Latitudes for 18 Year Old

cruis247g

Hello all,

I think I'm confused about Latitudes and whether or not minors accrue Latitudes points. I thought that cruises taken when a child is under 18 years of age would be credited towards Latitude status when the child turns 18. However, I just spoke with NCL and was told by a rep and her supervisor that my understanding is incorrect. They said that nothing counts before age 18, that is, even if you've sailed over 100 days as a minor, you are still at 0 points when you turn 18. Were both the rep and her supervisor wrong?

She read me this from the website:

There are no requirements; you will be automatically enrolled into the Latitudes Rewards Program. You must be over 18 years of age, have completed an eligible sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

To me that means that one receives credit for cruises taken as a minor, but only after one turns 18. The rep and supervisor said it means that only cruises taken after one is 18 count.

I've seen earlier threads where people explained the program as I understood it. Could it have changed as part of the recent Latitudes program revision? Has anyone had experience with this since the program changed in February?

Thank you in advance for any insight!

That wording is quite clear. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited.

I wouldn't be too worried about what you are told by NCL telephone reps. They don't have a great record for accuracy. If fact, you could make an argument to say that what you have been told is actually further proof that you do get the points credited, as they seem to be wrong more often than not.

Hello all,

I think I'm confused about Latitudes and whether or not minors accrue Latitudes points. I thought that cruises taken when a child is under 18 years of age would be credited towards Latitude status when the child turns 18. However, I just spoke with NCL and was told by a rep and her supervisor that my understanding is incorrect. They said that nothing counts before age 18, that is, even if you've sailed over 100 days as a minor, you are still at 0 points when you turn 18. Were both the rep and her supervisor wrong?

She read me this from the website:

There are no requirements; you will be automatically enrolled into the Latitudes Rewards Program. You must be over 18 years of age, have completed an eligible sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line. Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

To me that means that one receives credit for cruises taken as a minor, but only after one turns 18. The rep and supervisor said it means that only cruises taken after one is 18 count.

I've seen earlier threads where people explained the program as I understood it. Could it have changed as part of the recent Latitudes program revision? Has anyone had experience with this since the program changed in February?

Thank you in advance for any insight!

My understanding (and the way it worked with my grandkids) is that all paid cruises taken count but you don't become an official Latitudes member until you reach 21. Then your cruises are added in and you get Latitudes status. As a backup, you should keep track of the cruises too so you can present information. I suspect, though, that kids on the Kids Sail Free program won't get credit.

I believe the delay until 21 is because they can't rent them a room or receive some of the benefits until they are 21. By the way, make sure to talk to a Latitudes Rep, not just anyone, if you have to call about the situation.

We recently cruised with my children after they turned 18. After that cruise, I emailed NCL with their names and past cruise info. NCL replied with their latitude numbers and correct points which included all cruises sailed as minors.

I've never heard any talk of delaying until 21 before.

As for actual experiences, there was a discussion on here fairly recently. The discussion was certainly after the new scheme was introduced, but I couldn't say for sure when the actual experiences reported were from.

Anyway, from memory, a number of people confirmed that they did get the points. Some had them credited after the first cruise as an 18 year old, and I'm pretty sure one person said they got them credited when they asked before the first cruise.

This isn't the first time I have heard of people being told that points won't be credited, but I don't recall a single person who has reported not actually getting them.

My understanding (and the way it worked with my grandkids) is that all paid cruises taken count but you don't become an official Latitudes member until you reach 21. Then your cruises are added in and you get Latitudes status. As a backup, you should keep track of the cruises too so you can present information. I suspect, though, that kids on the Kids Sail Free program won't get credit.

I believe the delay until 21 is because they can't rent them a room or receive some of the benefits until they are 21. By the way, make sure to talk to a Latitudes Rep, not just anyone, if you have to call about the situation.

Incorrect information. The age to become a Latitudes member is 18 and there is NO delay until 21.

Latitudes Frequently Asked Questions:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/faq

Just reading what you were quoted: Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age. This says in very non-ambiguous terms that the 18 yr old, after making one cruise as an adult, will be credited with cruises taken as a minor. Has the 18 yr old taken that cruise with accrued points not showing up? Could it have changed? Of course, but the quoted material given to you doesn't indicate a change.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

We're about to take a cruise, so I checked on my 18 year old's status. All of his cruises showed up, including those from when he was a minor, except for one adjustment that was supposed to be done for the whole family (we were in a suite, but didn't originally get the extra point, so they did an adjustment to correct the error). Thus, I called to try to have his account corrected. The rep said that my 18 year old shouldn't have any points for any cruises taken before the age of 18 and if we try to correct his account, he would probably lose all these points because he shouldn't have them! Then I asked for a supervisor for clarification and she said the same thing. I know this is not what happened in the past and I can't believe it's correct, but I'm not sure what to do.

We recently cruised with my children after they turned 18. After that cruise, I emailed NCL with their names and past cruise info. NCL replied with their latitude numbers and correct points which included all cruises sailed as minors.

Thank you! That's very helpful!

We're about to take a cruise, so I checked on my 18 year old's status. All of his cruises showed up, including those from when he was a minor, except for one adjustment that was supposed to be done for the whole family (we were in a suite, but didn't originally get the extra point, so they did an adjustment to correct the error). Thus, I called to try to have his account corrected. The rep said that my 18 year old shouldn't have any points for any cruises taken before the age of 18 and if we try to correct his account, he would probably lose all these points because he shouldn't have them! Then I asked for a supervisor for clarification and she said the same thing. I know this is not what happened in the past and I can't believe it's correct, but I'm not sure what to do.

Our DD turned 18 in Jan (before the change to the program) and they didn't update her status to what I'd call active like they did for kids turning 18 in the past. I had contacted them twice but they never responded. Now it seems they are changing their rules or not grandfathering people in before the change to the program in Feb from the info you are getting.

Thank you ColinIllinois.

I think that's the first number I used, but if I can't find an e-mail address, I'll try calling again and hope for better luck. Since all the CC'rs read the FAQ response the same way, I'm guessing that's the correct interpretation.

Ok, so this thread got me wondering so I called. My daughter just turned 18 and We are platinum plus so she should be also. First person I spoke with said at 21 they get the points they have accrued, second person said at 18 they get the points accrued and the third person (supervisor) said AFTER the first cruise and on the next one they take once they turn 18 they get the benefits. They must also still be in a cabin with someone 21.

Ok, so this thread got me wondering so I called. My daughter just turned 18 and We are platinum plus so she should be also. First person I spoke with said at 21 they get the points they have accrued, second person said at 18 they get the points accrued and the third person (supervisor) said AFTER the first cruise and on the next one they take once they turn 18 they get the benefits. They must also still be in a cabin with someone 21.

Thanks for checking Pieshops! That is just too funny - three representatives with three different answers :D! The way I read it on the website, it seems most similar to what the supervisor said. I'm very glad to hear that all the cruise credits earned as a minor don't disappear!

Thanks for checking Pieshops! That is just too funny - three representatives with three different answers :D! The way I read it on the website, it seems most similar to what the supervisor said. I'm very glad to hear that all the cruise credits earned as a minor don't disappear!

And this pisses me off to no end. I was under the impression it was 18. Our next cruise we have booked is in December 2018 for a 14 day South America Cruise. We are 95 percent sure there is anyway we can get a cruise in before that. Our daughter just turned 18 and now will get no benefits on this cruise, very frustrating.

I understand. I wouldn't swear to this (for my memory may have failed), but I think that my older son received his benefits on his first cruise after turning 18, so your daughter may get lucky. The "wait until the second cruise after turning 18 to get your benefits" seems inordinately complex. It seems like it should simply be --- when a child turns a specified age, s/he then receives the appropriate status and associated benefits.

Loyalty benefits cost the cruise line very little and can certainly generate a great deal of good will. From financial and marketing perspectives, I'd encourage NCL to spend a few dollars to give the 18 year olds their benefits and thus, keep the parents, who spend thousands of dollars per cruise, happy and continuing to book cruises with NCL for many years to come!! We started cruising NCL when another line changed their loyalty club and we lost cruise credits. It annoyed me so much that I started looking at other cruise lines and ended up cruising NCL....but I guess that's another story:).

I hope you have a great time in South America and that your daughter gets her platinum plus status. That sounds like a wonderful cruise.

I understand. I wouldn't swear to this (for my memory may have failed), but I think that my older son received his benefits on his first cruise after turning 18, so your daughter may get lucky. The "wait until the second cruise after turning 18 to get your benefits" seems inordinately complex. It seems like it should simply be --- when a child turns a specified age, s/he then receives the appropriate status and associated benefits.

Loyalty benefits cost the cruise line very little and can certainly generate a great deal of good will. From financial and marketing perspectives, I'd encourage NCL to spend a few dollars to give the 18 year olds their benefits and thus, keep the parents, who spend thousands of dollars per cruise, happy and continuing to book cruises with NCL for many years to come!! We started cruising NCL when another line changed their loyalty club and we lost cruise credits. It annoyed me so much that I started looking at other cruise lines and ended up cruising NCL....but I guess that's another story:).

I hope you have a great time in South America and that your daughter gets her platinum plus status. That sounds like a wonderful cruise.

Thanks so much, we will have fun no matter what

Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds to me like they need to take a cruise after they are 18 before the previous cruises as a minor are credited. So no status until first cruise post age 18?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

Cruises taken as a minor will be credited to the guest on their first cruise taken after they turn 18 years of age.

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds to me like they need to take a cruise after they are 18 before the previous cruises as a minor are credited. So no status until first cruise post age 18?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

I think that is one of the questions of the day! Unfortunately, it seems that there are almost as many unique answers as there are phone calls to NCL and past experiences seem to vary.

If your 18 year old has his/her Latitudes number, which often appears near the name on old invoices, s/he can sign into Latitudes and see what appears for Latitudes level and Cruise History. That may (?) help.

Incorrect information. The age to become a Latitudes member is 18 and there is NO delay until 21.

Latitudes Frequently Asked Questions:

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/faq

This must have been a recent change. My sister and I were both bronze when we were <18yo. Our cards said bronze. We went to the latitudes welcome parties too where alcohol was served. The latitudes party invitation had our names on it too with our parents. We got all the perks, which tbh you aren't missing much until you hit gold.

Your son is acrueing points. I pulled my rewards summary last time I was on NCL, and I had points when I was a minor.

Edited by CruisingUS

I think that is one of the questions of the day! Unfortunately, it seems that there are almost as many unique answers as there are phone calls to NCL and past experiences seem to vary.

If your 18 year old has his/her Latitudes number, which often appears near the name on old invoices, s/he can sign into Latitudes and see what appears for Latitudes level and Cruise History. That may (?) help.

Our DD up until the change in the program in Feb. said status as "child" and still does even though over 18. Prior to Feb. it did show cruise history - now it does not.

Contacted NCL via FB as others have had luck getting issues resolved but told I have to contact them and gave phone #. We shall see but not holding breath.