Crown Princess unscheduled stop in Dover!

ojjyb

I feel very sorry for all concerned - the poor passenger who had a medical situation (someone said a broken back, is this certain?) , !

That's what was stated on Dover Marina.com Facebook pages.

Hi back again, I posted the original up date.

Yes we've heard rumours of a fall in the toilet/shower and that someone had broken their back hence the divertion to Dover.

Yes we missed Stavanger, but that was all forgotten by the time we reached Skjolden... Beautiful weather and a beautiful Port.. We seem to have picked up our missing captain as well.. Martin Stenzel is back in charge.. Must have boarded today as well (previously the captain was Justin someone).

Unfortunate that we missed Stavanger, but like many have said, these things happen and we just get on with out trip.. And we're loving it.

On to Olden tomorrow and Bergen on Thursday.

Sent from my F5321 using Forums mobile app

We seem to have picked up our missing captain as well.. Martin Stenzel is back in charge.. Must have boarded today as well (previously the captain was Justin someone).

The previous Captain that you are referring to was Captain Justin Lawes.

Am pretty surprised Princess did not notify the embarking passengers that the ship was going to miss the port. That's pretty bad. Medical emergencies happen. I get it. That's a shared risk. But sending out a message in that situation should be standard practice.

I won't boycott Princess but I appreciate the words of warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree!

1) Welcome to Cruise Critic.

2) your first post is a suggestion to never cruise Princess, while you are on the Princess Boards...on your first day joining no less (I can tell as it is July first, and your join date is July 2017) ...juevos of steel, or brass at least, so pardon if we aren't all joining your boycott brigade. :p

3) Most insurance is worth far more than just the get-you-to-the-next-port cost. For example, if you have to cancel, it can be worth thousands. :)

From what company did you purchase your insurance?? $500 does not even cover the cost of the cruise. How could you be so naive. Obviously, did not read all the policy BEFORE you got on the airplane to the port you thought you were getting on. Things happen. WE have to be responsible for our own traveling.

On a more serious note Mark, I'm very sorry you've had this bad experience and hope you managed to get on board and enjoy some of the cruise, the weather was fabulous!

I think some of the responses have been a bit harsh but I do agree that it's very poor that Princess did not keep you informed of the situation.

I would be upset too!

Best wishes to you all and to the passenger who's cruise was sadly aborted.

Having sailed on the cruise in question overall we had a very enjoyable time - Good crowd - good food - good shows - Princess tends to be our favourite cruise line and have now done a dozen with them. Regarding the emergency the one question i had and in fact most people i spoke to is that whilst we totally understood the need for a medical emergency stop it was WHY Dover ! we must have been well up the UK Coast if it took 4 hours to return there - I know it may have been availability of space - But Harwich - Hull - Newcastle - Edinburgh - even Hook of Holland may have been reached in similar timescales and would not have lost so much time meaning maybe we might have got a few hours in Stavanger or at least cruised the fjord ( tide and traffic flow willing) or was it ££££

Be interested to hear an answer - With regards to the condition of patient heard nothing apart from the fact he had been transferred to Kings College London

Be interested to hear an answer - With regards to the condition of patient heard nothing apart from the fact he had been transferred to Kings College London

'Be interested to hear the answer'---That's one thing you will not be told!

For 'Operational Reasons' we did not go into Genoa on 21.05.17 on Crown. I asked the reason when I requested a rebate on a portion of our Excursion that we did not take and was told 'It was the Captain's decision.'

No bad weather, the new Majestic Princess had been there the previous day, so why didn't we go in????

We also had a medical emergency and left Barcelona 3 hrs late on 17.05.17. We were not told the reason, but as police were seen on the ship, questions were asked and rumours were rife.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From what company did you purchase your insurance?? $500 does not even cover the cost of the cruise. How could you be so naive. Obviously, did not read all the policy BEFORE you got on the airplane to the port you thought you were getting on. Things happen. WE have to be responsible for our own traveling.

And ask questions of the insurance company. If you do not understand the policy, call and speak with someone and go over each item. This board has a lot of great information. Passengers have brought up things that perhaps, some of us would never have thought about when buying insurance. ie: mechanical/breakdown of ship after cruise has started.

Happy Cruising !

I sure hope the poster was correct that the stricken passenger was alive and taken to a hospital. From where I stood on the Promenade deck when they took him off by stretcher, I assumed he was deceased. The blanket covered his face. Perhaps this was for privacy sake. But we supposed that was the real reason that he wasn't airlifted or disembarked at a Belgian or Dutch port, or an English port further north. Anyway, I heard no anger expressed over missing Stavanger, only disappointment. Everyone I heard talking was sympathetic to the passenger and family and seemed to understand the situation.