Online travel sites?

ILoveStThomas

I used one and was happy with the service and pricing. I googled the name and found they had been in business several years, and had positive reviews online. You need to do some research or get personal recommendations from friends.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most of the large ones (those which might come up on the 1st page when Googling "Cruise Travel Agencies") are reliable, some may not be. Ask friends, co-workers, neighbors who they've used. Check your local 'big box' store or automobile insurance agency - many of them handle cruises. Another option - click on "Deals" at the top of the Cruise Critic home page and take a look at several that come up. Each one will list multiple agencies. It's likely that these agencies would not be a 'rip off' or CC wouldn't take their advertising (at least we'd like to think so!). Check BBB for any negative ratings on any you're interested in. Read through all the current threads on travel agencies - there's one further down the page on this Celebrity board titled "Travel Agents - Generic Discussion".

When you contact one, ask specific questions like "Do you charge a cancellation fee, how are payments handled, exactly what will my final cost be, what perks will you provide". Once you're satisfied with the answers and book a cruise, the agency will send you detailed paperwork to review and sign before your booking is official. READ IT and ask questions until you're satisfied.

If you book with an agency that books in large quantity, you can offer score lower rates if they have a block of rooms bought at a group rate. Too they can offer additional incentives on top of anything offered by the cruiseline.

Compare offers apples to apples. And as mentioned, read every word and number before putting down the cash. Request all bids include ALL port charges, fees and taxes. (Same room category). And any cancellation/change fees.

You won't get ripped off if you are diligent. And the rewards are worth the time.