Belfast Excursion Logistics

Hello,

I've only been on one cruise before, and I travelled with someone who was risk-averse, so we never booked anything until we landed.

However, I'm travelling with and planning for a larger group, and I may need to pre-book a day excursion at Belfast. We're going mid-July.

I've read a lot of reviews already but I was wondering if someone could help me clarify a few questions before I make a decision.

1. Is Belfast one of those ports where the ship may not land due to bad weather? I know that's unpredictable, but is it less likely here? I'm just worried in case we don't dock, and we lose the payment for the tour.

2. Would it be advisable to just wait until the day of, and talk to operators that morning? Or would the tours likely be booked solid. I've never sailed in the middle of summer before.

3. A few members of the party want to go to Giant's Causeway and the Titanic Experience, so I've been looking at several operators with that option. I'm really worried that we'd be rushed at both places and people will be unsatisfied. I checked several tour operators, and the one that allows 2 hours at each of those is McComb, so I'm leaning towards that one. Has anyone experienced their Cruise Excursion Option 1 where they visit the Titanic exhibit when it opens, and then go to Giant's Causeway? When do we get back to the ship?

For our itinerary our departure at night is 9pm, so maybe we'll have an hour to walk around after the tour before going back to the ship.

I know a few of the usual stops for the Giant's Causeway would be skipped, like the Distillery, but the people in my party seems to be alright with that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

A few years ago we did the British Isles cruise and docked in Belfast with no problems. It was raining on and off all day. Our ship had a shuttle bus from the dock to the center of Belfast. We were told we could exchange money there since we had been using Euros in Dublin, and now must have Pounds Sterling in Belfast. So the bus dropped everyone off at the tourist info office, and of course, they ran out of money. But there was an ATM nearby, so we could get Pounds from that. I don't think any ship would have a problem docking in Belfast. On the rest of that cruise, we were not able to put in at Galway and had to leave Londonderry early because of bad weather.

As far as the Titanic Experience, we chose not to do that. But about a 3-4 minute walk from the Titanic Experience building is the SS Nomadic, which used to be the tender for the Titanic (going from Cherbourg to the Titanic). This was a wonderful visit, for which we had pre-paid tickets (done online), although as it was raining, we were the only ones in line. We just took a taxi there and back (the Nomadic ticket office will be happy to phone for a taxi for you to go back.)

How did you get stuck with arranging tours for everyone? Sounds like a headache for all the time you're putting in...good luck with your arrangements.

Belfast is not a tender port, it's a proper shipping port so there's no reason why your cruise would not dock.

It is feasible to do both the Giants Causeway and Titanic in a day. The Titanic building is on the opposite side of the port from where the cruise ships dock. The Giants Causeway is approx 75 minutes drive.

We would suggest going to the Causeway first and then the Titanic museum. We also did the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge and Dunluce Castle, which are both close to the Causeway.

We have been to Belfast twice and out favorite tour was a private tour with Odyssey that went to the Giant's Causeway, Rope Bridge and a windshield tour of Belfast.

I recommend booking your tour in advance. If you don't do that, you may not be able to get what you want.

If you still want the Titanic Museum, you can probably do that on your own, but I would check the internet first to see if you need to prebook.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I wish we had more than a day. I'm not used to the cruising style of travel where you only get one day in each place! On the bright side, this will leave lots to see on a future visit to Ireland! This is the only port with such a late departure of 9pm, so hopefully we will get to walk around for a bit after the tour, though the museums/attractions will be closed.

Hey I live in a Belfast - see the answers below (beside your questions).

Hello,

I've only been on one cruise before, and I travelled with someone who was risk-averse, so we never booked anything until we landed.

However, I'm travelling with and planning for a larger group, and I may need to pre-book a day excursion at Belfast. We're going mid-July.

I've read a lot of reviews already but I was wondering if someone could help me clarify a few questions before I make a decision.

1. Is Belfast one of those ports where the ship may not land due to bad weather? I know that's unpredictable, but is it less likely here? I'm just worried in case we don't dock, and we lose the payment for the tour. Sometimes the weather can be very windy in the Irish Sea but during the cruising months it would be rare to see ship visits cancelled.

2. Would it be advisable to just wait until the day of, and talk to operators that morning? Or would the tours likely be booked solid. I've never sailed in the middle of summer before. You'd be better booking in advance as there is no guarantee of tour operators about on the day. You could do the Causeway in the morning (takes about 70mins each way but the drive is lovely)

3. A few members of the party want to go to Giant's Causeway and the Titanic Experience, so I've been looking at several operators with that option. I'm really worried that we'd be rushed at both places and people will be unsatisfied. I checked several tour operators, and the one that allows 2 hours at each of those is McComb, so I'm leaning towards that one. Has anyone experienced their Cruise Excursion Option 1 where they visit the Titanic exhibit when it opens, and then go to Giant's Causeway? When do we get back to the ship? ^^ as above, I'd do Causeway early then you are back and can do the Titanic Museum in your own time. A taxi to it is about £7. Leave 2 hours minimum to get round it or there'd be no point.

For our itinerary our departure at night is 9pm, so maybe we'll have an hour to walk around after the tour before going back to the ship. - you could go from Titanic Museum into town - again a taxi costs around £5.

I know a few of the usual stops for the Giant's Causeway would be skipped, like the Distillery, but the people in my party seems to be alright with that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Enjoy Belfast [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums