Review of the Monarch: Thanksgiving Cruise

Sailfish

Hope I didn't miss this in the thread but what is the refurbishment date? Had no clue when I booked that it was on the schedule for a face lift. What was the ship that went out with garbage bins on the pool deck? Thought that wad the Monarch? Please don't say time is going by so fast it was :(

Sailfish: You did a great job with your review!! I thought it was well spoken, honest and you did take everything with a "grain of salt" as you say. Everything in life is subjective based on personal preferences and it takes one with your attitude to make the best of life. Life is to short to dwell on the simple things, enjoy life while you can because you never know what's in store for ya.

Can't wait to be on the Monarch :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Sailfish

who was the CD on the Monarch? Was he any good and do you know if he played Quest?

They had Quest, but I did not go.

The CD was Moe - he seemed like a nice guy. I know a lot of people like certain CD's more than others, but to me they are all pretty much the same; I sort of find them a little annoying. And since I have never had issues with staff under the CD, I don't have any personal experience dealing with them.

With that said, his announcements and his MC performance at the Captain's Party was fine. He never attended the Diamond Party (though many CD's do); we saw only the Loyalty Ambassador there, touting the fact he was recently voted Royal Caribbean's Loyalty Ambassador of the Year.

I found the CD's demeanor to be both personable and professional; I believe he is filling in for someone temporarily.

Hope I didn't miss this in the thread but what is the refurbishment date? Had no clue when I booked that it was on the schedule for a face lift. What was the ship that went out with garbage bins on the pool deck? Thought that wad the Monarch? Please don't say time is going by so fast it was :(

Sailfish: You did a great job with your review!! I thought it was well spoken, honest and you did take everything with a "grain of salt" as you say. Everything in life is subjective based on personal preferences and it takes one with your attitude to make the best of life. Life is to short to dwell on the simple things, enjoy life while you can because you never know what's in store for ya.

Can't wait to be on the Monarch :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

New carpeting, reupholstery for one lounge and bedding in some staterooms are just a few of the anticipated changes occurring. The Monarch, I was told, will have more non-cosmetic, engine overhaul type work done than cosmetic things. Staff told us a lot of major cosmetic changes occurred during the last dry dock and that the corporate office was more interested in having major mechanical work done than bringing in new decor; the elevators seem to be top priority.

A new ship after all is said and done...I doubt it! But there will be significant staffing changes, I am told,which might correct some the issues I experienced.

Good luck!

we saw only the Loyalty Ambassador there, touting the fact he was recently voted Royal Caribbean's Loyalty Ambassador of the Year.
I voted for him. I am glad to hear he won. This just verifies what I have been saying for quite some time, Danney is th best loyalty ambassador/cruise employee on the seas.

Thank you so much for the fair and honest review. I've got a deposit on the May 15th sailing of the Monarch and will be giving this cruise as a Christmas present to my boyfriend, so I'm really hoping for the best! Not expecting perfection (who ever gets that?), but at least a nice time away, and am thankful to hear frank reviews such as yours.

Perhaps the drydock and all the mechanical fixups will help to locate the mysterious odor that many complain about? the cabin I've reserved is on the lowest deck, mid-ship and I'd really hate to have a strange odor potentially ruining our time. It seems so many people are speaking of this that RCCL must be aware of this and must have this on their list to check, one would think?

It will be interesting to see what reviews are like after the drydock.

Thank you so much for the fair and honest review. I've got a deposit on the May 15th sailing of the Monarch and will be giving this cruise as a Christmas present to my boyfriend, so I'm really hoping for the best! Not expecting perfection (who ever gets that?), but at least a nice time away, and am thankful to hear frank reviews such as yours.

Perhaps the drydock and all the mechanical fixups will help to locate the mysterious odor that many complain about? the cabin I've reserved is on the lowest deck, mid-ship and I'd really hate to have a strange odor potentially ruining our time. It seems so many people are speaking of this that RCCL must be aware of this and must have this on their list to check, one would think?

It will be interesting to see what reviews are like after the drydock.

We had a low-end category I ocean view stateroom on deck level 2 (aka B Deck). Our room was towards the aft, but still considered mid-ship. Our deck was located on the lowest passenger cabin deck on the ship (A Deck - one below ours - had the Medical Center, staff cabins and offices as well as the tender ramp, but no passenger staterooms).

I walked up and down the hallway, and never once came across that infamous "odor" you and so many others talk about. I know what you are talking about, though, as I have smelled it in the hallway before. Luckily, I have never had a room on the Monarch that had to contedn with bad plumbing or the "odor" - hopefully, I never will!

Good luck.

I voted for him. I am glad to hear he won. This just verifies what I have been saying for quite some time, Danney is th best loyalty ambassador/cruise employee on the seas.

