Just a small piece of advice please....

shot2bits

If I didn't want them to dress 'formal' I wouldn't cruise P & O or Cunard.

If people don't want to do this then cruise with someone else - simple.

If it is dumbed down too much then I think P & O will start to lose some regulars.

I have to admit I don't get people booking a cruise knowing what is expected then moan like hell about it - makes no sense to me at all.

You have hit the nail on its head.

Don't buy something then claim you didn't know what you were getting.

We love formal nights on P&O.

You have hit the nail on its head.

Don't buy something then claim you didn't know what you were getting.

We love formal nights on P&O.

My brother is a regular cruiser and always cruises Cunard - I don't have as much money as he does but love the 'dressing up' on P & O.

I hate dressing up in my day to day life but on a cruise it is just so special and I love seeing everyone else has made an effort.

I would hate to be on a cruise where shorts etc no matter how tailored they are were worn to the evening meal, don't get me wrong they can look very smart but there is a time and place.

Sorry if I sound like a dinosaur but this is how I feel.

I am already planning my wardrobe for my cruise later this year when I get the go ahead from the surgeon.

I just have to start this blooming diet! :D

My brother is a regular cruiser and always cruises Cunard - I don't have as much money as he does but love the 'dressing up' on P & O.

I hate dressing up in my day to day life but on a cruise it is just so special and I love seeing everyone else has made an effort.

I would hate to be on a cruise where shorts etc no matter how tailored they are were worn to the evening meal, don't get me wrong they can look very smart but there is a time and place.

Sorry if I sound like a dinosaur but this is how I feel.

I am already planning my wardrobe for my cruise later this year when I get the go ahead from the surgeon.

I just have to start this blooming diet! :D

I think the majority of P&O cruisers feel the same way.

It is the American cruise lines cruisers who are obsessed with casual at all times.

A few years ago I was on holiday in Samoa and a New Zealand lady made some comment to me about European people like dressing up for evening meal. It did take me a few minutes to realise she was talking about me being European. ;p

She changed her bathing costume about 4 times a day and made up her face to go by the pool and then dressed casual for evening meal.

I used to get out of bed, wash my face, brushed my teeth and put on my swimming costume and then straight to the pool, all done in 5 minutes. I did enjoy spending time over a drink getting ready to go out for the evening meal.

Maybe it is a cultural thing but at least so far P & O provide the product I want.

I think formal nights are gradually being dumbed down now. Many lines are switching to 'dress to impress' or ' smart chic' etc. Some lines don't bother at all. I wonder what the general feeling is on here - a good thing or bad?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is a terrible shame is what it is.

When we first started cruising everyone dressed up for formal nights. It was extremely unusual to see anyone not dressed properly.

Everything nowadays is being 'dumbed down', and it is not a good thing.

If I didn't want them to dress 'formal' I wouldn't cruise P & O or Cunard.

If it is dumbed down too much then I think P & O will start to lose some regulars.

I have to admit I don't get people booking a cruise knowing what is expected then moan like hell about it - makes no sense to me at all.

As long as those people are compliant with the dress code and stay away from the formal venues they have every right to cruise with P&O. The ships are large enough to accommodate them.

.....makes no sense to me at all.

Totally agree with you. There are certainly more cruise lines that do not have a formal dress code that people who do not like wearing formal wear can go on.

Doesn't make sense to me either!

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

As long as those people are compliant with the dress code and stay away from the formal venues they have every right to cruise with P&O. The ships are large enough to accommodate them.

Yes they do but they shouldn't moan about the formal nights just because they don't want to dress up.

Personally I think those who don't dress up look the odd ones out no one else.

I get the feeling you wish to argue about this - I don't! I just made a point so forgive me if I have no interest in responding to you on this subject again.

Happy cruising.

It is a terrible shame is what it is.

When we first started cruising everyone dressed up for formal nights. It was extremely unusual to see anyone not dressed properly.

Everything nowadays is being 'dumbed down', and it is not a good thing.

It is if you decide to have the casual cruise experience and P&O agree because they provide for this on their ships. I don't mind how people dress as long as they are clean and not scruffy. What I don't like is to be told to 'go away' to another cruise line and I might suggest they 'go away' to Cunard. Carnival would be delighted for them to do so.

ps - I will be dressed casual on Azura next week :eek::eek::eek:

Quite right. Not everyone wants to dress formally on holiday. Hence why they have certain areas of the ship with the dress code and others without. Formal venues for those who like it and non-formal venues for those who don't. Easy peasy. :)

Quite right. Not everyone wants to dress formally on holiday. Hence why they have certain areas of the ship with the dress code and others without. Formal venues for those who like it and non-formal venues for those who don't. Easy peasy. :)

I think when you have 2 formal nights and 5 casual nights on a 7 night cruise you are accomadating everyone to dress for the respective nights.

Just wear whatever you are comfortable in, sticking to the rules for formal night that is. Personally I think that looking like James Bond in a white jeacket is always a winner.

Sadly, I don't think that a white jacket would be enough to make me look like James Bond. :)

I think it depends on the cruise line and where you are sailing from. P&O cruises seem to have a higher proportion of passengers adhering to the formal night dress code than most other similar standard cruise lines. However even Princess, RCI and Celebrity cruises out of Southampton do still seem to follow the formal dress code, even though Celebrity have now renamed it Evening Chic.

My tuxedo, or DJ if you prefer, is fairly lightweight and crease resistant so is easy to pack, and personally I quite like wearing it for change, but I think maybe 4 formal nights on a 4 week cruise is 1 too many.

Totally agree with you. We have 5 on our 17 nighter :eek:

I think P&O get it about right; two in seven nights seems ok, four in fourteen perhaps starts to push it a bit.

As a man who can just throw the same thing on for each formal nigh,t it doesn't make too much difference for me, but I can see how having numerous formal nights could be an annoyance for some female passengers who don't feel they could reuse the same outfit.

What P&O do do well though, is make sure there are a selection of venues that continue to allow people in on formal night, even if they have chosen not to dress up. Whilst the choice is obviously a bit limited, there's no need to feel you have to hide in your cabin, just because you don't want to put a suit on.

The problem is some people seem to think the areas where formal wear is required is larger than it is.

Speaking just for myself, 4 formal nights on a two week cruise is fine. I have just found really lightweight luggage, almost 2kg lighter than my previous luggage. No problem with the weight of 4 evening dresses now, yippee.

Speaking just for myself, 4 formal nights on a two week cruise is fine. I have just found really lightweight luggage, almost 2kg lighter than my previous luggage. No problem with the weight of 4 evening dresses now, yippee.

Clearly, you haven't met the present mrs S2B. I need at least one additional case for her shoes alone. As for make up, sun screen, various chemicals for cleansing, defoliating (whatever that is) and Pre sun, after sun, in between sun, I can't keep up. We go on holiday and it's like a fleet of Eddie Stobart lorries going down the M3. Can't help loving her though!

Clearly, you haven't met the present mrs S2B. I need at least one additional case for her shoes alone. As for make up, sun screen, various chemicals for cleansing, defoliating (whatever that is) and Pre sun, after sun, in between sun, I can't keep up. We go on holiday and it's like a fleet of Eddie Stobart lorries going down the M3. Can't help loving her though!

I don't know what it is about shoes....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums