Excursions from Livorno

We thought we might try something a little different this coming cruise. Has anyone done the Chianti Region and Castle tour?

I don't do any shore excursions offered by any cruise line. I prefer to do my own tour whether it be through a local guide or on my own using public transportation. Livorno is very well connected with trains if you wish to venture out.

I spent a week in Florence last year and toured the nearby Chianti region. I loved it, especially Greve in Chianti. Beautiful area, great food and great wineries. Whatever you do, enjoy.

Thank you both for your input. I agree about Lucca. We did this excursion a couple of years ago and I'm almost tempted to go back. Have also spent a few days in Florence. So the Chianti countryside and winery sound tempting....

• 1 month later...

We were thinking of taking the city bus #2 down to Montenero and then the funicular to the top (its included in the bus pass). Has anyone else been there and could perhaps comment? We've spent a 3 week vacation in the Florence area in the past, so we've pretty much done all the normal stuff (Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Siena, San Gimingiano etc.)