I booked our cruise aboard the Radiance in September with him; a very nice person indeed. His announcement about the award, at the Diamond Party, was all he spoke about. I know it was a huge honor, and like you, I was happy for him. But he spent a little too much time dwelling on this. All he could talk about was his award! Understanding how I would react if I were to get such an honor, I too would be gushing.

Denny was very helpful. We knew exactly which voyage we wanted, so I simply gave him the details. Maybe you can tell me, but besides being the onboard travel agent and the person who organizes the Diamond Party, what else does he do? Just curious. Again, I too thought he was a very nice guy!

To be honest with you, I never smelled any odor onboard the ship, other than the smell of fuel burning a couple of times. That was when we were outside. There was a very distinctive odor when we stepped off the ship in Ensenada, the smell is always there. I don't know if it is industrial, or cooking smell, or not the best sewer system in the world. but it is very distinctive. I also smell it in Tijuana, we try to avoid that town also.

I live in F.O. also - small world!

Small world, indeed! I'm on the Monarch on 12-12 (just over a week). We'll have to have coffee in the Village, when I get back, and compare cruises. If you go to the Village Christmas Parade, this Saturday, look for us. DH and I will be in the red and white '56 Chevy Bel Air. Hope to see you there!

By the way, where are you taking the Radiance? We did Alaska, on the Radiance, last May.

We are leaving for Southern California tomorrow morning for our 12/5 sailing on Monarch. There are 11 people in our group, and we would like to bring a case of wine with us. We know there's a corkage fee (no problem), but what's the best way to bring it? Can I simply put it in a separate suitcase and declare it as we enter, or do we need to have each person put a few bottles in their luggage. Suggestions? TIA, Kathy

LadyLawyer & Sailfish, my mom lives in FO at the Fountains. She used to work at Raphael Pharmacy until its closure last year.

We were on the Monarch in March 04 and thought it was just as everyone one else says - a great cruise for a quick get away and to try as a sample cruise. We'll sail on her again, especially knowing what to expect, or better, what not to expect.

See our review in "review" section under Mike B (partners ID) 03/04 sailing.

Oppgaard, we just sailed on the Carnival Spirit, and thought it was really a low end experience. We enjoyed Zihuat & Acapulco, and we spent a lot of time in our cabin watching movies (which really wasn't a bad thing as we both needed some R & R.)

We were grateful to have a cabin of 230 sq. ft. otherwise I would have jumped ship! Never again will we sail Carnival. Food & entertainment was poor and the ship is beyond tacky - albeit, I was at sea, and that's never a bad thing - At the port we were contemplating whether or not to go on the cruise, or, just hang out in San Diego, or even try to get on another ship sailing out of there, because the passenger mix looked downright SCARY!

We were on the Monarch in March 04 and thought it was just as everyone one else says - a great cruise for a quick get away and to try as a sample cruise. We'll sail on her again, especially knowing what to expect, or better, what not to expect.

A LOT can happen to a ship in 21 months....

###

LadyLawyer & Sailfish, my mom lives in FO at the Fountains. She used to work at Raphael Pharmacy until its closure last year.

I used to think FO was such a little town, particularly since I live in the Village. At the Vancouver Airport, on our way home from an Alaskan cruise on the Radiance, we met a couple who'd just gotten off the Island Princess. We started talking and found out that they lived about 10 blocks from us. Funny .... :rolleyes: If your Mom is up to going to the Village Christmas Parade tomorrow @ 4PM, have her wave at us. She'll probably get a kick out of DH's classic car.

Bow Thrusters,

We were in an aft wrap around balcony suite which had a separate bedroom and both the rooms were tiny but it was good to be able to close them off. The spa tub never worked and the door to the dressing area was stuck. They never did fix the spa tub and they fixed the door once and then it stuck again. Our cabin attendant was about the worst we ever had. At least our waiter and assistant waiter were fantastic which made dinner the one thing to look forward to.

