Is the non refundable deposit program ON?

To me, this is just like Carnival's policy of charging more for the cruise unless you book the lower price offer with restrictions. I went online yesterday to book cruise for January 2019 and the balcony cabin we always try for had both non refundable and refundable deposit. I did not book it, we might try another cruise line in 2019 because life is uncertain especially that far in advance, and to pay more even booking this far out irks me..

I booked my cruise on line as well for Aug. 2018. Paid $100 deposit per stateroom. Yesterday I saw a price drop for the NRD option and called RCL. The agent told me that if I go for the adjustment, I will be subject to penalty of $250 per person if I make changes or cancel. To me, this is a huge bogus and a trick beyond any sales tactics. It's a way to keep people from the adjustments even if your cruise is more than a year away.

The agent told me that if I go for the adjustment, I will be subject to penalty of $250 per person if I make changes or cancel.

Kinda hard to get that kind of penalty when you only have $100 in deposit. It is not unusual for an agent to give out wrong info like this.

Kinda hard to get that kind of penalty when you only have $100 in deposit. It is not unusual for an agent to give out wrong info like this.
Every other post on the penalty has had it at $100 per person. I would call and get another agent and see if the penalty is $250 or $100 per person.

Сorrection. I just reread my post and realized that I said I booked on line, but in actuality I booked while on a cruise. That's why my deposit was only $100 per cabin. Now I was told that if the adjustment is made to the lower price under this promotion, then it's subject to penalty of $250 per person. It's just very strange because how can they penalize me for more money than I paid? Also, I was told that it is their new strategy. They will show two prices from now on: one with refundable deposit and one without. So, if my price drops under the refundable option, they will adjust an no penalty applies.

Сorrection. I just reread my post and realized that I said I booked on line, but in actuality I booked while on a cruise. That's why my deposit was only $100 per cabin. Now I was told that if the adjustment is made to the lower price under this promotion, then it's subject to penalty of $250 per person. It's just very strange because how can they penalize me for more money than I paid? Also, I was told that it is their new strategy. They will show two prices from now on: one with refundable deposit and one without. So, if my price drops under the refundable option, they will adjust an no penalty applies.

I booked onboard with a $200 deposit last month (longer Alaska cruisetour). When I took a price drop plus an extra $100 OBC by switching to NRD the other day, I was assured my deposit would remain at $200 and the penalty for cancelling or switching date/boat would be the $100pp most everyone has mentioned.

I believe you've been given incorrect info & would call back to ask.