be completely different.

I've booked fixed dining for my cruise in September- first sitting and a table for 6. It's my first cruise, I'm travelling solo and I didn't want to be lonely so thought 6 might be a nice number.

I've now realised I could well be with 2 couples and be the odd one on her own. Anyone got any experience of this? Am going on Azura.

Isn't it funny? Just goes to show what different experiences people have on the same ships and with the same line. Who knows, this year may be completely different.

We rarely go on a P&O ship without meeting staff who have served us before. It's one of the pleasures of cruising.

Last Fred Cruise we did, we booked Table for 8/6 We ended up just us three and one guy. He was not very communicative. So it was looking dire until we met another couple who didn't like their table and moved to ours. Before this we have always had brilliant tables for 8, great fun.

I've booked fixed dining for my cruise in September- first sitting and a table for 6. It's my first cruise, I'm travelling solo and I didn't want to be lonely so thought 6 might be a nice number.

I've now realised I could well be with 2 couples and be the odd one on her own. Anyone got any experience of this? Am going on Azura.

I have a feeling that they tend to group solo passengers together. Hopefully someone else can confirm. Regardless, you will have a fabulous time. Your first cruise is usually your best! Prepare to get hooked.

On our first half a dozen cruises we did Club dining, both first and second sitting. Initially we had great table companions, but after 3 cruises in a row where, for entirely different reasons, we didn't enjoy the company as much, we made the switch to Freedom dining. Keep in mind that if a table for two is important to you, Freedom Dining is the only way to guarantee it. You just have to be prepared to wait for one to become available.

Hello Presto2

So far we have had no issues getting able for 2 fixed dining we prefer 8.30 but we tend to

Book 12/18 months ahead hoping this helps guarantees us our choice if we have a booking for Sindhu or Lime lounge out of courtesy we tell our wait staff we will not be in the following evening, saying that our daughter booked 6 weeks saver fare for Caribbean and were keen to have table for two and 2nd sitting they got their first choice I think many prefer 1st sitting as they can get to see many more shows on ship on a evening and get a early seat in a venue, if your request is not meet pop down to your allocated restaurant on the day you board I hear they are very open to changing table size etc

Mrs Blue Sky

We prefer second sitting on a large table, but never seem to be allocated the correct time.

We just go to the restaurant before it opens on our first evening and request a change. We have always been given our choice and always had very nice dining companions.