We just got back yesterday from the 4 night cruise on Monarch. This was our first cruise on RCI, having sailed on Princess 7 times, Carnival twice and Disney once. We are a married couple aged 53 and 39 and took our 37 year old sister in law and our 14 year old son....all in the same cabin. It was crowded yes, but we were only there for getting ready for nightime activities and sleeping. Our son was usually not there as he chose to go to the buffet with the friends he met onboard. We had that sewer smell in the cabin at times, and the toilet clogged up once but they fixed it. Overall was positive, but the negatives were the smell, that came and went, and the cabin size. Also much rust and frayed carpet on the ship. The production shows were excellent (especially the farewell show, Star Struck). The showroom was large and comfortable. The adults only comedian on the last night was very good, and he was not as offensive as advertised, though the show was short. My wife was laughing hysterically. The comedian with the duck puppet (Chucky) was good and the audience participation was hilarious. The nightclub, where we like to hang out on most ships, played disco the first hour and then hip hop the rest of the night, so I was disappointed that they didnt mix it up a little and appeal to more variety of tastes. The fellow passengers were quite an eclectic bunch....all races, ages, and formality of dress. I wore a tux on formal night and saw very few other tuxes, however, most people looked at least very nice and appeared to respect the dress code. I usually play a little video poker and the slots seemed nice and loose (which means I lost a lot slower than usual). The adult only game show "Quest" in the disco on the next to last night was completely packed and was entertaining to watch the teams compete so vigorously, however it was obvious that many had the questions in advance. For example, when the cruise director asked for a picture of the White House, about 20 people immediately mobbed him on stage with such pictures. The best part is when they asked a man and woman from each of the 20 or so teams to join him onstage and then they were told to completely exchange clothing with each other....most of them did not exchange underwear however, but some of the more daring women did just that, so from my last row seat there was some glimses of nudity (thank God they looked good) and then they all had to simulate their favoritie sexual positions....something I had not seen on the other cruises. Of course, they warned the audience ahead of time that they should leave if easily offended. The cruise director Moe was just so-so, and sometimes I could not understand what he was saying. I like playing trivia a lot on cruises, but there were only three games for the whole cruise. We also like seeing movies in the ships theater, but there was no such theater. My son liked the rock climbing wall and he had not wait. We took alcohol on board and bought some in the ports and it was no problem. However, they don't let you take your own wine to dinner, which all the other cruise lines we have been on do. Prices of drinks were reasonable and the house champagne was only about $20. They did not push the bingo or art auctions so vigorously like they do on other ships. One thing I did not like is that they made announcements in your cabin on the speaker, which is very irritating to be woken up at all hours...other lines only make the announcements in public areas....I guess they figure you are not sleeping on a cruise. The quality of food in the buffet was not very good, so we ate in the dining room as much as allowed. Only offered lunch there on one day, however. The food was pretty good. The sourdough rolls were made fresh daily and were the best rolls I have had on a cruise. I had the lamb shank, prime rib, steak with bernaise sauce and the filet (which though they said could only be served medium, was medium-rare...exactly as I wanted it). The menus were very attractive and offered good selections. The escargot was ok but Princess makes better. Desserts were very good, especially the key lime pie on the last night. Wish they had lobster though, I missed that. No singing or parading by the waiters, though the chefs paraded through the dining room. Overall, for the price (about $250 per person) it was a good cruise. I prefer Princess however, but maybe because we are more familiar with it. Catalina was perfect, Ensenada was cleaner than I thought it would be. Didn't get off the ship in San Diego as we had been there many times. The tender in catalina was HUGE...actually a ship unto itself....we were used to the little dingy size tender boats. Getting on and off the ship went fairly well, about like any other cruise. So, to summarize, it was a good value but I prefer Princess still.

