Internet query

Hi all

We are on the Rhapsody for a 7 night cruise in September and I am looking at the internet packages. I believe from other postings that there is no “low user” package and you have to buy 24 hours cover for around $20 (may have the amount wrong).

On my cruise personaliser I can currently buy internet for the whole cruise at £11.08 per day = £77.56 for the cruise (around $100). This is said to be a discounted rate to buying it onboard.

That price is for one device which is all I need – my iPhone. Although I will not be streaming videos etc I will wish to check emails and send texts etc.

Pardon my ignorance on technical matters but will I be able to use WApp and therefore also be able to send pictures/texts free of any other charge from my network in addition to checking emails?

Any comments on this and the quality of service I can anticipate would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance for any help to this not very technically minded cruiser!!

Kind regards.

Peter

Yes that is correct you will be able to send txt/pics via WApp using the WiFi. I would suggest putting the phone into flight mode and just turn on the WiFi to make sure that no network charges are made. We were on Rhapsody in April and found the connection was OK but could sometimes be a problem to connect to especially in the Schooner bar.

Depending on how often you need to check emails etc you may find it cheaper just to wait until you are off the ship. Most cafe's have free internet and also some areas where you will be berthed. Just watch where crew members are sitting on their phones.

On my cruise personaliser I can currently buy internet for the whole cruise at £11.08 per day = £77.56 for the cruise (around $100). This is said to be a discounted rate to buying it onboard.

Yes, but you also have the Surf package on board (not available pre cruise) which is even cheaper. Also, on board you can buy a remaining days package, which is not available pre cruise.

Thank you for the helpful replies. I was interested in Biker19's comment about Surf being cheaper to buy onboard. The cruise personaliser offering the prices I quoted in my original posting say they are 20% cheaper than onboard?

Can anyone assist further please with comments whether it is best to wait or to buy in advance. My query is more out of interest as the money involved is not huge either way just that being able to buy cheaper on the cruise is contrary to what the current offer says.

Thanks again.

I was interested in Biker19's comment about Surf being cheaper to buy onboard. The cruise personaliser offering the prices I quoted in my original posting say they are 20% cheaper than onboard?

Surf on board is cheaper than Stream pre-cruise, but is not available to buy online pre cruise.

The prices as of today (not including any other sales) - Stream pre cruise $14.40, Surf on board $13, Stream on board $18.