Bringing a drone in baggage?

uilleann

We have an upcoming cruise on Cunard. I was planning on using the drone that I have for personal use video of some of the sites on the trip, off the ship. In addition we will be renting a home in Portugal as the last part of the trip and I wanted to use it there as well. Note that I abide by all countries' regulations on drones. In addition the drone, a DJI Mavic, has software in it that will not allow me to fly in areas where it is prohibited.

But.... I just saw that in the unallowed items in baggage drones are listed.

Here is the question. I think the main concern by Cunard is that I not fly the drone from or near the ship. Do you think that they might hold the drone for me, so that it will not be used, and then release it to me at disembarkation so that I could at least use it in Portugal?

Thanks for the advice but I am not only an ex-pilot but also a very experienced drone pilot. I have access to the uav regs for all of the countries I plan to visit AND I am in contact with other drone flyers in those countries. What I do not know is how flexible Cunard is in transporting my drone without giving me access to it till disembarkation.

Thanks for the advice but I am not only an ex-pilot but also a very experienced drone pilot. I have access to the uav regs for all of the countries I plan to visit AND I am in contact with other drone flyers in those countries. What I do not know is how flexible Cunard is in transporting my drone without giving me access to it till disembarkation.

Hi ulilleann. Being as experienced as you are, no doubt you know that by contacting Cunard directly, you will get a direct answer :)

Of course, even the neophytes amongst us know that security measures seem to be in a state of flux. So while drones might be acceptable one day, the next day a person possessing one can be held for questioning if a drone was implicated in an illegal act. Hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't risk pack a drone for overseas travel.

Bottom line, you know you need to contact Cunard about your drone. And you also know that whatever answer you get today might be different tomorrow. Sadly, that is the story - which is why I agree with Kamloops - leave the drone at home and enjoy your holiday.

Salacia

Hi ulilleann. Being as experienced as you are, no doubt you know that by contacting Cunard directly, you will get a direct answer :)

Of course, even the neophytes amongst us know that security measures seem to be in a state of flux. So while drones might be acceptable one day, the next day a person possessing one can be held for questioning if a drone was implicated in an illegal act. Hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't risk pack a drone for overseas travel.

Bottom line, you know you need to contact Cunard about your drone. And you also know that whatever answer you get today might be different tomorrow. Sadly, that is the story - which is why I agree with Kamloops - leave the drone at home and enjoy your holiday.

Salacia

thanks, I have sent an email and am waiting for a reply and will follow up with a call if necessary.

I used to travel with a lot of camera equipment and that added a lot to the fun of a trip. The drone now does that for me. So why drop some of my fun on a trip? its a new paradyme in photography. Most people are afraid of things the do not understand and that is what is going on these days. People have been flying RC hobby aircraft since the 1950s and before. And for the past 20 years or more RC helicopters. Nobody worried about them. So. I am off subject here but I find dronephobia annoying.

Perhaps you could send the drone by DHL etc. to Portugal.
This would seem to me to be the logical and far less involved with red-tape, "rules and regs", 'phone calls, emails, searches, possible confiscation by Cunard or customs authorities etc... solution.

Simples. Avoids all the hassle. There you go uilleann, as you don't intend to use it until you reach Portugal, there is no need to import it yourself by ship.

Enjoy your cruise :) .