We just got back yesterday from the 4 night cruise on Monarch. This was our first cruise on RCI, having sailed on Princess 7 times, Carnival twice and Disney once. We are a married couple aged 53 and 39 and took our 37 year old sister in law and our 14 year old son....all in the same cabin. It was crowded yes, but we were only there for getting ready for nightime activities and sleeping. Our son was usually not there as he chose to go to the buffet with the friends he met onboard. We had that sewer smell in the cabin at times, and the toilet clogged up once but they fixed it. Overall was positive, but the negatives were the smell, that came and went, and the cabin size. Also much rust and frayed carpet on the ship. The production shows were excellent (especially the farewell show, Star Struck). The showroom was large and comfortable. The adults only comedian on the last night was very good, and he was not as offensive as advertised, though the show was short. My wife was laughing hysterically. The comedian with the duck puppet (Chucky) was good and the audience participation was hilarious. The nightclub, where we like to hang out on most ships, played disco the first hour and then hip hop the rest of the night, so I was disappointed that they didnt mix it up a little and appeal to more variety of tastes. The fellow passengers were quite an eclectic bunch....all races, ages, and formality of dress. I wore a tux on formal night and saw very few other tuxes, however, most people looked at least very nice and appeared to respect the dress code. I usually play a little video poker and the slots seemed nice and loose (which means I lost a lot slower than usual). The adult only game show "Quest" in the disco on the next to last night was completely packed and was entertaining to watch the teams compete so vigorously, however it was obvious that many had the questions in advance. For example, when the cruise director asked for a picture of the White House, about 20 people immediately mobbed him on stage with such pictures. The best part is when they asked a man and woman from each of the 20 or so teams to join him onstage and then they were told to completely exchange clothing with each other....most of them did not exchange underwear however, but some of the more daring women did just that, so from my last row seat there was some glimses of nudity (thank God they looked good) and then they all had to simulate their favoritie sexual positions....something I had not seen on the other cruises. Of course, they warned the audience ahead of time that they should leave if easily offended. The cruise director Moe was just so-so, and sometimes I could not understand what he was saying. I like playing trivia a lot on cruises, but there were only three games for the whole cruise. We also like seeing movies in the ships theater, but there was no such theater. My son liked the rock climbing wall and he had not wait. We took alcohol on board and bought some in the ports and it was no problem. However, they don't let you take your own wine to dinner, which all the other cruise lines we have been on do. Prices of drinks were reasonable and the house champagne was only about $20. They did not push the bingo or art auctions so vigorously like they do on other ships. One thing I did not like is that they made announcements in your cabin on the speaker, which is very irritating to be woken up at all hours...other lines only make the announcements in public areas....I guess they figure you are not sleeping on a cruise. The quality of food in the buffet was not very good, so we ate in the dining room as much as allowed. Only offered lunch there on one day, however. The food was pretty good. The sourdough rolls were made fresh daily and were the best rolls I have had on a cruise. I had the lamb shank, prime rib, steak with bernaise sauce and the filet (which though they said could only be served medium, was medium-rare...exactly as I wanted it). The menus were very attractive and offered good selections. The escargot was ok but Princess makes better. Desserts were very good, especially the key lime pie on the last night. Wish they had lobster though, I missed that. No singing or parading by the waiters, though the chefs paraded through the dining room. Overall, for the price (about $250 per person) it was a good cruise. I prefer Princess however, but maybe because we are more familiar with it. Catalina was perfect, Ensenada was cleaner than I thought it would be. Didn't get off the ship in San Diego as we had been there many times. The tender in catalina was HUGE...actually a ship unto itself....we were used to the little dingy size tender boats. Getting on and off the ship went fairly well, about like any other cruise. So, to summarize, it was a good value but I prefer Princess still.

Hi Everyone - this is the OP! Great Review - I know this will help others - you gave a lot of good details, especially concerning the entertainment (we didn't go to any of the shows).

We too ate just about every meal in the dining room; unfortunately, only one lunch is served there (which I neglected to mention was very good).

Ladylawyer, we went skiing this weekend up at Heavenly - stayed in South Lake Tahoe, so we missed the parade. We live off of Sunset near Kenneth, but I ride my bike down to the River over Hazel and come up through the Village via the foot bridge to head home. Besides doing my ride, I seldom go into the village. I used to go to a salon there years ago.

Suzi,

The parade was fun, albeit short. Small town, small parade. I'm sure the skiing was good, after the rain we had on Thursday.

I'm on the Monarch next Monday, so I'm in pre-cruise mode (part excitement, part panic). Again, I appreciate your review and the recommendations from you and the other posters.

Happy Holidays, Everyone! ~ L

gregnbarb, we just arrived home from our 4 day Monarch cruise (12/5-12/9). We had a wonderful time, until the disembarkation process. My son, daughter-in-law and other son were on deck 2, and since we were all traveling together (9 of us), we elected to wait for them and disembark together. This meant we were the last group off the ship. Our group was not called for disembarkation until 11am and the toilets all over the ship stopped flushing around 9:30 am. Not sure what happened, but by 11 am, most of the public bathrooms were closed. My daugter-in-law was appalled when she entered one to discover raw sewage on the floor. Needless to say, people were pretty upset and complained bitterely. My assumption is that someone put something down one of the toilets that they shouldn't have, causing a breakdown in the entire system. I will be interested to learn what happened. Sad to end a wonderful time on this low note. There apparently are many new customs agents at the port, making for an unusally slow disembarkation process. Not having ANY functioning bathrooms made it a nightmare! Hope things are better for those of you sailing in the near future.

Kathy

That is the biggest problem I have with that cruise and it really has nothing to do with RCI. L.A. customs sucks. It adds a sour note to the end of a perfectly good cruise. And for the most part it is not RCI's fault. L.A. needs to fix up that port and needs to fix it's customs.

That is the biggest problem I have with that cruise and it really has nothing to do with RCI. L.A. customs sucks. It adds a sour note to the end of a perfectly good cruise. And for the most part it is not RCI's fault. L.A. needs to fix up that port and needs to fix it's customs.

LOL Erick, getting on and off the Monarch was the best part of our cruise :D We only had BCs, left our cabin at 8:10 and we were in our car by 8:35.

Did you read Gordon's post stating that the Navigator is not coming to CA? That just stinks!! I sure wish they would bring some newer ships to the West Coast.

###

Archived